The UK, what do you like best about living here?

Guest chris955

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had the community watch paper through the door for my village. There was no crime last month - but we were warned to be on our guard, and they gave us a review of past months when there had been crimes.

Sometimes I just love England.

I like the fact that I feel safe, We can leave our cars unlocked outside all the time with no fear of them being stolen, we have loads of things out the back at the moment with me doing renovations and never have to worry about anything going missing.

Quality of life.

fresh food, best meats in the world IMO....the people and our humour which the rest of the world does just does not get it, the scenery, the history, the food, Europe on doorstep, stunning 4 seasons, the rivers the coastline, the green green fields, best actors in the world, best music in the world, premiership is best in the world.the lost warm sunny nights sitting outside the pub till 11pm, no flies no mozzies, best tv in the world, best radio also, London voted best city in the world on numerous occasions.....Stratford upon Avon which people can only dream of living...the Cotswolds....ahhhh the Cotswolds.

Ant & Dec, Dame Judy Dench, BBC, The Beatles, Daffs, Bonfire night, Royals, Pomp and Circumstance, Parky, Meadows, Motorway network, Centre parcs, Quality Campsites, Churches, Villages, Cities, Venues, Comedy, Fetes, Days out, Christmas, M&S, Peppa Pig, Supermarkets, Cheap Flights, Museums, Rain, Conkers, Peter Kay, Sunday roast, Late summer nights, Bluebells, Bumble bees, Argos, Free dental and pescriptions for kids, Strawberry fields, cream teas, Morris Dancers, Choice of theme parks, Robins, Snow, West End, Countryside, Small primary schools, School meals, humour, wit, Oxo, Oxford Cambridge boat race, Wimbledon..............................................Feeling like part of the real world, having an interest in what's going on out there.

Even though I'm heading back to Spain................I just can't wait to feel "the right way round again" :) :) By that I mean the Seasons the right way round..............not having to deal with the time difference............Christmas in Winter etc etc.............may seem trivial to some BUT after 5 years I still can't get my head around it and don't think I ever will! I have enjoyed my time here but................oh and can't wait for the cold and a decent sniff of fresh air haha

its a very true saying the grass isnt always greener, we have only been in oz for 7 months and iam already well aware of what i gave up and what we left behind in the uk iam not just talking about family and friends but just how beautiful the country is, we loved to visit wales and the lakes for walking and just taking in the country side, scotland york cotswolds there are too many beautiful places in the uk to mention we no we have made a big mistake coming to oz but like the rest had to give it go or would never have known, our son is due here in june for 12 months then we are all going back to the uk together carnt wait iam counting the days i miss it so much :(

The UK is full of Indians so curry is very easily attainable.

:biggrin:

All the weather in 1 day - well from my experience its usually only sh*t weather.

Things to do all the time unlike Perth

Culture and humour rather than just boring functional talk you get over here

Edited by dustyroad

Variety in just about everything, the countryside and being able to take the same walk through a countryside that changes by the day, spring flowers, the weather that doesn't stop you from being outdoors, park and ride services, sense of community, courteous drivers, being able to walk down a street and see a thousand years of human endeavour right in front of you, English Heritage and the National Trust, Waitrose and our local butcher, excellent restaurants that don't cost an arm and a leg, people who will have a chat in the supermarket queue. That'll do for starters!

Was that a Kestral Stacey? Not sure if you get them up there, but we see them hovering over the fields down south. Magical little birds.

I saw a bird of prey the other day while I was driving, that went crashing into a tree to grab something. Strangest thing. Never saw it clearly. I thought most birds of prey took on the wing or from the ground. Never seen anything like it.

I think somebody had a BBQ on earlier lol. We saw a buzzard when we were out walking, was doing that cool hover thing for ages

Guest chris955

We see so many birds of prey around here, it is amazing, everything from Buzzards to Kites, Kestrels and various other hawks and owls.

Was that a Kestral Stacey? Not sure if you get them up there, but we see them hovering over the fields down south. Magical little birds.

I saw a bird of prey the other day while I was driving, that went crashing into a tree to grab something. Strangest thing. Never saw it clearly. I thought most birds of prey took on the wing or from the ground. Never seen anything like it.

It was high up in the sky, dave said it was a kestral so i'll take his word for it, i dont know much about birds of prey. Was cool to see though! We get pereguine falcons here too, theres a breeding pair at the heritage site near us. I've saw them a few times and you can hear them. I like seeing wildlife like that

It was high up in the sky, dave said it was a kestral so i'll take his word for it, i dont know much about birds of prey. Was cool to see though! We get pereguine falcons here too, theres a breeding pair at the heritage site near us. I've saw them a few times and you can hear them. I like seeing wildlife like that

Loads of falcons around my area, you can watch them as they glide on thermals fir what seems hours.

Guest chris955

I love the friendly attitude of the people, their genuine warmth.

The colours of the countryside, especially in spring and autumn.

The beautuful blue sky on a morning like this.

There really is a big list.

Guest chris955

The incredibly generous nature of the people, just look at the recent phenomenal amount of money raised for Red Nose Day.

Guest chris955
Daylight saving!

(yes, I know most Aussie states have it, but I'm a Qlder!)

I love daylight saving but I hate what it does to the curtains :)

Guest chris955

Just a reminder we dont want this to become a competition or a comparison, it is just about what is good about this country. Noone has done it but I dont want the thread to go down that route.

Oh fabulous! There is something like that near where I live. I've only seen it from a great distance soaring up very high, and never on a clear day when I can get a good look. They are fabulous. I remember on holiday in Florida the big birds of prey (eagles or buzzards?) would soar on the thermals, and I'd watch them whilst lying on a airbed in the pool. Nature is wonderful.