The UK, what do you like best about living here?

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

I love Australia, I grew up there but I just feel more at home here.

There are so many great things about this country and I think often you need to leave to fully appreciate it.

Dont forget this is for people actually living here or planning a return.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Australia, I grew up there but I just feel more at home here.

There are so many great things about this country and I think often you need to leave to fully appreciate it.

Dont forget this is for people actually living here or planning a return.

No doubt the haters will be along soon to try and rubbish the thread.....sad people!

cheers mate, I love the place. We were there in october 2012 and it was lovely. London, the Cotswolds, the south coast, Hertfordshire. All with their own unique charm. It will always be home to me. Crap weather or not. It's just home. My home, my England.

Im not sure if im allowed to comment because i havent lived in aus but i will anyway. I like the countryside, the choice in food, clothes, most things really. The fact that i could go camping if i wanted and not worry about anything poisonous biting or anything eating me like it might if i lived in america or canada lol. I quite like the fact that we can get every type of weather in one day (in scotland anyway).

I like how much we do for charity even though as a nation we arent the richest atm. I like that there are so many nice walks to go nearby.

Theres probably loads of other things but i'll stop now!

Guest chris955

Its interesting that I feel the same about Australia but I also see its many problems, that is a crime apparently, amongst a small gang at least. Sad. It is possible to love both but one more than the other.

What do I love about the UK? In a nutshell.. the weather, makes you appreciate when there are absolutely gorgeous days. The proximity to the rest of the world. I haven't overly been able to afford travel outside of Oz much, not regularly, though my mates with decent paying jobs go away every year. On a registered nurses wage, and my bills, I can't afford to. Even travel to the other side of Oz is expensive. The UK.. Europe is on your doorstep, and I could afford to travel around, even the US is only a short flight away. I love the variety in the UK for shopping, the quality, affordability, even daily living items, way more choice and cheaper. I love the cars in the UK. I love the history, the culture, the architecture.. the list goes on.

Like you Homeward, I love Australia, lived here in Oz for 40 years, grew up here as well, I sound like an Aussie, there is no way anyone could pick me for a Pom. Australia has looked after me for a long time eh, and I am thankful for that. But.. can't wait to get back to the northern hemisphere. I have never been happier than I was up there in a long time.

Love the fact we are so close to all different places, a ferry ride to the Isle of white, The Tunnel to France, Quick flight to Jersey or even Guernsey, A Road trip to Cornwall or a day out to the new forest, the list is endless!

For me its mostly the countryside and being able to walk though it.I also like the fact we travel alot,something I never did when I lived in Australia.I like the fact we're working class people but can afford easily to enjoy a good life,going out,holidays o/s,and so on.Sure there are some negatives,but I tend to focus on the positives,the same I did when I lived in Australia.

Guest chris955

I like the fact that I feel safe, We can leave our cars unlocked outside all the time with no fear of them being stolen, we have loads of things out the back at the moment with me doing renovations and never have to worry about anything going missing.

Guest chris955
Yes HMB I was only thinking about safety the other day.I definately feel safer here.I won't go into it on a forum but I've had several horrible experiences when I lived in Australia that were extremely scary.

The house opposite us in Brisbane was burgled a few weeks before we left,our car was broken into in the drive and there was a running battle out the front when a party went wrong. I love village life :)

Arrived back on Good Friday. Had the surprise of seeing my brothers at the airpoort as well as my wifes family. So for me its easy. Its Home. Australia never felt like home to us. Stepped out of terminal 3 took our first breath of uk air in 8 months. It was 2c and the vapour of cold breath looked amazing. Our drive down to devon was picturesque, lambs in the fields, rolling green hills, old country cottages it was awesome. then arrived at my mothers who was waiting at the top steps that i sat on as a 5 yr old and all of my youth to get the hug that we had waited for for so long.

My wife has just got back from a trip to Morrisons and was gobsmacked at the prices.

We scrathced the itch of Oz but when all is said and done we belong in the Uk in Plymouth with family and friends.

Guest chris955

Glad its working out for you back home. There really does seem to be a growing number returning, quite a few disillusioned families but at least you gave it a go.

It's such a lovely day here. We went a walk with the dogs, was only meant to be a short one but we ended up out almost 2 hours. Only met two people the whole walk, i prefer that. Made friends with some horses too lol.

Its amazing what this sort of weather does to my mood - i know some people dont believe in SAD but it def seems to be true in my case. Hopefully spring has landed now and i can start seeing the lambs etc