Australia what do you like best about living here?

PontePom

I love how enthusiastic newbies to Oz are. :)

I've been here 21 years so not exactly a newbie. Still get the feeling of "Wow, I live here", after all that time.

I used to wake up with a feeling of panic dreaming that someone had come up to me on the beach and told me they were having a laugh and I couldn't stay. It's worn off over the years though.:cool:

I'm sure there are negatives to Australia but please take a minute and compare to what the UK has to offer at the moment.

The UK is very negative at the moment, negative outlook for economy, aggressive compensation culture towards each other, poor facilities with huge % of people overweight, coldest winter for years, inflation outstripping earnings, housing beyond most young people, country hugely overcrowded and more people expected. I reluctantly agree with the current government approach and I'm sick of the beleaf of many that you simply don't need to pay back your personal or national debts however it is hard work and absolutely no fun!

I personally love UK but feel that Australia can offer a change to my current routine. Yes Australia will have its faults but I simply feel that i need to experience one of life's little adventures and make the move.

Edited by srg73

I think you're on the wrong thread. This is a +ve Oz thread. Nothing to do with anywhere else.

I'm sure there are negatives to Australia but please take a minute and compare to what the UK has to offer at the moment.

The UK is very negative at the moment, negative outlook for economy, aggressive compensation culture towards each other, poor facilities with huge % of people overweight, coldest winter for years, inflation outstripping earnings, housing beyond most young people, country hugely overcrowded and more people expected. I reluctantly agree with the current government approach and I'm sick of the beleaf of many that you simply don't need to pay back your personal or national debts however it is hard work and absolutely no fun!

I personally love UK but feel that Australia can offer a change to my current routine. Yes Australia will have its faults but I simply feel that i need to experience one of life's little adventures and make the move.

Stupid accents or total no idea of how to pronounce some places or words that I can laugh about when I get home in the evening after hearing them spoken.

Eg such as how the locals pronounce Malaga - if you had ever been to Spain it may make you chuckle:biggrin:

Liking that I live in Perth as it's the closest place to the rest of the world in Australia (even though its bl**dy miles away still)

The weather about now (March / April ) when the sun isnt literally attacking your skin as it is in January / Feb.

The fact it isnt developed yet so there arent many people but ithat comes at a cost of expense and lack of services I guess. Still like that though after commuting on the UK roads.

The people- very tolerant and kind- always rush to help in a crisis and don't seek any reward ( had experience of this in bushfires)

The flora and fauna

The weather in Melbourne ( I like a good hot Summer and a good cold Winter too)

The fundamental honesty of most people here ( not so in some other countries)

The smell of the bush

Beaches of course- have to be about the best in the world.

Guest Guest16631

..........The bring a plate to a gathering/ BBQ.............makes catering so much easier....

..........fresh seafood..........being able to catch it ........OH can kill it .......and eating it there at the free BBQ on the beach.....

..........the smell of the rainforest...........frangipani and the the eucalyptus trees....

............the sound of a didgeridoo............and a summer storm......

..........hot sand and an amazing sunset...........

............the laugh of a kookaburra...............that will always make you smile.......

When I was over there I loved the different wildlife such as the rainbow lorikeets, kookaburras, big blue butterflies (not the big spiders)

The blue sky

Food courts

Being able to wear 'thongs' pretty much most of the year

I recently bought a face scrub (Dermalogica) and for ages I thought, this smell reminds me of something I like... eventually I figured out that it reminded me of the smell of the humidity while in Brisbane in summer. I can't get enough of the smell when I use that scrub! (strange I know) I also figured out it's sort of like the smell you get in a sauna.

I also have a tiny bit of perfume left of a fragrance I don't use normally (it was a gift for my 21st while over there) and that reminds me of Australia when I smell it. I keep it for that reason.

Funnily enough today I had some really good experiences, I get many but forget to share them, but will use this thread to tell them. Firstly though to answer the OP's original question, the very best thing about here is Australians! What a lovely lovely lot of welcoming people you are! I meet many aged Aussies now in my line if work too and I am in awe of the lovely reception I get . The stories and the humour, so lovely. Now back to my stories. I visited a very fabulous Octogenarian today who arrived at her house the same time I did . She had walked back from the beach where every morning she meets four of her friends for a dip in the glorious ocean that is at the end of her road . She is assisted on an aged pension and has a gorgeous 2 bed unit, the sort you would pay a fortune for to go one holiday too. The second story, my son has gone off to school camp. It's 30 degrees pure sunshine, today he's done the water shutes at Hillarys and has a fab few days planed doing amazing stuff in gorgeous weather . All his ex school friends back in the UK have just been to camp in the rain, bitter winds and mud of the British West Country. I love so much about this country but there's a few for you.