3 months back in the UK and............................................... .....................

blobby1000

We want to move back to Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No no, only joking. We did our 6 week trip around the country which was pretty special, although it was mixed with a little anxiety in thinking we ought to be keeping the money for when we got home. But at least it meant we left in a more positive frame of mind. Having said that, we had no regrets when we boarded the flight out of Melbourne and headed home via Bali. Australia was not what we wanted and we were mostly disappointed with the experience. Having said that, since getting home we have put ourselves in an equally difficult situation! We decided that we did not want to return back to where we had come from. We felt that we had lived that life and we wanted to be free to live wherever we wanted. We had always fancied Cornwall and so we headed down here, we found a house within days and I got a job after 2 weeks and Mrs Blobby got one too....People on here warned me that we were going from one situation with no friends to another and I am afraid that that is exactly what has happened!!!! Actually its almost a carbon copy of our experience of arriving in Australia and shows that we have learned very little and its almost amusing. We selected a tiny Cornish village called St Tudy and rented a cottage (we have a house back in Cheltenham waiting for us, but that would have been far too simple!). Well, I imagined popping down the local pub, joining the skittles, darts or pool team and becoming a member of the community whilst drinking plenty of Doom Bar. But it doesn't quite work like that. Just like Australia, people don't welcome you into their world with open arms, you have to work hard and being that the average age in the village is about 83 and there is no skittles pool or darts due to the fact that everybody uses zimmer frames, that idea went right out the window. Our eldest son (aged 5) started in the local school where he is behind (due to Australia starting later) and the teacher wants to put him back and year. We have therefore got him a private tutor to sort out the mess we created. Our other son (aged 3) says every day "it is very very cold!!!" and, in fairness, it is!! Still barely above freezing and its April tomorrow!! I am back working for the NHS as a community psychiatric nurse, I am drowning in paperwork and my caseload is enormous. Mrs Blobby has a job in a nursing home where she is subjected to systematic bullying (as are the other staff) and hates every minute of it!!! So whats the positives!!!??? Well my 78 year old Mum and 86 year old Auntie have been for the weekend. Mrs Blobbys friends are in town for the week and its great to back in England. The countryside, the humour, the fact people talk to you, the beer, the amazing takeaways, the good manners, the tele, the crisp cold sunny mornings, Cheltenham national hunt festival, the music, the courteous drivers, the character, the architecture, the intelligence, the hard work ethic. Its great to be back!!!! Having said this for us, Cornwall is a place we love to go on holiday to and in the summer we will be returning to Cheltenham, to our house, to my job (I hope!) and to our friends, who we actually want to see and not to live 3 hours away from! We remain in the wrong place for now but not the wrong country. We have no regret in coming back. MELBURNE SMELT.

Edited by blobby1000
errors in spelling

I agree!!! For some reason my computer wont allow me to press return on here!!!!

Lol,no worries maaaaaaAAAAAAAATE,im just glad i havent gotta listen to yer moaning about aus(kidding,sort of!),nah seriously,hope things pan out for yer Blob,lifes too short to be somewhere yer dont want to be,each to their own

Glad you have found where you really want to be, it has been a long road for you with plenty of insults you have endured a long the way on this website. We too will be making that journey in the next 18 months and already because I dared to say I find the place boring I am then told by a poster well its not Australia that is boring it must be me that is the boring one, then another poster who goes by a very apt name agrees.

Getting closer then! I think people do tend to underestimate the work involved in starting up again in a new place - some villages can definitely have that cliquey feel to them, some are worse than others but Cheltenham s a pretty good place to be ending up! It's encouraging that you both managed to find work in such a short time too!

Thanks for your update great to hear from you was wondering how you were getting on. I didn't always agree with what you said about Australia, but everyone has a different experience to tell. I am really glad that you managed to find work & am sure the locals will be OK with you once they get to know you! Good luck

Heya Blobby, Me and my wife are making prety much the complete opposite move on thursday lol, going Gloucester to Sydney.... We were looking at Bristol before the Sydney job appeared and it might be worth a look for you!!! Its far more social than Chelt, much more normal to go for a few cheeky ones on the way home from work, allot more accesable and pleanty more to do! Just thought id mention as we were in the "social rut" here in Glos which was our big decider on getting out our selves!

Hi there, wow reading your post reminds us of out current situation, without the bit of moving back to the UK.

It is fair to say that for whatever reason the move to Australia has not quite worked out how we wanted it too. We have also found it hard to make friends. We have tried, but it always seems like you are having to work hard at it and you miss the few good friends that you now know you had back in the UK. Not too sure about you, but we are glad that we have made the move and think it is something that we had to do at the time. It was an adventure that we needed in our life at the time. However, on looking back on things we did not have it that bad in the UK. With the illness of a family member we have realised that the generation above us (our parents) may not have as long as we would want them to have left. We feel that it may be better to spend what time we do have with them in the UK, rather than staying somewhere where we may not want to be and missing out on the time we have got left. At the end of the day if you have the passport you can come back later if you decide it is for you. We were thinking that if we did end up moving back to the UK we would move to another place, but from what you say and from what we were thinking, it may be best to go back to where you know.

We are glad that you are where you want to be and hope that when you move back in the summer, it is where you want to be.

Hi Blobby Gang,

Good to hear from you. Was wondering how your getting on....

I often can relate to a lot of your post as my partner and I had a very similar experience.

Since returning bk (we came bk to the same place, different house though as sold the other one), It has prob taken a year or so to get sorted. Having said that, we both got permanent jobs although i am also a CMHN, and I cannot believe the paperwork and caseloads!!! It's like holding a bag of hot potatoes every day!!!!!! I literally could not sleep at night when I first got the job as I just found it too stressful. However, I have now gotten used to it, but am still not sure I enjoy community working? I wonder if I'm more cut out for the ward as you can, up to an extent leave it there? Time will tell.

I think your nursing experience was a bit different to mine, but that's prob the only bit I miss as I did enjoy my job over there.

Do love being back home though, for all the reasons you have quoted, in particular the good old british humour! You literally cannot beat it!

Yes I have resisted any urge to come on here from the UK and spread the negative vibes!! That would be beyond sad!!!!!!

There is no need for you to do that, there is a small but vocal group on here already who have nothing better to do in the percieved utopia of britain, who take great delight in doing so rather than living their lives.

Thank you all for your warm words of encouragement. Its nice to be back in touch. I had hoped for a few insults just to get a bit of banter going but I cant have it all!!!!! Still cant seem to get paragraphs on here!! Yes we are getting closer! I agree Harpodom, its good to be somewhere here that we don't want to be just to properly confirm we did the right thing in returning.....if we are happier somewhere we don't like in England than we were in Australia then it must be a good move! Yes the CMHT is unreal buttercup.......its stressful and hard work and definitely a case of hot potato juggling, I cant see myself lasting...caseload going up every day and no upper limit set so it could potentially get even more stupid!

Thank you all for your warm words of encouragement. Its nice to be back in touch. I had hoped for a few insults just to get a bit of banter going but I cant have it all!!!!! Still cant seem to get paragraphs on here!! Yes we are getting closer! I agree Harpodom, its good to be somewhere here that we don't want to be just to properly confirm we did the right thing in returning.....if we are happier somewhere we don't like in England than we were in Australia then it must be a good move! Yes the CMHT is unreal buttercup.......its stressful and hard work and definitely a case of hot potato juggling, I cant see myself lasting...caseload going up every day and no upper limit set so it could potentially get even more stupid!

Bloody nora- no upper limit on your case load!!!!!! Arghhhhh!!! That is mad!!!!! I sat at my desk today saying 'I'm a nurse not a friggin administrator'!! The box ticking etc etc is off the scale. I'm sure you can relate...

I would so love to just throw my computer out of the window!:arghh: Some days I feel like one of those poor donkey's in those adverts from abroad- loaded up with heavy bricks!

I do the lottery and live in hope.... Lol!