IT Analyst - no degree though

DeeDub

I have worked in the IT field for the last 13 years, the last 7 in banking as on site support - everything from servers, finance apps, networks etc.

Is a degree neccessary for entry for skilled migration or will my experience suffice - I have a few MCPs.

Do all IT engineers have to take the ACS skills asssesment?

Guest cantwait

Hi

You should be fine. My OH has no degree but 12 years experience. As far as I know all skilled and sponsored migrants have to have their skills assessed, but i'm no expert so please check with a migration agent. If you don't have a degree you will have to do the ACS assessment as well as RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). It is quite in depth and time consuming. About 50 hours work went into my OH's but we got a positive assessment so it was worth it in the end. Try a website called www.RPLhelp.com we got a lot of useful info from this about what layout was expected etc. Good luck

I have just had my skills assessment passed and that was via the ACS RPL route. I have no degree but do have 10+ years experience myself. The forms took ages though, kept going back and to for more detail. That said, the actual assessment only took 3 weeks before we got a positive result.

Good luck.

I can only confirm what has already been said. I have now degree but years (too many to count) of experience. I had to take the RPL route which did take a lot of effort but with help from RPLHelp.com I got throught it. And that was a great feeling when the ACS said 'yes'!

Good luck and persevere with it!

Geoff

I have worked in the IT field for the last 13 years, the last 7 in banking as on site support - everything from servers, finance apps, networks etc.

Is a degree neccessary for entry for skilled migration or will my experience suffice - I have a few MCPs.

Do all IT engineers have to take the ACS skills asssesment?

The advice people have given is good RPL is the way forward either through an agent I used RPLHelp - provides assistance to anyone who is preparing an Australian Computer Society (ACS) Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) application for assessment for migration, including example CBOK sections, project reports and references. also and we are currently waiting the results, we applied firstly though ACS with no RPL and were turned down as no degree and a BTEC National Diploma in IT could not be recognised in OZ. Good luck with it

• 1 month later...
Guest MartinG

I've worked in IT for over 20 years and don't have a degree - I have a job offer to work as an IT Analyst in Sydney and the company are prepared to go the ENS route (subclass 121) for a PR visa. What I need to know is what is the sequence of events that need to take place - should I apply to the ACS for the RPL first or does my propspective employer have to lodge the nomination first. Do I make my visa application before applying for the RPL? Am I right to assume that I need the RPL or is this a decision that is made by the Immigration department?

Archived