Liverpool, England

Red Rose

Funnily enough I love Manchester! Had many, many good nights out there and love gigs in Manchester!

I'm in Waterloo, 5 mins from Surry Hills. What about you? Been here long?

Me? 'MR2?' Can't be me, I'm not from Manchester. (Isn't it a suburb of Liverpool?) (My knowledge of UK geography is rather limited when it comes to north of the Thames (although I was born in South Shields.)

I've been in Surry Hills, working or living, since 1981, albeit with a twelve year 'holiday' back in Southampton, and have owned my unit in Elizabeth St since 1987.

Where does Redfern end and Waterloo begin? I walked down Regent St/Botany Road heading for Alexandria and I think it's somewhere down there. The Iron Duke, Macdonalds on McEvoy St, they are Waterloo? There's another pub about 50 metres past The Iron Duke? What is its name? And The Cauliflower. What suburb is that in!?

I KNEW you weren't talking to me! (It's because I'm old and boring!) I was just moved by all this talk of 'Liverpool' to retreat to my 'throne room' with my chart book to peruse '1963' again, when I got a 4-speed record player for my 9th birthday on Anzac Day (though I'd never heard of Anzac Day then) and I bought 'Please Please Me' & 'She Loves You.' (and 'Like I've Never Been Gone' by Billy Fury & 'Glad All Over' by The Dave Clark Five.') Fifty years ago! It's ancient history now. The song I ended up singing in the shower was not The Beatles but 'From a Jack to a King' by Ned Miller.

I remember talking to a bloke at Royal Mail who was retiring and I asked him:

'What year did you start?' '1963.'

'Before or after The Great Train Robbery?' 'Before.'

'What Beatles' song was in the charts?' 'Please Please Me,'

PS I don't think I have 'Waterloo' on my spreadsheet of Sydney 'burbs' for PIO members so it must be time to both resurrect and re-activate that!

Well i am thrilled to read the responses of this post. I am from the Wirral but all family originate from Liverpool, lived there until i came here aged 22. I love home, i think the people are fabulous and i am so happy when i return, We are only in Oz for two things, better weather and better jobs. But quality of life is at home. As i said i was extremely supprised and thrilled to see how many other people recognise the place for what it really is.

One of my few reasons, perhaps the only one, to go back to England, is to do The Beatles tour.

Did you know that Liverpool in England is named after a town in New South Wales!!!!

Is it Dave.................very good lol!

Edited by pablo

Once was enough. It's just a northern hole like the rest of northern Blighty. A filthy decrepit dump, and that's putting it nicely!

You are such a ridiculous &@£*€ what is your problem??? I hope you are not from down south as you give us a bad name! Get a frigging life and jog on, nobody was asking you anyway.....

I'm a plastic, plastic scouser. A red through and through so most of my time in Liverpool has been spent around Anfield. I have also been there for a few bowling tournaments and always make sure to spend time in the city.

I also worked there for a couple of days a week for about a month when I was training some people in the liver building.

Pretty much all the people I know from Liverpool are great and I get on very well with them.

Don't listen to wendee he is a poisonous little troll that needs to get back under his bridge....

Edited by munchbaby99

Gosh, really, @Scousers? I reckon even without me working ATM we've got a comparable quality of life here; I'm utterly in love with Sydney. We drove through the centre to get to Bronte for the sunrise on Saturday morning and it was just stunning, I love that drive in from the West over the Anzac bridge. I just know I'll never tire of it.

Phil, we're in Concord West, a great little suburb. A bit quiet for some but there are some lovely properties here (There's a heritage home up for sale in nearby Concord that was voted best maintained last year; what I wouldn't give to have the money to get my mitts on it) and it's convenient for lots of things.

Edited by LittleLakeGirl

• 7 years later...
On 03/04/2013 at 09:13, LittleLakeGirl said:

Gosh, really, @Scousers? I reckon even without me working ATM we've got a comparable quality of life here; I'm utterly in love with Sydney. We drove through the centre to get to Bronte for the sunrise on Saturday morning and it was just stunning, I love that drive in from the West over the Anzac bridge. I just know I'll never tire of it.

Phil, we're in Concord West, a great little suburb. A bit quiet for some but there are some lovely properties here (There's a heritage home up for sale in nearby Concord that was voted best maintained last year; what I wouldn't give to have the money to get my mitts on it) and it's convenient for lots of things.

Just saw my comment from a few years ago and i still feel the same. I go back most years, not this year of course. But would move back in a heartbeat. Its 32 years yesterday since we arrived. I had an issue that i needed to talk to someone and its still my mates back home who i rely on, great people.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/03/2013 at 00:01, Red Rose said:

Anyone here from Liverpool or been?

I went many many years ago and hated it. It was as rough as guts back then. But I have heard that it is a great place to live now, as been beautified. I am sure there must still be rough areas there (like anywhere) but on the whole it has a pretty good reputation these days. The real drawcard are the salt of the earth people with no pretensions. I found them as a whole very friendly and welcoming, although a bit common. That sounds terribly snobbish reading back, but that is not my intention. When I was there it seemed almost every other young females desire in life was to find a man, set up a house and have babies. I could not relate to them on that level, as all I wanted to do was travel the world and have adventures. I have met very few Liverpudlians overseas in far flung places.  Personally I really love the seaside suburb of Lytham St Annes, which is an hour North.