Liverpool, England

Red Rose

Born and bred Scouse here... I'd say no worse than any other city in England... we all have good and bad parts...

I love the fact that we are friendly and have a sense of community, some people like it others don't...

Love the quote 'Is it safe to take children there?' do people think there are no children in Liverpool? Anyway thats just me being defensive of a city that is a treat to live in.. however I am going to OZ very soon :)

I'd say to anyone to make a visit at least once.... Lots to do...

He was only joshing mate,no worries,we've took a lot more crap than that about our city in the past,dont think Newjez was being a t##t fwiw

I was born and brought up in Liverpool. My grandfather was a Liverpool docker, my dad a Liverpool bobby. At one time he worked on the dock gate, and he and my g.father had to pretend they didnt know each other :-)

Liverpool is like any city in that it has bits you wouldnt visit in broad daylight with a bouncer beside you, but the city centre is fantastic, as already noted on this thread. Even the suburb where I used to live has improved - they've got pavements and everything :-)

I find that wherever I live, I never have the same feeling of being amongst friends as I do when I hear that accent. Liverpool people are people, good bad and indifferent just like anywhere else - but they do excel at smart arse jokes and at looking out for each other. Great place to visit, and to live in f you choose your suburb carefully - just as you would in any big city.

Edited by Fisher1

Guest Ptp113
How many times have you been to liverpool wendee ?........let me guess ......errrrrrrrr none .......that was the impression i had until i worked there .....it aint las vegas .....but very few places have there own defined spirit ......liverpool has it ......you are either in it or you you aint .

Its not like the west midlands where brum rolls into wolverhampton or coventry .....its very defined

The only other place i have ever been where i could say the city had a soul ....an energy was san francisco .......you cant build it ......having sunshine doesnt guarantee it ........i worked in toxteth and kenny , which are rough....... but i would rather work and have a beer there , than in inner city birmingham.

Once was enough. It's just a northern hole like the rest of northern Blighty. A filthy decrepit dump, and that's putting it nicely!

Hi Wendee

Your view provided quite a startling contrast to others on this thread, very interesting.

I think its really great the way the majority of posters take the time to modify what they say with a bit of good old fashioned tact and kindness, particularly when they know that they are describing someone's home.

The northern hole I came from has come a long way in recent years, but the inhabitants still mostly take the time out to be nice to each other.

Tell me, did you get a refund from the charm school?

Once was enough. It's just a northern hole like the rest of northern Blighty. A filthy decrepit dump, and that's putting it nicely!

Im not allowed to say what i actually want to say so i'll settle for YOUR A IDIOT! How can you slag the place you came from so much?

Im suprised we arent all used to it by now, so immature

Just take no notice Stacey! I'm a ping pong Merseysider - grew up on the Wirral, moved to London, moved back, moved to Spain, back, London, back, next to Sydney (hopefully it works out this time). Everyone that badmouthed Liverpool either hasn't been or went in the 70s when there were issues. We know better and quite frankly I'd rather have the kind of people visit that are open minded and friendly.

I really like Liverpool been there a few times and actually off there for couple of days from tomorrow taking kids to museums etc, love the centre with little arty statues here and there, most of my colleagues have chosen it for special occasion weekend hen parties 40th birthdays etc and we are easily 90 min journey away so that speaks for itself as worthwhile place to go

It's funny, Liverpool's been on my list for a while, but I've never had a reason to go there. One day maybe.

:smile:It is Newjez,take a walk down by the waterfront,the Albert Dock,the new canal link in front of the three graces(Liver,Cunard,Port of Liverpool Building),also,the Crypt in the RC Cathedral,or a trip up the Tower in the Protestant cathedral

Great city for a night out "if" thats your thing,we dont bite,honest! were all well aware we had a bad rep for being bolshy,argumentative kinda thing,and its probably true going on other cities ive worked in,we do tend to wear our heart on our sleeve,like yer?we tell yer,we dont like yer?we will tell yer as well,very straight talking people in general.

A cpl of people on here have lived and worked here,Millie,3 fat cats(Naomi),and im glad they liked it here,for me,they are one of ours now(doesnt matter they werent born here)as long as you ignore past reputations,you should have a good day out up here,speaking personally,im very happy theres so many tourists come here now,especially Irish tbh,it got tiresome working away and listening to all the old stereotypical scouser comments tbh,so its good some of them have been dispelled in recent times.

[YOUTUBE]yuvgGDbO7qU[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.liverpoolwiki.org/Liverpool_Firsts

One of the places I loved - though not strictly in Liverpool itself.... (but what a lovely excuse to take a ferry across the Mersey) - was Port Sunlight....

I remember a Parian ware sculpture in the Lady Lever Art Gallery which was soooo beautiful - but I can't find it on any of the gallery's websites....

It was of a woman & either one child or two - can't remember....but if you looked at it from one side it was the picture of idyllic maternal beauty & serenity & as you walked around to the other side the woman looked stressed & disheveled....like a woman who'd looked after children all day... (!!)

All done with the most subtle changes, like the lightest stroke of a brush - but in marble....

I last saw it in the early '90s & have never forgotten it.....

Perhaps someone from the area will know the one I mean....

I think it was a permanent piece & not part of a 'visiting exhibition'...

Great place for a day out.... :yes:

One of the places I loved - though not strictly in Liverpool itself.... (but what a lovely excuse to take a ferry across the Mersey) - was Port Sunlight....

I remember a Parian ware sculpture in the Lady Lever Art Gallery which was soooo beautiful - but I can't find it on any of the gallery's websites....

It was of a woman & either one child or two - can't remember....but if you looked at it from one side it was the picture of idyllic maternal beauty & serenity & as you walked around to the other side the woman looked stressed & disheveled....like a woman who'd looked after children all day... (!!)

All done with the most subtle changes, like the lightest stroke of a brush - but in marble....

I last saw it in the early '90s & have never forgotten it.....

Perhaps someone from the area will know the one I mean....

I think it was a permanent piece & not part of a 'visiting exhibition'...

Great place for a day out.... :yes:

I'll have to have a look Galahad. I live very near Port Sunlight. I don't remember the statue but I haven't been to the Lady Lever for a while.

I'm from Crosby in Liverpool, only left there 4 months ago and now in Sydney. I slagged the place off a lot when I was home, but the more I think back, it's a great city with some great people (some not so great), but that is the same with any city in the world.

If you're not from Liverpool, there is a lot if great stuff to do (as already mentioned), and now I've left I've realised I took a lot of it for granted!

Definitely worth a weekend visit!

As a Manc, I can honestly say I... really love Liverpool (ha! gotcha, you thought I was going to say I wouldn't go there if you paid me). I went last year for the first time in ages and it's just a really great place. Most things are easy to get to in the centre, the new development looks fabulous and there's some lovely old architecture.

Can't comment on Liverpool NSW though, I've only been through it on the train. (Hi Phil, btw, whereabouts in Sydney are you?)

Edited by LittleLakeGirl

And Birkenhead - among others!

'Liverpool' is actually an old Aboriginal word meaning 'live by the river!'

For some reason, thinking about places with the same name reminds me of my first time going to London to see Spurs play and I (naive young country bumpkin) went to Tottenham Court Road.