.......do we need to worry about our children's education......?

Guest Guest16631

Guest Guest16631

Are Australian children becoming poor white trash?

by: By Daniel Piotrowski

news.com.au

March 26, 2013 11:52AM

Former Labor leader Mark Latham has said poor kids from English-speaking children are being left behind in a new essay. Picture: Channel Nine

POOR kids with English-speaking parents are being left behind at school as Asian students surge ahead, former Labor leader Mark Latham argues in a controversial new article.

That makes a decades-old slur by a foreign leader that Australians will be the "poor, white trash of Asia" even more relevant today, the ex-Labor leader writes in this month's Quarterly Essay.

Born and bred in Western Sydney, Mr Latham argues that all parents should "follow the Asian example", as their parenting style has powered their kids to the top of the class.

"Asian parents are highly devoted to the education of their children: assisting with homework, organising extra tuition, forever encouraging excellence,” he writes, adding that Asian parents particularly focus on study at home.

But while we often hear about migrant families struggling to make their way in Australia, Mr Latham says the problem is more significant in children from poor, English-speaking families.

"Sydney's selective school figures indicate a different trend in social mobility, with Asian parents using school-aged education as a springboard for the next generation,” he says. "Their sons and daughters are moving quickly into middle-class professional jobs.”

"The problem of immobility is greater among families from an English-speaking background, especially those on low income.

"Visit any suburban public-housing estate in Australia and this debilitating trend is obvious,” Mr Latham argues. "The former Singaporean leader Lee Kuan Yew's prophecy about poor white trash in Australia has found a new resonance.”

The debate over Asian-style parenting has exploded over the past few years, particularly with the release of a memoir about so-called "tiger parenting”.

Chinese American parent Amy Chua sparked fierce international debate when her book, The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, a partly self-deprecating look at her own parenting style, was released.

Education researcher Kevin Donnelly says children with Asian backgrounds tend to do better in Year 12 results and in selective school tests.

"There is this Confucian ethic in terms of education which is very much about respecting authority, a willingness to work hard and focus and concentrate," Dr Donnelly told news.com.au.

"A lot of it is cultural. That's not the whole story though". Teaching style, the quality of curriculum and the quality of teaching were all essential to a child's success, he said.

Jane Caro, author of What Makes A Good School, says the issue with modern parenting is that many parents have a problem with teachers imposing discipline. "The workforce is walking away from those kids in droves," she said.

In his essay, Mr Latham argues that public education is "selling short our nation's potential". Public schools are a "production line for internationally substandard results".

He says principals should be allowed to reward parents who help kids out with class reading programs by waiving excursion fees.

Education has always been a special interest for the one-time Labor leader, who has described public education as one of the issues he cares most about, while most politicians have children in private schools.

One of the reasons cited for Mr Latham's failure at the 2004 election was the fierce public backlash against his plan to slash funding for private schools and boost funding for public schools.

A private school 'hit list' of 67 major institutions was released, fuelling worry among parents about potential fee hikes.

In his essay, Mr Latham also mocks his own party's so-called ‘Education Revolution', which included expanding access to laptop computers and the construction of new school halls, as "more like a Sunday church picnic than a storming of the barricades".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/are-aussie-kids-becoming-poor-white-trash/story-fnet08ui-1226606663083#ixzz2OhPIFaNv

Well if you don't mind your child having no time to do the fun things children do go the asian route. These children are tutored or have music lessons everyday of the week. No time for the frivolities of childhood. The pressure they are under to be the best and only the best will do is unbelievable.

it is a tough one, most of the kids in my family in england will go to school and do quaran classes after school from age 5-12, plus tuition n other activities. Now I have a child and I will want him to do in school I am looking to move to an area with good schools and I thought to myself where you have asian populations you will have good schools due to the emphasis that is put on education. Will that make me a bad mother for pushing my child in education or am I just trying to give him the best start in life?

I'm glad he's raised it, and it's worthy of debate, but at the risk of indulging in stereotypes I'm not sure going down the "Asian" route is that great a thing

Some of these kids aren't just tutored, they're drilled. There's a lad in my son's class who is pushed so hard to excel at academic work he's scared to be a child....I've seen him with some of the others in the class and the moment they're remotely silly he's berating them, but berating them in an anxious way, almost like he's looking over his shoulder all the time. Just screams of a child who gets a hard time at home the moment he lifts his head from a book. I feel sorry for him tbh

In our council area one of the schools has like a special extension/gifted & talented unit from yr 3 onwards, they take in the brightest kids from the other schools in the area. The school's a great school, we visited it and looked closely at moving into catchment, but have heard from two sets of parents now who have ended up taking their kids out of the unit, because most of the children in it are pushed really hard and spend their breaktimes doing puzzles or playing chess, whereas our friends' sons wanted to play football and run about. Trouble is, they felt isolated from the rest of the school by the "special" status of the unit, but also isolated from their classmates because they didn't want to be nerds

It's one of the reasons we plan to go private for our son from Yr3. He's a very academic kid and needs stretching, but we absolutely don't want him to do that at the exclusion of everything else - quite the reverse. The private school we intend to send him to is unashamedly academic, but is very big on providing a rounded education and particularly expects participation in stuff like sports and music. We want him to work hard and learn in class, but do other stuff outside class, not keep trying to cram more academic stuff into his head

OTOH, Latham makes some very valid points about public schooling often straying down the "lowest common denominator" route and not wanting to reward excellence. Coincidentally it was parent-teacher evening yesterday and from the conversation it was clear that the "bronze awards" they give out aren't necessarily for excellence in any field - they make sure they spread them around. I can see the point in terms of not wanting to demotivate some kids but there are other ways of doing it than just fudging it and devaluing the whole point.

I think I share Harpo's qualms about the amount of organised after school activities kids do these days. All feels a bit regimented to me, but we are still guilty of doing it ourselves, particularly for us as our son was an only child until very recently and as far as play is concerned still will be for a while!

Edited by northshorepom

When youv'e known real poverty, as some of these childrens' families have, then you realise the value of education and tend to get over anxious perhaps. I think what Latham says is quite true and it has been happening for some time now. Depends what you value in life. After World War 2 there was a generation who also subscribed to this view in the UK. We really worked damned hard to get good exam results and we had a lot of pressure on us. This seems to not be the case so much amongst white Australian kids these days. Of course many still work hard but I don't think the pressure to work is nearly what it used to be for us.

Guest Guest16631

........young children have got to want to learn.............I don't believe in young children cramming.......

..........that should be reserved for achieving your career goal........

...........uni students ............other professions..........once decided.....

...........a child need to be well rounded......

............school is also a social learning environment......

............play teaches rules and sharing..........

..............with encouragement and good parenting and teaching.........

..............A child will fulfil its capabilities............and enjoy doing so.....

.............childhood is gone so quickly.............and balance is important......IMO.....

Guest chris955

Asian kids have always performed better than non Asians, they just seem to have a better work ethic and are prepared to put in the work to get ahead.

Guest Guest 47403
Asian kids have always performed better than non Asians, they just seem to have a better work ethic and are prepared to put in the work to get ahead.

Better work ethic than who?.................Everyone? Do the Asian kids in you kids schools out perform your kids just because they are Asian.

What a sweeping generalisation.

Surely it's about balance? It is important to work hard, of course. But it is equally important to have some down time.

The problem is a majority of state schools have swung to the opposite extreme to the tiger mums.

You now have a problem on one hand when kids just to drawing or should I say colouring in. On the other side I agree some Tiger mums are wearing their kids out.

Its also very important to realise the future is all about the value of the mind. If your children are going to have a chance for a better life they need to be doing more than what was done 30 or 40 years ago.

By developing a thirst for knowledge and learning skills at early age makes the rest of school/University easier.

Its easy for some parents to give up on life. Just dont do it in regard your children.

Guest Guest 47403
We agree again.

Still not got an answer then.............no change there then, say something then unprepared to back it up, same old Chris :laugh:

Guest chris955
My grandson goes to a school where there are many Asians - it is one of the highest ranked state schools in Victoria ( Glen Waverley SC) They do work very hard and don't muck around as much as the Aussie kids- and they do get much higher results, too.

Yes exactly what I was saying, they are prepared to put in the hard yards. I wonder if you will get criticised for your sweeping generalisation ? ;)

Let me give you one example of the asian attitude to education. A boy sat the selective school exam. He obtained a place in the selective school system but it was not in the school that usually tops the HSC, in which his elder brother had gained a place. This child didn't want to go home because he would be looked on as being a failure by his parents. I felt so sorry for this child, who had done so well, but would get no congratulations from his family.

Let me give you one example of the asian attitude to education. A boy sat the selective school exam. He obtained a place in the selective school system but it was not in the school that usually tops the HSC, in which his elder brother had gained a place. This child didn't want to go home because he would be looked on as being a failure by his parents. I felt so sorry for this child, who had done so well, but would get no congratulations from his family.

Let me give you example of a lazy white trash family so ignorant there daughter still cant read and write in Year 3 despite attending the local state school.

I'd rather my child was happy and enjoying school than hot-housing them with extra tuition etc. And after school, their down time is important too: whether its extra tuition or after school sports, kids need time to chillax

Agree with you Dom, kids need time to be kids

Let me give you example of a lazy white trash family so ignorant there daughter still cant read and write in Year 3 despite attending the local state school.

This is not completely the fault of the parents. Encouragement from home is always good but in the end it is the teacher's job to ensure that children make progress in the 3Rs. If there are learning difficulties the appropriate remediation should be available. The teacher is the person whose task it is to ensure children are literate. I accepted that responsibility over many, many years and can honestly say that not one child left my care unable to read and write.

Edited by Ellie 2