welsh in oz

Weddings.....

Wow I've not posted on here for years after the initial landing and moving it all got too busy...! But I'm back.... we're getting married soon and while we'd both like to marry in the UK (my other half is oz im a pom) its not looking feasible, we were thinking thailabd as its half way but I'm not massively keen i dont think. I was wondering if anyone has experiences they'd like to share, or tips/ideas? Thanks.... From the long lost welsh in oz :-)

Hiya congratulations I cant really help with your destination dilemma but we got married a year ago and got a photo booth some of the best pictures we got.

were from it

Good luck

Hi there!

My OH and I were looking at Thailand too (he's pom, I'm Aussie) but then decided to do it over here (UK) before we migrate.

Just be aware that you need to be in Bangkok for 5 days (I think) to register "residency" prior to the wedding.

A few of my mates have gotten married in Bali (nowhere naff like Kuta, though!) as there was less bureaucracy from what I could gather.

Best of luck for the wedding planning! We're just getting started now, with the date set for Sep!

OH's Visa 309/100:
@ Aus House 19/10/12. KP Assigned. 8-9months.

Police and Meds
- sent to Aus House 02/03/13

309 VISA GRANTED: 02/05/13
:biggrin:

It's the people who make the wedding. Is there any particular reason you want Thailand other than geographical position? Doesn't sound like you're keen on it. Why not get married where there are the most people who mean something to you to help you enjoy the day (unless you hate your family; it's a reason a friend is getting married in Fiji so most of them can't come).

My wedding venue burned down 6 weeks before the day. I was getting really upset until someone said "as long as your husband turns up what does it matter." Put things in perspective.

We went to the registry office in Adelaide, luckily both sets of parents were able to attend. The ceremony was video'd and then shown at our two receptions, one in Australia, one in UK (both of which had also cake, speeches, dancing etc). This way none of our close friends or family missed out, I got to wear the dress twice, and was actually able to spend time talkingchatting with people at the receptions (approx 50 guests at each one). It also meant that the day of the wedding I wasn't stressed about everything coming together at the reception.

We had a bar tab at each location rather than a drinks package (actually worked out cheaper since our friends aren't heavy drinkers, and meant we got to choose the nicer wines etc). Food in OZ was platters of finger food, and we had a buffet at the UK reception. Meant people could move around and mingle, chat etc, and worked out far cheaper than a full sit down meal.

Well ideally we want everyone in one place hence the mid way choice, as its not fair to expect his family to come to the uk and vice versa, plus organising a wedding in the uk from here seems far too difficult!

We thought to do the ceremony in Thailand and the legal bit in aus afterwards with a reception for those not able to come to Thailand. But then I thought why bother with Thailand if we're doing that, then I think but what about my family in the uk its much more expensive to come to aus than thailand.... argh it's so bloody confusing!!

If you are not bothered about the big church wedding why don't you just go and get married somewhere in Australia quietly, then have a party here for one family and the two of you go and have a party in UK with your family. You can still make it like a wedding reception just not with the ceremony to start with.

We got married on the beach in Mauritius which was cheap and beautiful. The holiday company sorted it all out for us and we had a marvellous time!

If you are looking for help applying to a job, writing a CV, cover letter or answering selection criteria, contact the experts at www.fremantlehr.com.au.

Based in Perth and helping clients worldwide to get the job they want in the company they want.

I went to an Aus (groom) / English(bride) wedding in Koh Samui, Thailand last year and it was brilliant... Best wedding I have ever been to except my own!!