My furry friend leaves for melbourne tomorrow

dinkydoo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you do go and see ozzy I hope it goes well and not to difficult for you, missing my guys like crazy!

Yep not long till we fly 17th April, unfortunately it is all a mess at the moment as my oh came down with a bout of food poisoning on Sunday which is hitting him hard so just hoping he can recover before we fly, as dont quite know what do to otherwise!

Had to leave him being looked after by his parents as we had moved out of our rental Sunday so not ideal he's in Dorset and me in Devon.

you have hit the ground running, good to get those bits out the way.

Finlay arrived in Melbourne safe and sound - feel so guilty thinking of him stuck in a kennel there! We've got a dogwalker to go and visit Fin as we're in Adelaide and don't have time or emotional strength to visit him and leave him again. They visited him on Friday and had him out in the paddock which was nice, had a couple of photos from them too - just desperate to hear the next update and counting down what seems like forever til we can pick him up.

Did you manage to go and see Ozzy? Really wish I could be close by!!

.......Off to the vet later this morning for the final check-up & then to Heathrow tomorrow to deliver my three......

They fly at 9.25pm.......into Sydney......

I have sold a couple of large items of furniture on eBay & asked the winning bidders not to pick up until Wednesday.....I don't want any other 'changes' until they've gone.....

I hope the buyers understand - tough if they don't..... !

Finlay arrived in Melbourne safe and sound - feel so guilty thinking of him stuck in a kennel there! We've got a dogwalker to go and visit Fin as we're in Adelaide and don't have time or emotional strength to visit him and leave him again. They visited him on Friday and had him out in the paddock which was nice, had a couple of photos from them too - just desperate to hear the next update and counting down what seems like forever til we can pick him up.

Did you manage to go and see Ozzy? Really wish I could be close by!!

Yes, we went on Friday to see Ozzy and to be honest it broke my heart to see him there! He was cowering in his box and wasn't that bothered that we were there! Not the reunion I was expecting! My husband has now started work and my car isn't coming until next week so I'm going to take a cab and 2 trains to go and see him again tomorrow, although it will upset me we think it will help in the long run for him to get some tlc as he's not happy at all! I just hope he will forgive me after its all over and done with, I knew he would find it tough because of his personality but I'm now feeling very guilty about putting him through it. There were other cats there that were just lazing in the sun but he was hiding under a blanket in his box obviously terrified. Counting the days until we can collect him on the 26th! No doubt then he will make me pay for weeks!!!

.......Off to the vet later this morning for the final check-up & then to Heathrow tomorrow to deliver my three......

They fly at 9.25pm.......into Sydney......

I have sold a couple of large items of furniture on eBay & asked the winning bidders not to pick up until Wednesday.....I don't want any other 'changes' until they've gone.....

I hope the buyers understand - tough if they don't..... !

hope they travel ok and don't find it too traumatic like my boy!

Well, the day is finally here..... 'Furry-Flight Day'......

Am sitting up in bed with them all draped around me - Purdy (as usual) sitting on Abby's head.....

Have a friend driving up to Heathrow with me......shall need the company on the way back !

Not toooooooo worried about the dogs - they will have a shared pen the other end - am certainly more concerned about Purdy, being without her beloved Abby for thirty days.......

It's also her birthday today - she's 13.......Happy Birthday Purdy......!

Ah well - can't put off the moment any longer - must get up & admit this long day has actually started.....

I've just read an update from DAFF in another thread saying that there's no guarantee that the shorter quarantine time of 10 days will be implemented any time soon - like for the whole of 2013 - so for those of us taking animals to (or back to, in my case) Australia, it's just a case of somehow getting through it.....

Dinky - I'm so sorry to hear that Ozzy is doing it tough at the moment.....my thoughts are with you.....

Yes - you'll probably have a lot of 'making up to do' as will I - cats do 'you're goin' to be so guilty' SO well !

Hi Everyone !!

I've been following this thread as our Furry friend starts his adventure in the next 10 weeks. I mainly browse PIA as we are moving to Adelaide but Jerry has to go to Melbourne, and im so worried that we cant visit. He is a standard poodle and really is one of the family. He is incredibly close to us and im sure he will feel abandoned !! He doesnt travel very well either,so dreading taking him to Golden Arrow in Shropshire, he'll be sick all the way.......it would be easier for me to pay for a seat on the plane - altho I doubt other passengers would want their food eaten & faces licked lol !!!

Please keep posting your experiences as its so helpfull and does put my mind at rest...........well a bit !

Thanks Emma x

Yes, we went on Friday to see Ozzy and to be honest it broke my heart to see him there! He was cowering in his box and wasn't that bothered that we were there! Not the reunion I was expecting! My husband has now started work and my car isn't coming until next week so I'm going to take a cab and 2 trains to go and see him again tomorrow, although it will upset me we think it will help in the long run for him to get some tlc as he's not happy at all! I just hope he will forgive me after its all over and done with, I knew he would find it tough because of his personality but I'm now feeling very guilty about putting him through it. There were other cats there that were just lazing in the sun but he was hiding under a blanket in his box obviously terrified. Counting the days until we can collect him on the 26th! No doubt then he will make me pay for weeks!!!

Hope Ozzy is feeling better, here's a hug for you both :hug:

Well I went to see my boy on Tuesday and when I called him he came out of his box to greet me, which was better than last time. I spent an hour just sitting in the pen with him and stroking him, he was more responsive and wanted to sniff my hands and lick them so I think he was happier to see me than the first time. After a while he was scared with all the noises so went back in his box.

i think I'm going to go again on Friday even though its a long old day just to spend a hour with him, I could of stayed for 2 but he was falling asleep. Just 8 more days until we can collect him then the fun begins!! He will sulk for weeks I imagine, even though we have bought a new scratch post that looks like a castle!!

Aww I know just what your going through. We brought our 2 dogs over to melbourne last June. Our Siberian never missed us for a second, looked at the whole thing as one big adventure, our old english sheepdog took the move quite badly. As we entered the kennel in spotswood he seen his carer open the door and he just stood there and wet on the floor :sad: it broke our hearts to see what WE had done to him. But as soon as he seen us he went mental, jumping all over us. We visited at every opportunity as I dont think he would have got through it if we didn't and with each visit he slowly got back to himself. As we got them home they settled back like they had never even been away from us. Its been almost a year now, and life has never been better, they have loved the summer months and are now enjoying the cooler walks too. So hang in there, they do get over the ordeal, even if they make us pay for it for a while!! having them here with us now has more than made up for all the worry and heartache and it will be for you all too, I promise :yes:

Aww I know just what your going through. We brought our 2 dogs over to melbourne last June. Our Siberian never missed us for a second, looked at the whole thing as one big adventure, our old english sheepdog took the move quite badly. As we entered the kennel in spotswood he seen his carer open the door and he just stood there and wet on the floor :sad: it broke our hearts to see what WE had done to him. But as soon as he seen us he went mental, jumping all over us. We visited at every opportunity as I dont think he would have got through it if we didn't and with each visit he slowly got back to himself. As we got them home they settled back like they had never even been away from us. Its been almost a year now, and life has never been better, they have loved the summer months and are now enjoying the cooler walks too. So hang in there, they do get over the ordeal, even if they make us pay for it for a while!! having them here with us now has more than made up for all the worry and heartache and it will be for you all too, I promise :yes:

​Thank you

Count down is on, you must only have another couple of days now before you collect Ozzy, I cant wait to go and get our 3, on Saturday I feel like I am missing a bit part of myself and it doesn't feel like home with them not being here :eek:

At least Ozzy doesn't have to do another flight, hoping mine will forgive us that when we collect them, still haven't got any carry cases or things for them keep seeing things but cant decide what to get them!

Oh that's gone so quickly! You must be so excited! I can't wait for that feeling! 18 sleeps til I get to pick up my boy...! Have had more photos of him today and he looks like he's pretty relaxed...chasing a tennis ball which is definitely one of his favourite things! Hope all goes well with collecting Ozzy, I'm sure he'll settle into your new home in no time!

We went to collect Ozzy this morning at 8am, he cried all the way home in his crate and as soon as he got in the cottage he had a quick smell around and went to hide under the bed, he hasn't moved since!:( Thinks its going to take some time!! Poor little chap!

We went to collect Ozzy this morning at 8am, he cried all the way home in his crate and as soon as he got in the cottage he had a quick smell around and went to hide under the bed, he hasn't moved since!:( Thinks its going to take some time!! Poor little chap!

Bless Him:hug: Hope he is back to his normal self soon

Collected my 3 this afternoon, should have thought about 1 double crate and 1 single crate size and sedan car:err: but hey ho! Not to far back to the rental and then could let them out, they are still roaming around discovering their new home, they have eaten, drunk loads and I even got a few purrs so looks like they just need abit of time to totally settle down. Think they are decided who should sleep were! Probably my Oh and I on the sofa and they have the bed knowing my 3!!!:cute:

Glad they are all home safe and sound now, Ozzy has been a bit better today after a night of jumping around on the bed and meowing very loudly at us! He's quite comfy on the sofa next to me but every time I move he follows!! I'm sure he's going to be fine with lots of cuddles. He will just about get used to the house we are in and then we will be moving into our long term rental in a month or so!!

At least he's got a bit more room than in quarantine !!

How has Ozzy settled now after a week at home with you? I'm about ready to murder mine as they are making me feel guilty that they cant go outside and I can:rolleyes: noses against the screen doors everytime I go out! One was climbing the bloody door when I put the laundry out this morning.

They seem to have settled reasonably well back into a routine of sleeping all night and running around in the day but everytime a dog barks they freak out which is very odd for them all, wondering if the dogs barking in quarantine upset them? Not sure how close they are all housed in spotswood.

Mind you took some getting used to the prices of cat food and the limited amount of things they have for them. You definitely know there is favour towards dogs. One big plus they do cat milk in litre bottles!