My furry friend leaves for melbourne tomorrow

dinkydoo

Well the time has finally come and my furry friend Ozzy the cat is leaving for Melbourne tomorrow :(

i know he will be fine but I'm still worried about how he will cope with the flight and being away from us for 30 days.

There will be tears I think when they collect him!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My furry 3 fly Tuesday but I am dropping them off tomorrow, I'm sure they will be fine, wondering how my oh will cope though!

you can't help but worry about them though especially seeing as how much fuss they put up going to the vets, but better 30 days of worrying about them than not having them with you

The guy from pet air picked him up and was lovely considering I answered the door crying already!!! The bin lorry had just passed the house so Ozzy was already hiding upstairs so after a few seconds I located him and he clung to the carpet for dear life! He had been in a very odd mood all morning as if he knew something was happening, gave him a quick cuddle and then tried to put him in his crate, he clung on to my shoulder, it was heart breaking!! I just felt so cruel and mean because he doesn't know what's going on.

the guy from pet air rang me a little while later to say they had arrived at the cattery and Ozzy was settled. I then got a phone call from the lady who had stayed with him until he he been checked in. I can't fault the service at pet air at all, they have been brilliant from the start, I just wish I didn't feel so sad and mean. I know after the flight he will be collected and taken to quarantine where he will be looked after, just hope he will forgive me because boy this cat can bear a grudge!!!

We don't arrive in Melbourne for 2 weeks so I will be counting the days until I can go and visit and take him his blanket and give him a cuddle.

many of my friends think I've wasted my money by taking him with us but I couldn't of found him a new home or just give him to a cat protection place so I suppose for a few lonely weeks on both parts it will be worth it in the end when I see he basking in the sunshine, which he loves so much.

THANK YOU PET AIR ON BEHALF OF MYSELF THE HUBBY AND OZZY THE CAT XXX

Glad Ozzy got away safe and sound, I have to say I was quite lucky with my 3 who surprisingly were as good as gold yesterday, no crying in the car when I droppped them off which is highly odd and no misbehaving when they got checked and put in the crates to go to the cattery at Petair. Whether they sensed something who knows:unsure:

Got my OH to phone up and check they had settled in fine, TBH more to settle him than anything :cute: going to be a wierd few weeks without them, but I would rather they are settled than them have to put up with us arguing over stupid things, furniture moving and bag packing! as that would be more stressful for them.

I agree with the previous post its not a waste of money if it means alot to you and your pets are healthy enough to travel, no one wants to put their pet though it ideally, but you also just dont want to get rid of your pet. I have had alot of people asking why we are bothering to take them as well and saying just get rid and get new ones, but it doesnt work like that when it comes to pets, but others have turned round and said well done and how they wouldnt be able to rehome them either, always two sides to the arguements.

There is always going to be some circumstances when people are unable to take their pets with them, but we all try for the best for our pets either way, we are luckily enough that we can take ours with us.

From 22.30 this evening I shall be checking to see how far my 3 have flown and looking forward to being able to give them a cuddle again, it wont be to long before I get to see my little sun worshippers again!

Thinking of them and you, they will be fine, we rang quarantine every other day, which was nice ... And got updates, but it still didn't stop us pining and saying 'just think on the 15th she'll be here, back on our bed',

image.jpgSeen here leaving for her flight to ooz and

on our bed, lol.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh L-S - what a cutie ! Wishing her all the best on her journey*...... :hug:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.....like I have a choice !

Wake me when it's 'walkies'....jpg

* Just realised L-S, your photo of your little furry-person in your car would have been taken a while ago........DOH !

Wake me when it's 'walkies'....jpg

Edited by Galahad
Senior moment....

Thank you all for your posts, you have helped cheer me up. Ozzy is due to land in a few hours and I think I may set the alarm to phone up quarantine and check on him!

Its been a busy day here as the packers are due tomorrow then we are going to have a week with my parents before we fly. I will be going to see Ozzy as soon as possible after we land. Can't wait.

Oh L-S - what a cutie ! Wishing her all the best on her journey*...... :hug:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.....like I have a choice !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18749[/ATTACH]

* Just realised L-S, your photo of your little furry-person in your car would have been taken a while ago........DOH !

Yes last April, she made it, all safe and sound, when she arrived here to us, I had her checked out with the vet, just to do a once over, but she was all good.

she has settled in really well as the many photos show, we love her to bits x x don't know if I've already said but she has her own DVD collection, 101 Dalmatians, one of her favourites, Haichi, Frankenweenie and Tin tin, she is funny she sits and watches, then when the dogs appear on screen she runs up to the TV with her tail wagging and starts yapping at them :cute:

My post above

Edited by Love Shoes
Post went awry mine is the bit re the films

My furry 3 fly Tuesday but I am dropping them off tomorrow, I'm sure they will be fine, wondering how my oh will cope though!

you can't help but worry about them though especially seeing as how much fuss they put up going to the vets, but better 30 days of worrying about them than not having them with you

Did they arrive safely? Have you rang up to ask? Are they in spotswood too? When do you fly out?

sorry for all the questions!!

The flight landed last night as I was tracking it online and I'm sure they are safe and sound, but with the time difference and needing to leave five hours before calling quaratine we couldn't ring, and then of course when it comes to the right time to call I tried and then realised we are on a bank holiday and then a weekend when it seems they dont answer the phone:confused:so I shall be on the phone as soon as I can on monday night, just to double check.

They are in spotwood so same as your Ozzy but ours are then flown across to Adelaide after their 30 days, so wonder how much grovelling we will have to do when we get them back, missing my cuddles! Where are you planning on basing yourselves.

We dont fly out until the 17th, got the movers coming in on Tuesday so all systems go, I'm starting to wonder were all of the stuff keeps coming from as we sort it out, it seems never ending and you definately start to wonder about the things you keep!:goofy:

The flight landed last night as I was tracking it online and I'm sure they are safe and sound, but with the time difference and needing to leave five hours before calling quaratine we couldn't ring, and then of course when it comes to the right time to call I tried and then realised we are on a bank holiday and then a weekend when it seems they dont answer the phone:confused:so I shall be on the phone as soon as I can on monday night, just to double check.

They are in spotwood so same as your Ozzy but ours are then flown across to Adelaide after their 30 days, so wonder how much grovelling we will have to do when we get them back, missing my cuddles! Where are you planning on basing yourselves.

We dont fly out until the 17th, got the movers coming in on Tuesday so all systems go, I'm starting to wonder were all of the stuff keeps coming from as we sort it out, it seems never ending and you definately start to wonder about the things you keep!:goofy:

Yes, I set the alarm the first night and got up at 2.45am to ring but they didn't have a lot to say really, I will ring again on Tuesday evening UK time.

So you won't be able to go visit them in spotswood? I'm planning on going to see Ozzy a few days after we arrive but not sure if this will just confuse him more but the lady at the shippers said that it would put our minds at ease and Ozzy would get extra cuddles! He will be very cross with me when we do finally pick him up, he doesn't like me for a week after we've had a week's holiday and this is when he's been able to stay in his own home! I'm wondering now whether I should have maybe put him in a cattery for a few days when we were on holiday so this wouldn't have been such a shock to his system! Hindsight is a wonderful thing!! Not!!

I wonder whether they would let me check on your 3 when I go as you can't get there??

Our packers came last Wednesday and we moved out and are having a week in North Wales with my parents before we fly out on Sunday. We too had a huge clear out of "stuff" before they came, my friends did quite well out of us!! As did the charity shops!!

Good luck with the packers

sharon

Dinkydoo, hope Ozzy is OK. Our pets are such a worry. I read your post about him being in a funny mood and clinging on and I am convinced that they know when something is going on. When we are getting ready to go away, the Hooligans go very quiet and seem to be sitting and sulking.

I had not thought about tracking the flight that they are on - oh dear OH will love me, but at least I will know where they are.

Pet Air have been brilliant with us so far, so I am sure that Ozzy was well cared for. Hoping that the quarantine people can put your mind at rest to say that he has settled in.

Keep us posted xx

We tracked our little girls flight most of the way my oh kept saying 'she should be in Hong Kong now, bless her' , 'she is over water now', it all felt a bit surreal, we thought she was ever so brave travelling all that way on her own :cute: when we went to meet her t the local airport we watched her plane land and were really exited .... they got her off really quickly and carefully and she was reunited with us as soon as all the passengers had cleared the lounge ... she wasn't quite as excited as us, but he had been away from me since march and got to see me again in may ... Oh hadn't seen her since the end of January which was sad .... it took her a little while to settle in, but she soon got the hang of things again ... I can't help thinking though that losing her friend (our other dog who died erly February) played a huge part in upsetting her .....:cry:

Dinkydoo, hope Ozzy is OK. Our pets are such a worry. I read your post about him being in a funny mood and clinging on and I am convinced that they know when something is going on. When we are getting ready to go away, the Hooligans go very quiet and seem to be sitting and sulking.

I had not thought about tracking the flight that they are on - oh dear OH will love me, but at least I will know where they are.

Pet Air have been brilliant with us so far, so I am sure that Ozzy was well cared for. Hoping that the quarantine people can put your mind at rest to say that he has settled in.

Keep us posted xx

I am going to ring again tomorrow evening UK time, hope they can tell me a bit more this time. Missing the little bugger and I'm feeling quite guilty about it all!! I hope he will be fine when we all settle down in a few months!

I rang last night to check how they were getting on, as soon as I said I wanted to check on my cats Jinx, Millie and Coca she straight away said oh I know your cats, which made me think what are the monkeys up to!!:yes: Especially Jinx she is far to intelligent for her own good and very quickly learns some interesting skills, in our last house she used to stand on the letterbox half way up the door and hang on the door window pane until you let her in, its is so comical you always did and she got what she wanted!

She just clarified that they were eating, and using the facilities well and had settled, I was very happy to hear that they are in pens next to each other and that they can see one another as I thought the old boy might think he had been abandoned again but happy in the knowledge the girls will be driving him bonkers!

I will ring again probably end of the week or early next week to see how they are. We had thought about visiting but decided it would be best not to as wasnt sure it would be fair on them or us (not sure my OH would cope leaving them), especially seeing as Coca hasnt be away for more than a night at the vet and never been in a cattery before that I know of, like you I wish I had put him in for a few day to get used to it.

When you visit Ozzy if you happen to see two mental black and whites next to a handsome tabby, give them a tickle for me.

Movers in as we speak, after 4 days mental days of stress getting everything sorted its a huge relief.

I rang last night to check how they were getting on, as soon as I said I wanted to check on my cats Jinx, Millie and Coca she straight away said oh I know your cats, which made me think what are the monkeys up to!!:yes: Especially Jinx she is far to intelligent for her own good and very quickly learns some interesting skills, in our last house she used to stand on the letterbox half way up the door and hang on the door window pane until you let her in, its is so comical you always did and she got what she wanted!

She just clarified that they were eating, and using the facilities well and had settled, I was very happy to hear that they are in pens next to each other and that they can see one another as I thought the old boy might think he had been abandoned again but happy in the knowledge the girls will be driving him bonkers!

I will ring again probably end of the week or early next week to see how they are. We had thought about visiting but decided it would be best not to as wasnt sure it would be fair on them or us (not sure my OH would cope leaving them), especially seeing as Coca hasnt be away for more than a night at the vet and never been in a cattery before that I know of, like you I wish I had put him in for a few day to get used to it.

When you visit Ozzy if you happen to see two mental black and whites next to a handsome tabby, give them a tickle for me.

Movers in as we speak, after 4 days mental days of stress getting everything sorted its a huge relief.

Will definately keep and eye out for them if we visit Ozzy! Was going to ring tonight but was told to ring after 11am Aussie time and that's in the middle of the night here so maybe I'll try early morning here so its afternoon here?

Good luck with the packers, waiting to here when ours will be on its way, the bank holiday weekend hasn't helped, was packed up last Wednesday and its not a full container so we need to wait till its full before it leaves.

our last week seems to be going very fast!! Only a few more days with my parents!!:(

Had a lovely email today from spotswood responding to my email with an update about the cats, I think coca especially might be being abit of a tart as they mentioned how loving he was!

Now have no furniture and sorting out the loose ends in our rental.

Have a good flight

Had a lovely email today from spotswood responding to my email with an update about the cats, I think coca especially might be being abit of a tart as they mentioned how loving he was!

Now have no furniture and sorting out the loose ends in our rental.

Have a good flight

Have just got up early to ring spotswood to see how Ozzy is before we fly on Sunday, last chance as they won't be answering calls over the weekend, I'm glad I did because I got to speak to his carer. But boy do I feel guilty now! He's not spending much time out of his sleep box, she said he's not scared but he doesn't come out unless she goes and puts her hand in and says hello! He is generally a nervous cat but he can also be quite mischievous, now I think the experience will have scared him for life!!

I hope I've done the right thing in bringing him and that he"ll "bounce" back when he's with us??

feeling very sad and slighty selfish right now!:unsure:

the next 3 weeks can't go fast enough, just hope we can sort a car out next week and visit him, but not sure if that will do more harm than good? He might feel like we have walked out on him again when we have to leave!!

It's reassuring to hear everyone's stories. We moved to Adelaide just over 4 weeks ago and left our dog, a 3yr old black lab called Finlay, with the in-laws until his flight date. He was picked up by PetAir yesterday which all went well - hope he got there safe! He flies from LHR tonight (Tues 10:30pm UK time) and we're both so worried about his journey. Can't wait to hear he's arrived in quarantine ok and that he's ok. Hate to think what he will think of the whole thing, so so glad we've used PetAir though, they've been fab the whole way. Fingers crossed time flies til Thursday morning...more worried than I was for any of the other parts of the relocation!

Emma

Had a couple of email updates from quarantine, they have been really good with letting me know how my 3 have been getting on and letting me know about any concerns.

it would appear one is oblivious and happy playing with the toys she has been given, other one is happy enjoying all the cuddles he can get and the other one still being a little shy, little do they know if she snaps out of it she will misbehave!!

I hope Finlay has a good flight.

And I hope dinkydoo have settled in after their flight