You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

imo2oz

Rough Areas in Melbourne?

Hi, I wondered if anyone living in Melbourne good give me some pointers regarding which areas of Melbourne to avoid?! I am researching short term accomodation, and longer term rentals too, and feel like my head is buzzing. I thought it would help to know where the rougher areas are. We have sons in their early teens, so even in the short term accomodation I imagine they will want to take them selves off to explore a bit, and I don't want to end up renting somewhere this would be ill advised to do!

I think my OH will be working at Campbellfield.

Thank you for any info.

Not sure that any area is completely without roughies, they tend to be rich and poor. In any event if your sons are going out exploring no doubt they will not just stay around where you are living. Areas I would probably not live in and there are only parts of the areas as some of the areas in these suburbs can be fine. Broadmeadows, Roxburgh Park, Sunshine. We have lots of graffiti here so areas you may think are rough can actually be fine, its just that we do not seem to have enough penalties for graffiti, slap on the wrist does not seem to stop it. The suburbs I have mentioned are all areas that you may look at if living and working in Campbellfield. I would look up Campbellfield on Wiki and then check out the suburbs around there. You can look at the stiki threads here for a link to suburb site which tells you all about suburbs. I personally do not like to slate a suburb because its easy to do so and sometimes its only on a small part of the suburb. We do not have council housing estates in Aus, our public housing is now spot bought property. In fact you could buy a nicer apartment in a lovely block and find out that the Housing Commission actually owns a few in the block. Also you may build a new house on a new estate and find that the housing commission has also bought a block or two in your street and will build public housing. So there is no real avoidance of chavs types if that is what you are worried about.

We have ancient housing blocks but they would not be available to you anyway so you would not be looking at them.

Edited by Petals

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

If you were asking about Sydney, I would know exactly the areas to put you off, BUT, I know nice people who live in many of those areas, and even in the nicest areas, there are nasty spots. Not 500 metres from my home, there's a huge public housing block, which I'm told is known colloquially as 'The Ice Tower,' yet within 'spitting distance' you could be paying over a million dollars to buy a house.

Why not rent short term accomodation close to the city for when you arrive then spend a few weeks looking around for something more permanent?

Just as a matter of interest, if you were contemplating a move to Bristol, how would know which are the rougher areas?

Petals I think the lack of council housing estates like you state is one of the great advantages Victoria has over the UK. Yes as you say you could end up living next to some rough sorts, but more importantly I think, if there is a child born to a rough sort, its not all over, there is a chance they will make good friends and avoid the cycle of poverty which seems to blot UK housing estates.

It depends on your expectations. There are not the same sink holes here that you get in the UK and in general nowhere feels that rough, although some areas have a lot more crime than others.

I'm sure someone else's opinion will be different, but mine is that that the best and safest place to live is along the bay (Brighton, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock, Mentone, Beaumaris). Bentleigh, Malvern, Caulfield are also good. Closer to town, South Yarra, Middle Park and Toorak are nice (but very expensive). A lot of families are moving westwards to places like Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes. They're also fine but the transport links and infrastructure are still developing. Place like Mooney Ponds, Ascot Vale and Kew are also fine.

Places I would avoid are Frankston, Dandenong, Sunshine, Flemington, Collingwood, Altona, Footscray, Werribee plus any new developments a billion miles out of town such as Officer etc.

The best advice really is to benchmark the cost of a house in a "good" area and compare other areas to it. If the houses are bigger and cheaper than you're expecting it's a good indication that all's not well.

Edited by Petkula73

Petals I think the lack of council housing estates like you state is one of the great advantages Victoria has over the UK. Yes as you say you could end up living next to some rough sorts, but more importantly I think, if there is a child born to a rough sort, its not all over, there is a chance they will make good friends and avoid the cycle of poverty which seems to blot UK housing estates.

I totally agree with you and its the best way for the children of parents on welfare to mix with others who have the good fortune to be better off. However sometimes parents can be very cruel and refuse to let children play with others they deem unsuitable. Anyway our housing system is taking small steps to making things better. When I lived in Edithvale we had two houses in our street owned by the department, the people were fine and my children played with their children.

What really gets me that people slate an area that they have never lived in and have no real idea other than from snobby people or the papers.

Not everyone has the money to live in the so called, better suburbs. I had friends who had an apartment in the city, beautiful building, beautiful apartment, high security. However it also attracted members of the criminal fraternity because they have the money, they wanted the security. So give me ordinary land anytime, then I know who is living next door.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Places I would avoid are Frankston, Dandenong, Sunshine, Flemington, Collingwood, Altona, Footscray, Werribee

Parts of some of these areas are lovely though. South Frankston has stunning acreage properties and clifftop mansions with bay views. Footscray has some great trendy cafe-latte streets.

Best to have a look at areas in order to make up your own minds.

BB

MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -

walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

Parts of some of these areas are lovely though. South Frankston has stunning acreage properties and clifftop mansions with bay views. Footscray has some great trendy cafe-latte streets.

Best to have a look at areas in order to make up your own minds.

BB

Oh, I agree with you and as per my comment above you can't really compare rough areas in Melbourne with rough areas in the UK as you get nowhere near the same concentration of of social problems. It does amuse me here when people talk about the less salubrious parts of Melbourne. Compare that to the huge social problems in places like Moss Side or Toxteth.

Traditionally the 'rough' area have been the western suburbs but things are changing and they are getting trendified now. Footscray used to be full of druggies and so did St Kilda, the red light district, but not so much now. Even Dandenong has its charm though I wouldn't want to live there, have to admit.

If your OH will be working in Campbellfield have a look at the housing around Craigieburn.I'd Google map the areas and get a street view to get a rough idea. There's plenty of towns in striking distance of Campbellfield without the "unsavoury. "Melbourne suburbs. Might be cheaper as well?

Craigieburn would be one of the rougher areas of Melbourne. I was looking at buying investment property there on the Highlands Estate - three of the brand new houses I was shown by an agent had windows smashed by local vandals!

BB

MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -

walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

Dear All,

First post!! I too am planning on moving to Melbourne at the start of July this year. I'm married with two girls aged 5 and 3.

At first I was looking at Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes but was put off by the poor transport links, internet access, high proportion of rental properties and the fact that the area is new and not established. I spoke with some friends and I've been advised that the area out towards Doncaster/ Bulleen/ Templestowe/ Box Hill has reasonably priced rental accom. (budget up to $550 per week and looking for a 3 bed). We've done some limited research and the primary schools in the area appear to be of a good standard.

Any advice would be welcome.

Hi, I wondered if anyone living in Melbourne good give me some pointers regarding which areas of Melbourne to avoid?! I am researching short term accomodation, and longer term rentals too, and feel like my head is buzzing. I thought it would help to know where the rougher areas are. We have sons in their early teens, so even in the short term accomodation I imagine they will want to take them selves off to explore a bit, and I don't want to end up renting somewhere this would be ill advised to do!

I think my OH will be working at Campbellfield.

Thank you for any info.

Avoid Dandenong and surrounding areas in my opinion!

Look at the Eastern burbs- the schools tend to be the best in Melbourne if you have children.

Oh, I agree with you and as per my comment above you can't really compare rough areas in Melbourne with rough areas in the UK as you get nowhere near the same concentration of of social problems. It does amuse me here when people talk about the less salubrious parts of Melbourne. Compare that to the huge social problems in places like Moss Side or Toxteth.

I Agree with the above.

From what I have seen here so far (and I live near and drive though some of the so called rougher Western Suburbs) it is nothing compared to any UK city or town with a large working class population (I hate that phrase).

From my perspective a place like Werribee or Altona is nothing compared to the rougher areas/suburbs of Blackburn or Burnley (the ones in the UK where myself and my wife are originally from), I would even say they are probably on par with areas/suburbs in the middle of the UK rough to affluent scale

I grew up in a so called rough area in Blackburn where most of the terraced homes have been pulled down because they were unfit to live in. These places have their fair share of problems but are nowhere near as bad as Moss Side or Toxteth. Moss Side or Toxteth (insert infamous UK area/estate here) are probably the wrong areas to use when comparing Melbourne to the UK

On balance though I would say you do get more gun crime out here (3 shootings last weekend in Melbourne), Crystal Meth use is also a big problem out here and you don't have biker gang wars either.

Edited by gwolst77

I Agree with the above.

From what I have seen here so far (and I live near and drive though some of the so called rougher Western Suburbs) it is nothing compared to any UK city or town with a large working class population (I hate that phrase).

From my perspective a place like Werribee or Altona is nothing compared to the rougher areas/suburbs of Blackburn or Burnley (the ones in the UK where myself and my wife are originally from), I would even say they are probably on par with areas/suburbs in the middle of the UK rough to affluent scale

I grew up in a so called rough area in Blackburn where most of the terraced homes have been pulled down because they were unfit to live in. These places have their fair share of problems but are nowhere near as bad as Moss Side or Toxteth. Moss Side or Toxteth (insert infamous UK area/estate here) are probably the wrong areas to use when comparing Melbourne to the UK

On balance though I would say you do get more gun crime out here (3 shootings last weekend in Melbourne), Crystal Meth use is also a big problem out here and you don't have biker gang wars either.

Hey! did you ever frequent the Cats Whiskers ?

Avoid Dandenong and surrounding areas in my opinion!

There are some beautiful estates in North Dandenong with fantastic parks and wetlands etc.

Hey! did you ever frequent the Cats Whiskers ?

Bit before my time that place