How many people receive their visa and then don't move to Australia

richdownunder

Guest chris955
I think it would actually be a mistake for you to come. The people who settle well come with a positive attitude and never weigh up pros and cons like you are doing. I would forget the whole thing because it isn't easy when you get here and if you are uncertain now- well don't do it!

What a ridiculous statement, if you weigh up the pros on cons of what could be the single most important decision you ever make you arent the right person for Australia ? Bizarre.

What a ridiculous statement, if you weigh up the pros on cons of what could be the single most important decision you ever make you arent the right person for Australia ? Bizarre.

Some people think its true though. I was told the same about new zealand, that i was over thinking everything and didnt sound positive

Guest Ptp113

Its a perfectly logical statement. Some people these days are soft, lack commitment, and are totally unsuited to migration.

Edited by ali

Guest chris955
Some people think its true though. I was told the same about new zealand, that i was over thinking everything and didnt sound positive

Its a pathetic attitude, of course people will weigh up the pros and cons, its human nature and sensible.

Have you considered renting out your house and just renting here for a while?

The exchange rate certainly shouldn't stop you coming if you really want to and you have options like the renting out.

That is exactly what we have done (different reasons as we are on a 457 visa so don't know if we will be staying long term). Yes renting can be frustrating, but on the other hand you get to see if you really love the place and try out different areas.

I think there's something in that Stace .. just thinking of our own migration journey, whilst we looked at the reasons that people returned I can't remember thinking that we wouldn't succeed. We didn't spend a long period of time of time thinking about the pro's and cons - once we decided to go then that was it - I think you can over think things

I think there's something in that Stace .. just thinking of our own migration journey, whilst we looked at the reasons that people returned I can't remember thinking that we wouldn't succeed. We didn't spend a long period of time of time thinking about the pro's and cons - once we decided to go then that was it - I think you can over think things

I agree - im constantly overthinking things and thats what i did with NZ. I was always thinking worse case scenario before we even applied for a visa. Spent too much time on another forum looking at posts that the majority were really negative and then things changed with my grandad and eric - and i just decided not to go for it. Regret it a bit but theres always the future esp if i go to uni

Guest chris955

Absolutely, overthinking is as bad as putting no thought into it at all. Both ways you can come unstuck in a big way.

I agree - im constantly overthinking things and thats what i did with NZ. I was always thinking worse case scenario before we even applied for a visa. Spent too much time on another forum looking at posts that the majority were really negative and then things changed with my grandad and eric - and i just decided not to go for it. Regret it a bit but theres always the future esp if i go to uni

Have to admit the night before we emigrated I had this awful nightmare which I still remember nearly 40 years on. We had absolutely no idea what to expect ( things were pretty primitive then) and I dreamed of this filthy hovel with no privacy, open sewers and nasty neighbours. Course that's exactly what it was like -haha ( no, not really)

Guest Ptp113
Have to admit the night before we emigrated I had this awful nightmare which I still remember nearly 40 years on. We had absolutely no idea what to expect ( things were pretty primitive then) and I dreamed of this filthy hovel with no privacy, open sewers and nasty neighbours. Course that's exactly what it was like -haha ( no, not really)

Wow, have you been here nearly 40 years?

I'm sorry but I agree the ones that have a "safety net" back in the UK and who have over thought every single scenario are the ones that end up giving up. Those that come over with a positive can do will do attitude are more likely to make a success of the move .

I was one of a group of 10 friends who moved around the same time. 9, including myself sold up everything. All 8 are now back in the UK. The only only one other than me still here is the one with a place still back there.

All generalisations are wrong!

But seriously, emigration is life changing and the expense and time commitment of it means that even if you do return, you never quite go back to where you were before. Some people are happy with their decision to migrate and others aren't. The world is full of unhappy migrants, filled with regrets and broken dreams. Some of them might even live near you. I do believe you have more chance of not ending up like them if you emigrate for positive rather than negative reasons. It is an emotional experience and the decision to emigrate should probably be based on emotion rather than intellect. If you are not in a position to give that emotional commitment (and there's no shame in that), then you may well be better off not going ahead with it. Certainly anyone who has serious doubts should not feel pressured by other people's envy.

Why the rush to sell up anyway?

We certainly weren't going to wait - moved out even before the visa came through as a tourist & then validated when Australia House were good and ready!

We couldnt care less about exchange rate. We left a house in the UK which is rented out - no worries at all. We'll buy something here when we've saved the deposit, hopefully in a year or so. yes we could have a bigger spot if we'd sold up in London, but to be honest it's not that big a deal these days with the modern banking and internet etc in terms of managing the place, it might as well be an investment property in another state of Aus.

I don't always understand why people are so keen to sell everything up immediately and move - why not wait and see how things work out? Don't let " a bad exchange rate" stop you following your dreams.

I'm sorry but I agree the ones that have a "safety net" back in the UK and who have over thought every single scenario are the ones that end up giving up. Those that come over with a positive can do will do attitude are more likely to make a success of the move .

i'm fairly sure this assertion is nonsense.

The sensible thing would be to do all your thinking and weighing up of the pros and cons before you apply for your visa. If your in a position to apply and go ahead with the application you should be committed to going......some would say even excited about going.

Once in possesion of the visa......go......it is as simple as that, if your in possesion of the visa and your not going for one reason or another, you have not thought it through enough.....We have had the odd member that has the visa and reels of any number of reasons why they cant go from exchange rate to pension issues.....then the kids dont want to go.....then someone needs an op......all this whilst continually moaning and complaining about everything UK.

Reading what others have said on this thread is exactly how I was/would be.....If I couldnt sell my house or was going to lose too much money I would also rent it out. If I was concerned about losing money on the exchange rate......well its money I never realy had anyway.....worst case scenario, dont bring it all and wait for a more favourable exchange rate.....lost my job....Great!.....no better excuse to leave the UK.....the reality is moving over there is a life changing experience and if you were serious from the start nothing should be too big an obstacal once you have the visa.

I actually agree with it ,more than i would disagree.. For us personally selling the house and everything ,made us put that little extra effort in when things got tough (and things do get tough in those first few years). I have come across a couple of familys who gave up when the going got tough or they came across something they didnt like, as (in their words) 'they had left everything in the UK to return too''.

Cal x

Guest Ptp113
I actually agree with it ,more than i would disagree.. For us personally selling the house and everything ,made us put that little extra effort in when things got tough (and things do get tough in those first few years). I have come across a couple of familys who gave up when the going got tough or they came across something they didnt like, as (in their words) 'they had left everything in the UK to return too''.

Cal x

It is tough and poms nowadays are softer than before. Easier to do the 'Pommy Run' than have a go.

I agree that it is complete nonsense. Having a safety net does not mean that a person is negative or likely to give up, it just means that they have a safety net. It is risk management and there is nothing wrong with that. I also prefer to have options in life than not have them.

We have a house in the UK which could be considered a safety net but really was more to do with us deciding better to leave it there as an investment than sell whilst prices are low and exchange rate is bad. It didn't take much more than 30 seconds to work this out so it definitely was not over thinking. So we leave that alone for now and rent here whilst we save a deposit, working out just fine. I haven't found anything tough yet either, what are all these tough things that are supposed to happen in the early years and might make me want to leave?

Edited by Rupert