How many people receive their visa and then don't move to Australia

richdownunder

Hi,

I've had my visa for a couple of years now and have been out and activated it, but for a number of reasons keep putting off the move down under. I definitely want to move and will move, but am considering delaying it further as the dollar is so strong and it hurts me to transfer my money at $1.45-$1.50 versus the $1.75 when I first started applying for visas, especially when all my planning was around buying a house at $700K versus now, when using the same amount of sterling, would be $600K. While I know I can still get a lovely house for that, it does hurt....a bit....ok a lot!!

Is anyone else in the same position and considering delaying or not moving at all?

Be great to get some thoughts on this.

R.

Guest Guest 47403
The exchange rate will probably only get worse so each day you um and ar about it, the more money you'll loose!

I have to agree the £ is weak against everything! And the Oz $ is not about to crash.................get your flights booked if your intent on going.

Guest Ptp113
Hi,

I've had my visa for a couple of years now and have been out and activated it, but for a number of reasons keep putting off the move down under. I definitely want to move and will move, but am considering delaying it further as the dollar is so strong and it hurts me to transfer my money at $1.45-$1.50 versus the $1.75 when I first started applying for visas, especially when all my planning was around buying a house at $700K versus now, when using the same amount of sterling, would be $600K. While I know I can still get a lovely house for that, it does hurt....a bit....ok a lot!!

Is anyone else in the same position and considering delaying or not moving at all?

R.

It's the most common excuse given by those who lack the bottle/commitment to do it.

Got my Oz PR in Nov 2008 and it runs out in 8 months time. Got all my ducks lined up to move at the beginning of last year but the exchange rate, cost of living and lack of IT jobs in Oz (with employers focusing heavily on local experience and qualifications theses days) didn't add up. The grass isnt always greener and things change.

Got a good job/career in the uk and a nice house with a mortgage i'll pay off in the next 5 years - not going to throw that away for a bit more sun to be messed around finding work and renting forever.

I lived, worked and travelled around Oz back in 98/99 when it was less populated, cheap, safe and didn't have the red tape thats crept in over the years. Been disappointed in comparison on my last two trips recently so no regrets.

Got my Oz PR in Nov 2008 and it runs out in 8 months time. Got all my ducks lined up to move at the beginning of last year but the exchange rate, cost of living and lack of IT jobs in Oz (with employers focusing heavily on local experience and qualifications theses days) didn't add up. The grass isnt always greener and things change.

Got a good job/career in the uk and a nice house with a mortgage i'll pay off in the next 5 years - not going to throw that away for a bit more sun to be messed around finding work and renting forever.

I lived, worked and travelled around Oz back in 98/99 when it was less populated, cheap, safe and didn't have the red tape thats crept in over the years. Been disappointed in comparison on my last two trips recently so no regrets.

It is a perfectly valid and rational decision to make. Nobody moves to Australia for financial upside or making a killing on the property market these days.

These days moving to Australia has to be about wanting something different; be it a change, an adventure or for some a hotter climate.

We also missed the high exchange rate days when we moved here 2.5 years ago, but we made the most of it. We sent money back to UK instead and now have saved up enough to pay off the UK mortgage on our house in SE England. We now will turn our attention to saving up a deposit here, it is like starting again but for us, it is so what, we will do what needs doing because we like our lives here.

If you want to move to Australia seriously then the exchange rate should not be an issue.

So many use it has an excuse not to go

But did they actually really want to go in the first place?

We came nearly 3 years ago

Lost money on house sale basically lost on most things

But we knew for sure that money isn't everything in life

3 years on we have a fantastic lifestyle and love life here

I have some money to move other soon

How long do you wait????

Guest Ptp113
If you want to move to Australia seriously then the exchange rate should not be an issue.

How long do you wait????

Are you sure you're a pom?

Makes me smile, you haven't had the money so you haven't lost it! When I started looking it was 2.7:1 when we came over it was 1.5:1 so what, here we are 16 months later living the most fantastic life with great jobs and a brand new 4 x2 house that only cost $450,000

Best thing we ever done.

Makes me smile, you haven't had the money so you haven't lost it! When I started looking it was 2.7:1 when we came over it was 1.5:1 so what, here we are 16 months later living the most fantastic life with great jobs and a brand new 4 x2 house that only cost $450,000

Best thing we ever done.

Yeah but in a house "only " worth $450,00 however do you manage? :wink:

I know it's so strange having everything we wanted built to our specification gor that much. I wonder if our friends in their $800 k house will still speak to us lol

Really does make me smile, just need to get over here and make the most of it.

Hi,

R.

Whilst I really sympathize on the house front, they are not getting cheaper (despite the doomsayers) so houses may increase beyond exchange rates while you procrastinate....

Emigration is a big commitment. It is also crippling, financially. I suspect the true cost won't become apparent until retirement. The exchange rate does matter. If you had expected one kind of lifestyle but come over and find you can only afford a reduced lifestyle you might not be happy. Of course there are people who manage with much less, but you are competing against your expectations and aspirations, not other people. Some people have very strong personal reasons for wanting to make the move regardless of cost - and good luck to them. For others, the move is less pressing - a nice idea but not the be all and end all. In that case, weigh up all the costs and benefits and see where you are at. I doubt that the exchange rate is going to alter in the UKs favour any time soon, but that's no reason to feel pressured into making a move just because it looked right three years ago.

We moved last July and love it here. We have left nearly all our money in the UK. We didn't want to give our UK house away, so it is rented out. We are making a small profit on it each month, which should pay for any maintenance.

We are now saving up to buy here, we plan to build and with the $23500 new construction/first home buyers grants, we'll be good to go in May.

In the UK my husband worked for himself and did quite well, I was a senior teacher in a large secondary school and we were always hard up working. Now my husband works for someone, comes home at a reasonable time and I only work 3 days a week. We are far better off than we were in the UK on a weekly/monthly basis. But the main thing is we spend so much quality time together as a family. Our kids love it here and so do we.

if the house prices in the UK pick up and the exchange rate improves we will sell up in the UK and pay off our very large Aussie mortgage. But for the time being when we buy here, with a small saved deposit, we will only be paying $30 per week more than our rent AND our kids are growing up with us not working 24/7!

I agree, we never even considered the exchange rate, we wanted to come and came, never considered it.

When we moved the housing market in the Uk was crashing, we ended up at auction and walking away with nothing, so no deposit for a house here, we rented, never rented before..

We didnt grumble or moan, it was our choice and we took the chance.

Money certainly wasnt everything.

4 yrs on we have had ups and downs, health issues crop up here and in the UK and its been far from paradise. Its just life, wherever you live.

We have never regretted starting again (hubby was over 40)

life is what you make it, you only get one shot and money was never a reason to move or not, it was not considered. We moved for other reasons.

We love our life here, we have a great lifestyle and are happy despite everything, because we chose to get on with it and make it what we wanted.

:)

How long do you wait????

I think it would actually be a mistake for you to come. The people who settle well come with a positive attitude and never weigh up pros and cons like you are doing. I would forget the whole thing because it isn't easy when you get here and if you are uncertain now- well don't do it!

I think it would actually be a mistake for you to come. The people who settle well come with a positive attitude and never weigh up pros and cons like you are doing. I would forget the whole thing because it isn't easy when you get here and if you are uncertain now- well don't do it!

This sounds very harsh but it has some good sense at its heart. Many people have a stab at migration and find it's not for them. It is much harder than many people think, and I suspect the people who manage it best are the ones who are coming for something they really want, not the ones who are trying to avoid something they don't want. I came with a positive attitude and have been here for three years yesterday and I still wonder whether I'll make it! If I'd been half-hearted , by now I'd either have gone home or stood in front of a train.