189 PR Granted. Very happy and willing to advice anyone if possible

Hi guys,

I havent logged in for a while!

So two weeks ago my partner and I got our PR granted : ) I cannot describe how happy we are.

We applied shortly after the new system with Skillselect was introduced in July 2012. I though it was going to be a nightmare to get an invitation to start with.

Luckily, my partner is an engineer and the ceiling for his profession is quite high.

In November we got an email with the invitation to apply and the $3000 fee to pay. One week after submitting the online form and paying the fee our case officer emailed us with the documentation required, which I had most ready to submit. The only documents we had to apply for were the police checks and the health exams, which took quite a while since we have been to a number of different countries.

The problem is that we were not aware that we would be moved from our temporary visas to a bridging visa A, meaning we could not leave the country till a decision for the visa was made. This was a little nightmare cos we already had our holidays planned and booked. However, applying for a permission to travel (bridging visa B) was quite easy and at the end we were allowed to go abroad.

To sum up the whole story, the final docs were submitted at the end of February (after one o the police checks getting lost in the mail and wasting a long precious time in dealing with public departments, etc) and our residency was granted 8/03/2013.

This forum has been of great help for me during the application process, so I would like to thank everyone for sharing their stories and opinions.

Whilst I have no legal background or formal qualification to offer advice I like to say that if you need any lets say 'tips' or questions I would be happy to answer you within my knowledge and experience.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys,

I havent logged in for a while!

So two weeks ago my partner and I got our PR granted : ) I cannot describe how happy we are.

We applied shortly after the new system with Skillselect was introduced in July 2012. I though it was going to be a nightmare to get an invitation to start with.

Luckily, my partner is an engineer and the ceiling for his profession is quite high.

In November we got an email with the invitation to apply and the $3000 fee to pay. One week after submitting the online form and paying the fee our case officer emailed us with the documentation required, which I had most ready to submit. The only documents we had to apply for were the police checks and the health exams, which took quite a while since we have been to a number of different countries.

The problem is that we were not aware that we would be moved from our temporary visas to a bridging visa A, meaning we could not leave the country till a decision for the visa was made. This was a little nightmare cos we already had our holidays planned and booked. However, applying for a permission to travel (bridging visa B) was quite easy and at the end we were allowed to go abroad.

To sum up the whole story, the final docs were submitted at the end of February (after one o the police checks getting lost in the mail and wasting a long precious time in dealing with public departments, etc) and our residency was granted 8/03/2013.

This forum has been of great help for me during the application process, so I would like to thank everyone for sharing their stories and opinions.

Whilst I have no legal background or formal qualification to offer advice I like to say that if you need any lets say 'tips' or questions I would be happy to answer you within my knowledge and experience.

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations ! Please share your timeline ! cheers !

Congratulations.

I would love to hear more about the bridging visa issue. As far as I was aware bridging visa a does not kick in until your old one runs out. So assuming you can leave and enter on the old visa (and that it didn't expire while you were away) then you just have to reapply for bridging visa a once back in the country. It isn't a situation which comes up often, and I have defenatly seen people who's co has told them to reapply for bridging visa a on their return, so just wondering why your case was different.