457 visas- Any positive comments?

Emma83

I wonder if the type of employment you're being sponsored for has relevance here? As with Emma, my husband is being sponsored by a hosp for a nursing post in mental health and this was on the back of a recruitment campaign where the NSWs health reps came over to the UK to interview and had heavily advertised in the nursing journals etc. Surely they genuinely need this skill set from the UK (and elsewhere) if they were pushing such an expensive recruitment campaign - or am I/we being naive? We are very realistic re the implications of the 457 visa although... I have to admit the recruiters were keen to say the hosp would be happy to sponsor a PR in the future so this was an attraction for us.

Yeh they said the same to us at the interviews about the potential to convert to PR. As people have said I guess this gives the employer time to 'trial' us but thats kind of a 2 way street as it gives us a chance to 'try before we buy' too. Keep in touch Robertsclan and let me know how you guys get on x

Sorry for another 457 question but does the visa have a start date /validity period on it? the reason I'm asking is although they would like me to start as soon as possible, I have commitments here so said I could start July. My commitments for June have just been cancelled so I could go sooner. I think there hadn't been an urgency to get my visa as it's 3 months away (I want it now! So I know things are happening) does the 4 years start counting from day of issue?

Sorry for another 457 question but does the visa have a start date /validity period on it? the reason I'm asking is although they would like me to start as soon as possible, I have commitments here so said I could start July. My commitments for June have just been cancelled so I could go sooner. I think there hadn't been an urgency to get my visa as it's 3 months away (I want it now! So I know things are happening) does the 4 years start counting from day of issue?

It's maximum 4 years from the date of issue. But shorter periods can be applied for

Its related to the day its granted on my 457, so my visa is valid from 19/03/2013 to 19/03/2017 even though I won't be entering Australia until May (ish)

We came to Perth in September 2011 on a 457 visa. We came with the company oh was working for in the UK. Visa came through in about 2 weeks. Adult children remained in the UK. Thoroughly enjoying our time here, but no plans to stay permanently. As has been previously said on other threads, this is a long term work permit, it's worked perfectly for us. No complaints.

Your 2 years must nearly be up somgirl, are you still going back later this year? And how do you feel about that?

Straight question. I originally thought we might be here 2, now I think it will be at least 4. Don't think I'd want to go back now, not yet, hardly feels like we've been here 5 minutes

Glad it's working out for you!

Yes, we still have plans to head back to UK later this year, about September time.

It is brilliant here, we've managed to get out and see lots of places. I have made some friends here who I will miss, along with the big blue sky, and the sunshine, though the heat of a Perth Summer does stop me doing the amount of walking I like to do!

I'm not looking forward to the 'greyness' of the Uk, but will enjoy seeing more of/and spending time with my family and friends. We still have our house in the UK, my old job is gone, but will try at some stage to get back into the school I was working in.

As has been said millions of times, nowhere is perfect, there's good and bad in both countries. I had always wanted to come to Australia in particular, and have still to explore the east coast.

We always looked upon this opportunity as a two year holiday, but I think I would struggle to shake off this feeling of being away from 'home' and settle here permanently.

I think you've weighed up the pros and cons of the 457 visa pretty well. If you are mental health nurses I don't think the working environment here is going to be a lot different than the UK. It's a very well controlled and established function of health care and you will know how it works and what pay you are getting in the UK.

I'm guessing you've researched what pay and conditions you will be on here. The visa is a means to get PR for a lot of people and while it doesn't work for some, works very well for others.

Guilty as charged! On Pat leave at the moment so plenty of time available. And I'm not backing down in the face of someone who's just spraying unsubstantiated smears around on the basis of his prejudice and no facts

Sorry

:biggrin:

Tough guy eh....

me neither

Just for the record not against 457s that live up to the original intent.

Edited by flag of convenience

Good experience on the 457 for us. Myself, wife and the 2 kids have been on it since June 2011 and are going through the process of obtaining PR through my employer (RSMS). We haven't found it restrictive and it definitely offered us a cheaper, fast and easier route to Oz. I see you're coming from the UK so you should be entitled to reciprocal medicare which is good. This may not be relevant, but bear in mind that if you are planning on seeking finance (car for example), the length of the finance agreement can only be within the term length of the visa (based on my own experience). Good luck.

We cam on a 457 visa with every intention to move permaently and hoped for the best. We knew we may have to return but the company was sponsering us for PR and it was our only way to get here and last chance due to hubbys age. We also moved with 4 kids. We got Pr quickly after we had been here just over 2 yrs.

It worked fine for us and lots that I know.

However, it is a risk as if you fail medicals, dont get sponsership, loose job ect... then you may have to return to the UK. It does work for lots of people though, just be aware of the risks :)

Guest guest71715

we may not have a choice, we are currently waiting for TRA response. my OH has struggled to get 8,s on IELTS hes done it 3 times now. So when the time comes to apply we may only have enough points to apply for 457. I find the visa system so complicated. Can anyone advise me. Is it easy to apply for PR from a 457 if we do want to settle there permenantly? we are hoping to fo to sydney later in the year

thanks for any replies

I have obtained hundreds of 457 visas for my clients. The vast majority have been a positive relationship for both employer and employee.

As with any work relationship, sometimes it does not work out.

As with any system, there will be those who try to exploit it (both employers and employees) for their own benefit.

As a whole the system works very well in achieving what it was designed for, that is, quickly filling labour shortages in the Australian workforce.

People will have problems when they try to use the 457 system for something it was not designed for.

oh and we come on a 457 with the intention of staying, its not as bad as people make out, whats the worst that could happen you have to go back or move to another country! we moved not much money, 4 kids, 457 visa wasnt even granted (another story) shipped stuff ourselves oh and funny enough customs opened only hubbies tools, self packed no insurance! and were good :)

• 10 months later...

Im a mental health nurse and 457 been great for us...I think for nurses 457s can wrk really well espicially if you get a job wth the government/dept of health..I'd say it is more of a risk for other professions..I was with nsw health who originally sponsored me..I didnt like that job and easily got qld health to take over sponsorship (also had ramsay health offer) and thats where i am now..we are applying for pr now just so we have more options of studying or buying a house. Ive not seen many nurses complain abt 457 so if u knw all abt the visa and are happy with conditions like we are then dnt let ther ppls experience put u off...we are all in individual cirumstances