What is there to do for teenagers in Melbourne?

imo2oz

It looks like we may be moving to Melbourne in June (depending on details of job offer), and my sons are worried there won't be anything fun for them to do there! They are ages 12 and 13, and are into football (soccer), scootering, swimming (only for fun, not competing), Xbox gaming and just hanging out with their mates really. What sort of activities do youngsters get up to in Melbourne? They want to hear from people who live there rather than me fobbing them off with what I think!

My son read that Melbourne was good for art and culture, and that has put him off going! :arghh:

Can anyone offer an alternative opinion of the city?!?

Thank you

Imogen

Melbourne has been recently labelled the sports capital of the world.

i get the feeling if they like their sports, then they'll love it.

go out, get involved, Melbourne is a magical and very welcoming city.

the big thing is to get out there and do it. poms who come here and do the same ol, and sit infront of the telly (which is shockingly bad btw) dont tend to last long.

get into it, and it will reward you tenfold!

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the numerous sports on offer, including but not limited to soccer, they might enjoy:

Laser-Tag / Skirmish

Ice skating

Movies at the bean bag cinema (at the Hoyts complex)

Rock climbing (indoor and outdoor)

Horse riding

Surfing

Indoor Aquatic centre and Wave Rider

Indoor Warhammer Strategy Gaming

Paintball

The list is endless really and will largely come down to what they want to do as opposed to what there is to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

My two older boys are 14 and 13 and both into skateboarding and scootering. We have found Melbourne to be awash with skateboard and scooter facilities both in and outdoor. As for swimming, there are any amount of pools around. Depending on where you're located, I could give you some names of places we've already visited so if you'd like to pm me, I'll let you have any info I can provide.

As far as 'cultural/art' goes, mine too would've turned their noses up but to be honest, they've thoroughly enjoyed the events and activities we've taken them to in the city, many of which are free (what a bonus). Fed Square is our 'second home' - there's just so much on offer here, it's difficult to be stuck for something to do.

Look forward to hearing from you and if there's anything else I can help with, I'd be happy to.

Regards

Debbie

It looks like we may be moving to Melbourne in June (depending on details of job offer), and my sons are worried there won't be anything fun for them to do there! They are ages 12 and 13, and are into football (soccer), scootering, swimming (only for fun, not competing), Xbox gaming and just hanging out with their mates really. What sort of activities do youngsters get up to in Melbourne? They want to hear from people who live there rather than me fobbing them off with what I think!

My son read that Melbourne was good for art and culture, and that has put him off going! :arghh:

Can anyone offer an alternative opinion of the city?!?

Thank you

Imogen