foster carers advice needed

taffordbark

We are in the same situation ourselves with our 12 year old foster child. He has lived with us 6 years and is just like one of our own children. We are going to Aus on a 457 and have started adoption proceedings (except I have 4 depts in social services arguing and giving me different advice so I haven't been able to proceed with application at court yet!) Hopefully next week we are mtg and can progress application. Now I'm worried that they won't let us adopt as it coincides with moving to Aus, while this is the catalyst for adoption it's not the main reason. Migration agents say he must be adopted but don't know if this will hold up visa application for my husband, or whether we are all assessed individually. Apparently legal dept say I can get permission from court to take him on his care order and adoption can be finalised in Aus via video link. They did this last year with a child who moved to Canada. Does anyone have any advice?????

As I said in an earlier post, you cannot take the child abroad unless the adoption has been completed which can take a significant amount of time depending if it's a contested hearing etc. Special Guardianship order too would prevent you from taking the child abroad as the mother always retains parental responsibilty unless the child has been adopted. You could be waiting a long time.

• 3 months later...

Pleased to report the adoption hearing is sorted and will be completed on 23rd Dec, should have all necessary paperwork and documentation to move in January 2012. Have to say a huge thank you to social services who, once they all got together, have worked their socks off to make this happen.

• 3 years later...

We are in a similar situation, any information greatly received??

Glad you tracked this thread down, Nikki Noosh, even though it doesn't sound like it's good news: I've just read through the thread and it's very clear that the children need to be adopted, not just in special guardianship.

Looks like your only hope is if there has been a change of legislation since 2011, when this post was last updated.

Archived