Technical Interview for Diesel Mechanic (HEAVY)

CMF713

Hi Chris, I did the tech interview in Sept 2012. It lasted 2 hours and was like a slide show with questions. They are not trying to catch you out and give you plenty of time to answer. Some of the terminology is different and I said this at the start and anytime I didn't quite understand the question I asked the Interviewer who is a qualified Mechanic also to clarify. The interview covers H&S, electrics, circuits, hydraulics etc. I was sick with nerves and got through it fine full marks! The result took 10 days but is sweet when you get it. Its natural to worry but all they want to know is that you know your trade and not chancing your arm. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to help.

• 3 months later...

Finally had my technical interview for Diesel Motor Mechanic (321212) at the end of last month and was successful (phew) and got my certs this week. Now just waiting for our EOI to be processed, we submitted last week (nominated 190 for WA) and just wondering how long this phase takes?

Thanks everyone.

Chris

• 8 months later...

Hi Rita,

the whole skills assessment took about 12 weeks from sending the application off. I first sent all my certification off and got that part back with an invite to apply for the technical interview. Once I applied for the technical interview I had about a 3-4 wait before I had the interview I got about a weeks notice of the interview. When ever I was getting anxious I normally just got up super early and gave them a ring to check on my progress.

Hope this helps

Cheers Chris

• 7 months later...

Ok, I now have to do a tech interview on Diesel Motor Mechanic (Heavy Commercial Vehicle) at Manchester next month. I've looked at the common units they ask.

Engines and fuel

Steering and suspension

Braking

Trans and drivelines

Batteries and electrical systems.

So I've done fitting for over 20 years now but have never been put to the test. I run my own business fitting and have done for 10 year +. Would like to know what kind of Q's get asked. on the units I'm not to good on.

Engines and fuel = Confident

Steering and suspension = Confident

Braking = V confident

Trans and drivelines = Unsure

Batteries and electrical systems.= Unsure.

Hi,

my technical interview was pretty straightforward. It was done on Skype with power point. The bloke doing the interview asked me about what I did and put me at ease,then we started. The format was he would show me pictures of things (starter motor etc etc) and ask me about them.

I made sure I answered with as much technical information as possible and incorporated health and safety, Engineering hygiene etc etc into as many answers as possible.

All in all it took about an hour and three quarters.

Sure you you will be fine, as long as you know the basics and can explain how things work and workshop practices.

good luck.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well just got back from Manchester today after sitting my Tech interview this morning. Must say it went ok apart from the internet connection going down a few times. I answered all questions with as much detail as possible. He asked me about repairing and rebuilding starters, alternator etc and I was honest and told him that in our day and age we replace rather than repair due to getting downtime to a minimum so I have very little knowledge in this apart from 15 year ago in college. I think I done ok and the secret is giving answers in depth which helped a lot as although the topic was about eg. stability control I also covered yaw control and brake pressures along with EBS etc which made us skip quite alot of slides but the results will tell all in 10 days time.

Andy

Edited by Adidasandy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/20/2013 at 03:16, landrover7 said:

Hi Chris, I did the tech interview in Sept 2012. It lasted 2 hours and was like a slide show with questions. They are not trying to catch you out and give you plenty of time to answer. Some of the terminology is different and I said this at the start and anytime I didn't quite understand the question I asked the Interviewer who is a qualified Mechanic also to clarify. The interview covers H&S, electrics, circuits, hydraulics etc. I was sick with nerves and got through it fine full marks! The result took 10 days but is sweet when you get it. Its natural to worry but all they want to know is that you know your trade and not chancing your arm. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to help.

Hey friends,

I am Digant, i am also going for vetases technical interview on coming 14 September 2017, i know your posts are old but they are worth reading. 

I am also bit nervous about my interview...is there any body can help to tell in detail what happens in this interview? 

Do they ask about remove n fitting rather that theory knowledge?

Pls reply in detail. I felt already bit good after reading replies of other candidates..but its just my curiosity to know in full detail.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Hie just visited this page and it's worth it.Ive just passed my documentary evidence stage for Diesel Motor Mechanic (mobile plant)now awaiting for my technical interview dates so my question is would love to have a light on what question they ask is it theory or practical thank you your response wil be greatly appreciated