jennychin1210

What are the chances for Ecology Jobs (Freshwater)

Hi

My boyfriend and I are currently looking at working in Australia as I have several family members there and we want a new adventure as we're still young.

We noticed that Ecology is on the list of wanted jobs and he has a Degree in Biological Sciences and a Distinction Masters Degree in Ecology. For the last three and a half years he has been working for the Governments Environment Agency here in Britain as a Freshwater Ecologist and is currently undertaking more training including 4X4 training and handling a boat. He is also currently running trials on different Rivers as the team leader and is in charge of several surveys and research tasks.

I have a degree in Practical Media and have worked in several charity organisations including Marie Curie Cancer Care in England in the last two and a half years. My current position is for a Hospice Charity as a Fundraiser which includes Corporate Fundraising, Event Fundraising, Community Fundraising and Educational Fundraising.

We just wanted to know what are the chances of getting a job in the Queensland area especially as my family live there including my sister and her boyfriend.

I know that Ecology is apparently a wanted career and we just wanted more information on his chances of getting a job especially being sponsored particularly in Freshwater Ecology.

Any advice would be a great help!

:)

Hi Jennychin1210,

I have no experience in those areas but I can tell you that the list you are referring to is USELESS!

Search seek.com.au . If you do find a lot of jobs then there is a good chance you can secure a job in Queensland.

Cheers

thank you for your advice :)

i have been looking on there and a few have popped up for charity and ecology.

we mainly wanted to know as there are different jobs and he is trained in freshwater

thank you

Ecologists are employed by QLD Government (Dept of Environment) but at a guess, highly competitive field and I reckon all kinds of opportunities for discriminating against you due to lack of local experience (limited exposure to dingos, turtles, Australian sand dunes etc)

Fundraising jobs more prevalent - can't move in QLD without someone trying to tap you up for cash in the street, phoning, tin rattling etc - Again very competitive

The jobs in demand list is pretty useless - and QLD has suffered very high job losses in govt, and even in traditionally hard to fill areas - nursing etc. QLD is not the state to head for if you are seeking work.

It is a good state for fun and a holiday, and if you bring enough $ to tide you over till you find work (estimate about 6 months), you are young enough to explore other states for work....

It can be hard word and short term. My brother and his girlfriend are both very highly respected in this field both being Dr's and having global experience. They took positions in Adelaide however funding dried up after 2 years and they are now back in UK.

Best of luck in your search.

S

Thames Migration appointed Jun 12 and 189 Visa granted Jan 13:wink:. Landed Sep 14 and roots being quickly established. Brisbane, what an amazing place with incredible opportunity.

Thank you very much everyone for your advice, it is extremely kind of you to help us :)

We will look on that website and are considering visiting Brisbane area this year to go and see what it's like and speak to some people before we make a move