Working Holiday. Experiences finding work?

johnlondon

Hey. I'm just wondering if anyone who is currently in Australia on a working holiday visa or who has been recently would like to share their experiences on finding work?

Is it easy to find work?

Also does the typical jobs you do on a working holiday visa pay enough to allow you to stay in Australia for the whole year?

Which areas of Australia are currently good for work?

I already have my working holiday visa and I was thinking about going out in April or May but I have read on pomzinoz that some people are struggling to find work, i'm not sure if they are talking about sponsored work or working holiday work? Basically i'm looking to bring about 4000 or 5000 pound out to Australia and travel around and work and possibly travel to some other countries too. If I know that it's hard to find work out there then I may even save some more money up here in England and go later in the year around September or October time.

Anyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated. I need to make up my mind and decide whether I should go soon or leave it till late 2013. The last thing I want to happen is to go out to Australia and come home having spent all my money after 4 months as I haven't been able to find work. That would NOT be good!

John

You should not expect your earnings from work in Aus to fund your time there as such. Its a working holiday visa and the key thing to remember is that you work to supplement your holiday and keep the funds up. You should have funds to bring with you and the immigration website advises about $5000 AUD is decent. Some head over with less, others more. But don't come over with little or nothing and expect to find a decent paying job that will cover all your expenses for the duration. And remember you can only work for a maximum of 6 months per employer.

Depending on what you want to do and see, you can plan accordingly. Do you want casual backpacking type work so you can flit about and see Aus and so on or are you wanting to find a job to last 6 months and be tied to one city or area for the time? Either way you should plan for it. Backpacking is great in that you can stay places cheaply, meet others doing the same sort of thing and usually get lots of tips and pointers on where to head and places to stay. If you plan on being in one city then you should prepare to fork out for rent, travel costs and all the things that a full time job and staying in one place entails. Funds for either are important.

Personally I view the WHV as just that, a working holiday. Go have some fun on it, travel around Aus and have decent funds before you head over so you don't end up broke before a few months are up. Don't set the bar too high for what kind of work you do therefore. Be prepared to turn you hand to anything and don't mind if you are delivering pizzas or washing up in a kitchen. If it gives you some $$ and means you don't dip into your savings too much its all good in my book.

Consider if you want to do your regional work early on to get it out the way and qualify for your second year WHV.

Depends on what sort of work you are looking for. I think it depends on how much you are looking and if your willing to be flexiable!

Average pay here is $20 an hour, so you will be looking at taking around $600 home a week (give or take) with that say $150 on accom 50-100 on food you can still be saving yourself $200 a week ish.

To work in Bars in Australia you need a 'RSA' Responisable service of alochol certifcate (different to each state) so keep this in mind.

Also call centre work is easy to pick up, Building labouring. Keep an eye on gumtree/Seek. They were my best too. And try sign up with as many agencies as possiable, at least then you have them out there looking for work for you at the same time!

Everything seems to fall into place when you get out anyway :)