Brachycephalic Breeds flying and new rules?

MrsLZB

Hi Bob Have pet air managed to be able to get direct flights to Perth yet, i called last week after finding out perth kennels are opening again, then found out i was unable to get my pooch on a flight to Perth because he is classed as a snub nose breed, he is a griffon.

I don't know what to do, he has had the rabbies jab and bloods all clear. i can't understand if they fly to Sydney why can't they fly them to Perth.

Thanks for any advice

We brought our Cocker Spaniel out ( many years ago ) and because there were no quarantine places in Adelaide at the time he was flown to Sydney and put into quarantine there for 3 months

We made weekly calls and he was then flown to Adelaide domestic -and he was fine really good condition etc and he had been very well looked after

He was quite a timid dog but he did his time well !

Hi there, looking at leaving Oz in a few months and we are hoping to take our boxer dog with us. Bob, do you know of the new ruling on transport by air of snub nose breeds? Thanks

Can anyone say if a Shar Pei is classed as a Brachycephalic breed ?

• 1 month later...
Guest westwoodc
Hi there - Also taking my Frenchie to OZ from London. My question to Bob would be simple. QANTAS now has a direct path after lifting the embargo. What is your thought to this route for a healthy Frenchie (long nosed version)?

Hi, does this mean you can fly direct to Perth? we have a bulldog and have been told she has to go to Sydney, do quarantine there and then be flown to Perth. Naturally this is not the best option for us as we wont be able to see her, and there is the additional cost of the extra flight. Thanks

Dear Last 2 posters.

Qantas have opened up their routes form UK to Australia for snub nosed dogs. though we are not happy to fly them on that route. You can either choose a transit via dubai or via vancouver with them coming out of their crates and having a break. We have made a company decision that we are not going to offer or fly dogs on the Qantas route through dubai to Australia - we just think it is a risk too far. The QANTAS route is much cheaper and more direct so it is a route which people will choose and companies will offer. I am really sorry about this, but i just feel it is the best thing for the dogs overall. i know that it is going to cost owners more if they do this route, but we have to do what we think is right even though it may cost us business to our competitors.

This post sounds like i am being an arrogant t**t, but just put yourself in my position - i am the one who has to call owners if their dogs dont make the journey. Sorry again

Also Qantas dont fly to Perth any more as they dont have a route down there.

Bob

Edited by BobPetairUK

Hi Bob - I appreciate your direct & honest response. Time for my honesty - Have you had any troubles with the Canada route before with Snubs?

I saw your post: http://www.petairuk.com/about-us/news.aspx?ArticleId=7300 - are you confident that my Frenchie would be much better of with the Vancouver route even though there is a 12 hour stopover? I would have thought that would add a layer of stress or in your opinion, do you feel the extended stopover is better for the dogs?

Look forward to your reply & thanks for being straight.

Dear Last 2 posters.

Qantas have opened up their routes form UK to Australia for snub nosed dogs. though we are not happy to fly them on that route. You can either choose a transit via dubai or via vancouver with them coming out of their crates and having a break. We have made a company decision that we are not going to offer or fly dogs on the Qantas route through dubai to Australia - we just think it is a risk too far. The QANTAS route is much cheaper and more direct so it is a route which people will choose and companies will offer. I am really sorry about this, but i just feel it is the best thing for the dogs overall. i know that it is going to cost owners more if they do this route, but we have to do what we think is right even though it may cost us business to our competitors.

This post sounds like i am being an arrogant t**t, but just put yourself in my position - i am the one who has to call owners if their dogs dont make the journey. Sorry again

Bob

Dear Last 2 posters.

Bob

Bob personally I think your being very honest and caring and not arrogant at all you obviously care about your precious cargo over profits -well done !

Dear Frenchie

Frankly, i dont know what to do with these pets. The Air Canada route has been very good for snubs recently. There are extra risks with them, and the key thing is to do all we can to keep the risks as low as possible. IMHO the Air Canada is the better route. Confidence about which is better for your dog - again i dont really know. Some dogs will prefer being on a direct flight, some will prefer stopping off. The thought of transiting these dogs in Dubai terrifies me, but i can see that people will think this is the better route.

Maybe this is worth a chat rather than back and forwards on the emails.

Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest westwoodc
Dear Frenchie

Frankly, i dont know what to do with these pets. The Air Canada route has been very good for snubs recently. There are extra risks with them, and the key thing is to do all we can to keep the risks as low as possible. IMHO the Air Canada is the better route. Confidence about which is better for your dog - again i dont really know. Some dogs will prefer being on a direct flight, some will prefer stopping off. The thought of transiting these dogs in Dubai terrifies me, but i can see that people will think this is the better route.

Maybe this is worth a chat rather than back and forwards on the emails.

Bob

Hi Bob, are you saying that there is a flight direct from the UK to Perth for the dogs, but Petair dont use it based on your thoughts on risk? Ive got 2 dogs, one of which is a bulldog and want to bring them to us in Perth. I will be completely honest, I got a price off your company some months ago but it came in around £7300 GBP which is a massive amount and with the best will in the world and the love we have for them, it takes some coming up with. Naturally I want to make sure they are as safe as they can be as they mean the world to us but we still have to balance the books. Thanks

Dear Westwoodc

I completely get what you are saying and we always try to help people keep the costs down, but the costs involved in flying pets is huge.

There is no route for Bulldogs to Perth, though there now is a route for bulldogs to fly to Sydney with Qantas. We are not offering that route as we dont think the transit in Dubai is great. This is not based on any fact at all, just our personal opionions - i do have to say that.

It may be worth getting a new quote using Qantas to Sydney and then an internal flight to Perth after the quarantine. That will save you heaps of money. It is just not something that we can help with, we just cant face the sleepless nights worrying abut these transitting through Dubai.

Look - if it is a case of the dogs being rehomed or transitting through Dubai then go for the Dubai transit. It will deffo save you quite a bit of money.

Hope that helps

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Westwood c

​Firstly, Perth is unlikely to ever re-open, so your dogs would have to go to Sydney. Also the only airlines who would fly snub nosed dogs are Air Canada and they only fly to Sydney anyway.

​First this is to get the rabies vaccination done 6-12 months before their flight and then the rabies blood sample 5-12 months before the flight, so that is the first stage and often more urgent than you think.

Once you have done those then give us a shout for a quote and plan and we (or any other UK pet shipper) can help you lots.

Hope that helps and if there is anything else then it may be worth giving us a call.

Thanks

​Bob

WOW,

Didn't realise you had to get started so far ahead of going??

Just started our visa applications and thought we had a few months before working on the dogs. I have spoken to guys at PetAir at a couple of shows we've been to and they seem to be the most professional by far.

Will be giving you a call tomorrow.......have 2 of the problem Bullies to ship.......

Dear Westwoodc

I completely get what you are saying and we always try to help people keep the costs down, but the costs involved in flying pets is huge.

There is no route for Bulldogs to Perth, though there now is a route for bulldogs to fly to Sydney with Qantas. We are not offering that route as we dont think the transit in Dubai is great. This is not based on any fact at all, just our personal opionions - i do have to say that.

It may be worth getting a new quote using Qantas to Sydney and then an internal flight to Perth after the quarantine. That will save you heaps of money. It is just not something that we can help with, we just cant face the sleepless nights worrying abut these transitting through Dubai.

Look - if it is a case of the dogs being rehomed or transitting through Dubai then go for the Dubai transit. It will deffo save you quite a bit of money.

Hope that helps

Bob

Bob can you help please,

Just had an email saying you no longer ship Bulldogs....is this correct?

Hey Lisa

Hold your horses for a tick and please do not worry. We are in a bit of a pickle about bulldogs and there are a few reasons. QANTAS have just accepted snub nosed dogs to fly via Dubai to Sydney. I think this route is not a good one as problems happen at a transit point and Dubai is generally hot! Air Canada fly them via Vancouver, get the bulldogs out and it is a much cooler place to stop - much better on animal welfare in total. However the QANTAS route is much cheaper for the clients. So in the past we offered the Air Canada route and price and then we got abused for being so much more expensive than our competitors, so we made the decision just not to provide quotes for bullies and now this has ended up worrying you also. So it seems that every way we turn we end up "in trouble".

At the end of the day, we just want the pets to be as safe as possible, that is our overriding concern and then we also have to remember that we need to help people and that pet shipping is already bloody expensive.

Please do feel very free to call me personally as i really do want to help you, but we as a company really do NOT want to fly these pets through Dubai.

we will email you over a quote with air Canada via Vancouver, but please do bear in mind that there is another much cheaper option

We are trying to do the right thing by everyone, I promise you

Bob

• 7 months later...

Hi Lisamahey, how did you get on importing your dogs?? Did you take the Canada route? I'm curious as currently looking into the process for my own Frenchie......beside myself with worry as to decide on the best option - should he stay or should he go? I'm in Sydney already and he is being looked after by a friend but I miss him so much. Would appreciate any advice.