What salary for a decent standard of living in brisbane?

stantk

You could buy a house for not much more than that here!

No, the OP is looking for a 4 bed rental with pool, and have money to run 2 cars, holidays, etc...was $170K enough...absolutely!

Depends on your lifestyle though...my wife seems to run with a budget of spending 110% of our income. The more commission I earn and the higher her wages go (she got a promotion last year) and her overtime, the more she wants to spend. We could live on an awful lot less...

170k nearly enough to buy a hse! ,mmmmmmm,anyway....

No,i realized what you meant in the end(had a smoke!)George

It sounds like a huge amount of money, and you'll certainly be comfortable, but you won't live as a rich person if you see what I mean..... Things are outrageously expensive here, and if you're used to going on lots of holidays (as I used to do in the UK), brace yourself for a shock! Expect to pay $750-$1000+ per week for a nice rental with pool if you want to be somewhere that you can commute easily in Brisbane. If you're happy to spend an hour in traffic, you could get something pretty good for $650. There are often some great cheap rentals advertised on realestate which can be misleading, these are usually areas that are pleasant enough but with little public transport (e.g Daisy Hill). Try suburbs like Bulimba on realestate if you want to understand the true cost of renting somewhere nice & central. There are great public schools and poor ones like the UK. People send their kids to private schools for connections - which are everything in Brisbane if you want a decent job. My kids refused to consider private as private schools are mostly single sex/and or religiously affiliated. If you're a catholic (or happy to adhere to catholic standards) you're spoilt for choice and unlike UK there seems no pressure to actually be catholic to attend - they'll take anyone's money. My youngest child goes to a public school (Queensland Academy) which consistently outperforms schools in the private sector, but it is highly selective.

Totally agree with you Chortlepuss - sounds like you have had a similar experience to us. The old school tie is very much at play in Brisbane which was a shock to me as I mistakenly thought that Australia would be more of a meritocracy....

The tradies who send their kids to private schools are just perpetuating the idea that state schools are inferior.

Perpetuating that idea in your head perhaps. I for one do not think that academically the stte schools are inferiore, in fact, many state schools outperform (academically) some in the private sector.

The consensus amongst those people I know who have their kids in private schools, is that they do so because 1. They think their kids will focus better in a same sex school. 2. They think that generally, the pastoral care is far better than public and that the teachers are "on your case" the moment a kid starts to "slide" 3. Bullying and other misbehaviours are generally stamped on the moment they rear their ugly head and 4. that there appears to be more "social awareness" taught in the private sector, particularly in Catholic education. In many catholic schools, year 10's and above are "buddied' to year 8's and it is their role to guide and "protect" their buddy through their years of their schooling. By the time the "mentor" leaves school, their buddy is then in a position to take over the role of mentor for another year 8. In the case of one of my son's school, (and other schools that i know of) from year 11, they voluntarily regularly go and work (at night) in soup kitchens and homeless shelters, which gives them a better understanding, and hopefully, empathy for those less fortunate than themselves....................I would suggest that you avail yourself more of other people's motives and the Australian education system, before you categorise those who make sacrifices to better (roundly) educate their children, as snobs.

Edited by Johndoe

If the money wasted by the state on subsidising private schools were directed instead to state schools, perhaps state schools could provide better facilities etc for the children educated in state schools. If you care so much about the homeless, why not send your child to a state school and give the money you save to homeless charities? By the way, the firm I work for runs legal clinics for homeless people, regularly fundraise for charities that help homeless youth and we go into deprived state schools and help children there to improve their reading skills. We also mentor them so that they can aspire to achieve. State schools also raise funds for those less fortunate so you can hardly cite that as a distinguishing factor for private schools. Alot of state schools also have buddying systems in place. Never had a problem with bullying not being addressed in our state school - they take it very seriously. Anyway, wasn't it a catholic private school that had a fatal stabbing due to bullying? There was also a stabbing at Terrace around the same time...

Guest GeorgeD

Folks, great debate about private schooling here...possibly worthy of it's own thread.

Can we please stick to the OP's question about the standard of living they can expect ont eh salary they are going to be earning?

Anyway, wasn't it a catholic private school that had a fatal stabbing due to bullying? There was also a stabbing at Terrace around the same time...

I'm not prepared to debate this with you further as the above is too close to home. The poor lad (perpetrator) was mentally disturbed, and it had nothing at all to do with bullying................just one example of where "supressing the facts" can cause further damage to all concerned.

Folks, great debate about private schooling here...possibly worthy of it's own thread.

Can we please stick to the OP's question about the standard of living they can expect ont eh salary they are going to be earning?

Sorry! Can't resist a good ruck! Don't get me started on private health queue jumping! I just can't stand inequality of opportunity....

Guest GeorgeD
170k nearly enough to buy a hse! ,mmmmmmm,anyway....

No,i realized what you meant in the end(had a smoke!)George

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-qld-slacks+creek-112855815

2 bed townhouse near Ikea on the outskirts of Brisbane... $189,950.

Not the most desireable suburb to live in...but my wife lived there for 3 years, and it really wasn't bad compared to where she had lived in the UK!

I'm not prepared to debate this with you further as the above is too close to home. The poor lad (perpetrator) was mentally disturbed, and it had nothing at all to do with bullying................just one example of where "supressing the facts" can cause further damage to all concerned.

Sorry to hear that this is close to home. I have been keeping an eye on this case to see what comes of it as it is terribly sad for all involved. We can do our best to protect our kids but sometimes it is not enough.

Hi Rupert

Combined in the Uk we earn approx £95,000. I was hoping that the $170,000 would be about the same income for Brisbane. I do intend to find work but with 2 children and no support in Oz I'm not sure how realistic that is..........

Also in the UK that covers private medical and life assurance which in Oz we will have to pay for.

Decisions decisions .........

Karin

• 4 months later...
you should be able to manage. I support a family of 4 on $70k pa, renting a 4 bedroom house in Melbourne, although it has no pool.

Hi Rikyuu,

I am planning to move to Melbourne by this year end. Can you please help understand what would be ideal income for decent living in Melbourne. Is 50K annual package is enough for small family, 3 dependents (1 kid, wife, mom) ?

My lifestyle is not very luxurious, please help.

Regards

Akshay

Hi,

I am planning to move to Melbourne by this year end. Can you please help understand what would be ideal income for decent living in Melbourne. Is 50K annual package is enough for small family, 3 dependents (1 kid, wife, mom) ?

My lifestyle is not very luxurious, please help.

Regards

Akshay

Guest jak2503

we started out on 60k a year, rented and bought cars ect, managed ok to be fair, have now got combined income of 170000 and to be honest its bloody easy to manage, bought a bit of land and now building, still save 500 a week, point im getting at is its all about how you live, if you eat out 3 nights a week and feel the need to have a bmw 4x4 or audi tt then your gunna struggle, ive personaly found Australia to be cheep and easy to get on with, sure the food costs more and houses are dearer second hand cars still cost a bit but for us its all about the lifestyle, days out cost nout and weve never run out of things to do yet (4 years) , once a month we have a nice feed somewhere and the wifey buys discount vouchers for theme parks ect, im still not to embarest to take a pack up to work for lunch, laugh my balls of when you see people paying 20 bucks for a sanger and drink, but anyway like I said its all about how you do it.

we started out on 60k a year, rented and bought cars ect, managed ok to be fair, have now got combined income of 170000 and to be honest its bloody easy to manage, bought a bit of land and now building, still save 500 a week, point im getting at is its all about how you live, if you eat out 3 nights a week and feel the need to have a bmw 4x4 or audi tt then your gunna struggle, ive personaly found Australia to be cheep and easy to get on with, sure the food costs more and houses are dearer second hand cars still cost a bit but for us its all about the lifestyle, days out cost nout and weve never run out of things to do yet (4 years) , once a month we have a nice feed somewhere and the wifey buys discount vouchers for theme parks ect, im still not to embarest to take a pack up to work for lunch, laugh my balls of when you see people paying 20 bucks for a sanger and drink, but anyway like I said its all about how you do it.

Hi Jak,

Thanks for reply. You are very right about finance management. I think I can do it, got fair idea from you. Thanks again.

Regards

Akshay

Can never understand the people who complain about government finance for private schools. Every person who sends children to a private school pays as much, if not more, tax than those who send children to public schools. It's only fair, is it not, that they get a share of the education pot? Just to show I am not biased in favour of private education, my four sons were all educated in the public system.

Can never understand the people who complain about government finance for private schools. Every person who sends children to a private school pays as much, if not more, tax than those who send children to public schools. It's only fair, is it not, that they get a share of the education pot? Just to show I am not biased in favour of private education, my four sons were all educated in the public system.

Neither can I. Those who harp on about private ed being "subsidised". It's susidised to the tune of what it would cost if the child was educated in the public sector, so no real "hand out" there.

Me and my gf make 160k between us and can pay back double the mortgage repayments on a $350k loan. Still have lots of money to eat out and do other stuff...

I think we could live on half of this between us quite easily. Never really need to pay for entertainment, lots of walks, cycling, running. Drive to the coast etc

The point is a compatible lifestyle. I did comparible maths. I know our outgoings I the UK coz I recorded them over a few years rather anally I have to admit. But it allowed me to compare. We live in a small town 12 miles north of Manchester and to live the same life in Adelaide we would need roughly 2-2.5 more dollars than pounds.

So for the op at £95k that would be at least $190k.

Just saying Exchange rate isn't a good guide to compare standard of living.

We all k ow people who seem to struggle on comparatively high wages but think what £95k is in UK especially outside of London.

Hi

i have read many threads about what you need to earn in Oz to have a good standard of living. The cost of living seems to be very high!!

We have 2 boys, want to rent 4 bedroom house with pool (what's the point of not having that if living in Oz), run 2 cars, have holidays etc

Will $170000 be enough? From the UK it seems a lot but I have been warned by friends that we may not have much spare after bills?

thanks Karin

Karin

It does appear (when sitting in UK) but in reality as a professional it will be consumed very quickly with costs of living.

Australia is higher with smaller population to spread costs over.

www.realestate.com.au useful for assessing rentals and getting an idea of suburbs in your city / state / post code

www.carsales.com.au help look at the cost of motor vehicles - but also have a look at various insurance companies and account for close to $1k per year for registration (ok it might be around $700 this year but to be safe round up)

Have a look at food prices etc. at places like Coles or Woolworths (not a purchase recommendation just indication/research of prices)

Don't discount the fact you will send your kids to private until you are comfortable with the state system.

Decent rental $3k to $5k per month ($36k to $60k)

Cars ($2k each per month) $48k (ok you might purchase but gives idea of how quickly your $170 k could whittle away

Food $300 to $500 ? depends on personal situation - my company provides free groceries:biggrin: to $500

Healthcare/medical insurance?

Holidays (flights accommodation not as cheap as flying across to Europe)

$190k sounds ridiculous, but it is quite shocking how expensive things are, particularly if you want to rent an exec home near to the city. Beach suburbs are great but the commute can be dreadful. You should be very comfy on that salary - as others have said it's an awful lot more than most get. It won't buy you an exec lifestyle though.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gtsaust

$170,000 is a great income. The cost of living is high but the quality of living is equal to that.

You would be able to finance a home, 2 cars, a family and a yearly holiday on that. Provided you we're smart with your money.

If you need any help please contact me. Tax Agent Brisbane