Subclass 309 Temporary Partner Visa to Subclass 100 Permenant Partner Visa

Netbg

I was granted the subclass 309 visa at the beginning of february. I am now living in Brisbane.

My partner and I have been together nearly 4 years and we were a few weeks shorts of meeting the 3 year permenant "defacto status" when applying for the visa initially. Hence why they only granted us the subclass 309 (temporary).

However, we have now been in a defacto relationship for almost 3.5 years, which (I think) means I am eligible for the subclass 100 visa.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct?

How do I get the ball rolling on applying for the permenant 100 visa?

I am anxious to get the permenant visa ASAP as I am currently having to pay international fees at university (4 times the domestic/Australian fees!!!).

I was granted the subclass 309 visa at the beginning of february. I am now living in Brisbane.

My partner and I have been together nearly 4 years and we were a few weeks shorts of meeting the 3 year permenant "defacto status" when applying for the visa initially. Hence why they only granted us the subclass 309 (temporary).

However, we have now been in a defacto relationship for almost 3.5 years, which (I think) means I am eligible for the subclass 100 visa.

Can anyone tell me if I am correct?

How do I get the ball rolling on applying for the permenant 100 visa?

I am anxious to get the permenant visa ASAP as I am currently having to pay international fees at university (4 times the domestic/Australian fees!!!).

The only way to get a 100 visa without waiting two years on from the 309, is to pay the fee again and re-apply from scratch.

Guest GeorgeD

You need to wait 2 years from your original application to be reassessed for the SC 100 visa. DIAC don't reassess you when you hit 3 years together, they reassess all 309 holders 2 years from original application. My second stage was meant to take 10 months but took only 4.5 from submission of docs.

You could apply all over again for an Onshore PR spouse visa. You would need to pay the full fee I would imaginen probably need new police and medical checks, etc, do the whole form stuff all over again...and onshore aplications are currently taking around 12 months. That's probably only a few months quicker than waiting for the 2nd stage processing to come around and a significant amount of cash and hasssle more. Remember 2nd stage starts 2 years from when you applied, not when you were granted your visa...it's the application date that's important.

There's no quick way I'm afraid.

I didn't think 309 visa holders paid international fees. Are you 100% sure?

Guest GeorgeD
So I have to wait the two years??

Yes, or apply for a new Spouse Visa all over again Onshore. Pay all the fees again, do all the forms and have it granted marginally quicker. Assuming you don't fail the medical or don't have enough evidence of your recent relationship, etc.

You need to wait 2 years from your original application to be reassessed for the SC 100 visa. DIAC don't reassess you when you hit 3 years together, they reassess all 309 holders 2 years from original application. My second stage was meant to take 10 months but took only 4.5 from submission of docs.

You could apply all over again for an Onshore PR spouse visa. You would need to pay the full fee I would imaginen probably need new police and medical checks, etc, do the whole form stuff all over again...and onshore aplications are currently taking around 12 months. That's probably only a few months quicker than waiting for the 2nd stage processing to come around and a significant amount of cash and hasssle more. Remember 2nd stage starts 2 years from when you applied, not when you were granted your visa...it's the application date that's important.

There's no quick way I'm afraid.

I didn't think 309 visa holders paid international fees. Are you 100% sure?

I go to Griffith University - I went to student admin to ask and they said that i cannot convert because I am on a temporary partner visa. It's not classed as permenant residency.

What made you think I could pay domestic fees? Its the difference of $20,000 and $5,000!!!!! So frustrating!!

Guest GeorgeD
I go to Griffith University - I went to student admin to ask and they said that i cannot convert because I am on a temporary partner visa. It's not classed as permenant residency.

What made you think I could pay domestic fees? Its the difference of $20,000 and $5,000!!!!! So frustrating!!

I have no experience of it myself, I didn't undertake any study during my 309. I always assumed that you got pretty much the same as PR but didn't get any benefits...you are reassesed at year 2. Again, I may well be totally wrong in that assumption, I was just asking if you were sure!

As for getting DIAC to speed up your 100 processing, I'm an awful lot more certain about that...two years from original application is when you apply (DIAC contact you around 20-22 months from date of application) and it takes 1-10 months from then. Some people get it almost imemdiately, and then randomly others take 10 months. there is no way to speed it up and no magic about being lucky. It may well depend on which state you were in. I'm in Brisbane and all the QLD people I know who applied around my time have taken around 4 months from point of submission.

I have no experience of it myself, I didn't undertake any study during my 309. I always assumed that you got pretty much the same as PR but didn't get any benefits...you are reassesed at year 2. Again, I may well be totally wrong in that assumption, I was just asking if you were sure!

As for getting DIAC to speed up your 100 processing, I'm an awful lot more certain about that...two years from original application is when you apply (DIAC contact you around 20-22 months from date of application) and it takes 1-10 months from then. Some people get it almost imemdiately, and then randomly others take 10 months. there is no way to speed it up and no magic about being lucky. It may well depend on which state you were in. I'm in Brisbane and all the QLD people I know who applied around my time have taken around 4 months from point of submission.

Ok, thanks for the help.

I guess I'll just have to wait.

My course is only 1 year anyway - so hopefully I'll earn enough next year to pay back/resave the $20,000!!

I'm in Brisbane too so hopefully mine goes through quite quickly!!

• 3 years later...

Hi :) I was granted the subclass 309/100 Temporary Partner Visa at the beginning of May 2015.I'll to apply for Permanent Resident this year.Does enybody know that have to we pay for this visa and how much cost application?We are living in NSW.Thank you:)

There are no additional payments needed for the 100 visa. It's a combined visa - 309/100 - so the second part has no extra cost - which is good given how expensive it was the first time around! Usually you are invited to apply for the 100 visa, around 22 months after you were granted the 309 visa.

There is a similar discussion on this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/244546-stage-2-partner-visa-defacto.html

There are no additional payments needed for the 100 visa. It's a combined visa - 309/100 - so the second part has no extra cost - which is good given how expensive it was the first time around! Usually you are invited to apply for the 100 visa, around 22 months after you were granted the 309 visa.

There is a similar discussion on this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/244546-stage-2-partner-visa-defacto.html

It's good news :) Thank you for that vickyplum.Could you tell me please that what's all need to inclose of documents and proofs?