Those who have moved back to UK...What do you miss about Australia???

mygirlies

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have lived in Oz (Cairns) for 7 years. Started in Adelaide for 6 months prior to that. Love it here.

If i went back to U.K the things i love and would miss are….

My FIFO job with BHP Billiton I live east but fly to work (West in Pilbara) every two weeks. On 186,000 Salary package. NEVER in i million miles will i get anywhere near that in U.K

Would miss my house 15min walk from Kewarra Beach (where i live in Cairns)

Would miss my swimming pool at the back (nothing beats lazing in pool at night in warm water, in warm weather in a tropical saltwater pool…)

Miss the fact its easy to drive to the various beaches and find somewhere to park quickly and mostly no charge for parking. So stress free…

Would miss the diversity of the whole of Australia.

Would miss the weather. Loads of guaranteed sunshine. Love the rain here in tropics in wet season :-)

Would miss Aussie friends/humour. They are generally far more friendly and much less flakey than the Brits.

Would miss fact i feel more at home here than i did in few years prior to leaving U.K (meaning; i got sick n tired of feeling like a foreigner in my own country)

Would miss the crystal waters, the rain forests, the reef, the red dirt (Pilbara) the free BBQ's that are by beaches, parks etc, ease of getting around (except Sydney….. which is Aussie London) great restaurants, cafes, shops, markets, Oz humour, a culture of diverse people and cultures but unlike U.K it actually works here.

I have been back to U.K once for a months (last year) for 1st time in almost 8 years since migrating to Oz. I loved it more than i thought i would but…. as much as i found it emotional leaving to come home (back to Cairns) as soon as i landed on Aussie soil i actually felt inside a strong sense of calm, of reurning home, of a sense of where my home truly is. :-)

England was once a place i was born, was a big part of my life, but Australia is my home now. England is where i used to live and now visit. I am popping back very soon for a quick two week stint and looking forward to it. But i am just visiting……. :-)

I'd miss everything in Oz from the open air pools and the balmy weather, to being able to drive places and not get totally stressed with traffic and parking.

For me England is a place that used to be a great place to live but has now lost it's charm. I find serenity her now when I visit the uncrowded beaches and the spacious and family friendly parks. I enjoy a nice house to live in that doesn't require constant maintenance and even watching television with the family is more enjoyable cause we can put them in another room if they get annoying lol.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have lived in Oz (Cairns) for 7 years. Started in Adelaide for 6 months prior to that. Love it here.

If i went back to U.K the things i love and would miss are….

My FIFO job with BHP Billiton I live east but fly to work (West in Pilbara) every two weeks. On 186,000 Salary package. NEVER in i million miles will i get anywhere near that in U.K

Would miss my house 15min walk from Kewarra Beach (where i live in Cairns)

Would miss my swimming pool at the back (nothing beats lazing in pool at night in warm water, in warm weather in a tropical saltwater pool…)

Miss the fact its easy to drive to the various beaches and find somewhere to park quickly and mostly no charge for parking. So stress free…

Would miss the diversity of the whole of Australia.

Would miss the weather. Loads of guaranteed sunshine. Love the rain here in tropics in wet season :-)

Would miss Aussie friends/humour. They are generally far more friendly and much less flakey than the Brits.

Would miss fact i feel more at home here than i did in few years prior to leaving U.K (meaning; i got sick n tired of feeling like a foreigner in my own country)

Would miss the crystal waters, the rain forests, the reef, the red dirt (Pilbara) the free BBQ's that are by beaches, parks etc, ease of getting around (except Sydney….. which is Aussie London) great restaurants, cafes, shops, markets, Oz humour, a culture of diverse people and cultures but unlike U.K it actually works here.

I have been back to U.K once for a months (last year) for 1st time in almost 8 years since migrating to Oz. I loved it more than i thought i would but…. as much as i found it emotional leaving to come home (back to Cairns) as soon as i landed on Aussie soil i actually felt inside a strong sense of calm, of reurning home, of a sense of where my home truly is. :-)

England was once a place i was born, was a big part of my life, but Australia is my home now. England is where i used to live and now visit. I am popping back very soon for a quick two week stint and looking forward to it. But i am just visiting……. :-)

Great to hear your enjoying OZ Chels, I on the other hand can't wait to leave the "Red Dirt" behind an never have to deal with BHP Procedures again! haha

We moved back to the Uk last October.And what we miss about Australia is everything it stands for,i didn't used to believe it,but Australia does stand for a fair go,for it's citizens and the country.Britain's Politicians has no time for it's citizens or the Country,here you are a number,part of the EU,Britain has lost it's soveriegnty.The System is corupt from top to bottom.In Australia,there is no class structure.It's rife in the UK.My bank manager at the Commenwealth BanK where i used to go at Gatton Queensland,had his door open,anytime you needed to see him,on a first name basis.Here bank managers,think they are gods,As do anyone in authority,doctors in Australia,have a friendly caring attitude,again always on a first name basis.Not what i have met in the UK.Britain is tied up in a knot, with so many rules and regulations,It's obsessed with money laundering,the security questions you have to go through,just to change your address,is pathetic.My friends keep telling me,i'll get used to the system,it will take time.It is so easy living in Australia.It realy is the lucky country.My fault i put my hands up.I lived in Australia too long,27 years.To Come back to the UK is like another planet.Only the beautiful countryside, has so far not been destroyed by British Politicians.The enemy within.The Tories got Britain into the EU,and they will never get us out.+Labour wants to stay in.The EU is a catistrophic disaster.Since the Tories took office they have lost control of how many EU migrants they have let in since taking office in 2010 + they have trippled Britains debt.to £1.6 trillion..In 2013 they admitted They issued 618,000 new NI numbers for that year alone, the Tories say Britains recovery is the best in the world.And we need immigrants.The Tories are totaly incompetent.

Australia is another world from when you arrived twenty seven years ago as well. Of course there is a class structure in Australia, just differing from UK. I would argue becoming ever more entrenched as well. I do agree those with the massive money that can be earned by tradesmen, certainly allows them a higher end middle class lifestyle.

Hardly applicable to middle management and run of the mill workers though.

Corruption is far from unheard off here as well. Perhaps better covered without the tenacious investigative media and dirt raking tabloids of UK though. A better trade off in part. I am not on first names terms with my doctor although was when living in the country. Actually find them as everywhere. Ten minutes and next patient.

Same with banks. Had a good relationship with the former manager a Chinese/Malaysian, but his younger replacement very ordinary. So much so that I removed my rather substantial business from that bank to another just last week.

I can't say how UK is but although very much enjoyed an extended stay there in 2010, did come away with a feeling I'd never likely live permanently there again. The world has changed, as it does but rather rapidly during the past decade.

As for EU love it. I wouldn't have got to live and work and speak other languages if not for Britain's membership. To have the knowledge of so many countries on tap to move to at a later stage is all but mind boggling. The world is certainly a smaller place.

Perhaps I should return to Cairns? Not much in the way of work, but it does feel different.I must say if earning $180,000 a year, the burden of place would likely be removed somewhat. Although money is far from everything it has sadly become of far greater relevance in modern times. Interesting how some folk find those here less flaky than UK. I'd have thought slightly more so here but neither great in those stakes.

I'd keep a stake in Australia so would be able to return at will. Besides the ease of location of where I now live, (walk/cycle to city, train to beach) I'm not sure I'd miss much.

I hear so often about all the things we Brits miss about the UK and of course I miss all those things too.

But I would be really interested to hear from those who have moved back to the UK (for whatever reason)

What do you miss about living in Australia??

Or what WOULD you miss about Australia if you were to return to the mother land??

Thank you :)

I have been back home for 8 months now and I must say being back home after being away so long has made love my home land so much more and so proud of this very beautiful country .The only thing I miss about Australia is the day after day of blue sky ,but in saying that when the sun shines here it is an awesome place to be .

I'd miss everything in Oz from the open air pools and the balmy weather, to being able to drive places and not get totally stressed with traffic and parking.

For me England is a place that used to be a great place to live but has now lost it's charm. I find serenity her now when I visit the uncrowded beaches and the spacious and family friendly parks. I enjoy a nice house to live in that doesn't require constant maintenance and even watching television with the family is more enjoyable cause we can put them in another room if they get annoying lol.

Did you wife and family move back to australia with you, I thought they were still in Uk?

I miss sooo much about Australia,it hurts! My hubby is the most patient man in the world as towards the end of our 7 years in oz,I spent the last year and a half being seriously homesick...I cried everyday to come back to the uk as I missed my family so much, we have 3 children under 5 and well,I was very rose tinted about it. We moved back to devon,from Sydney, and I miss:

1. The weather- I took for granted how much of an influence it has on our quality of life. Apart from sweaty indoor play centers we spent days and days indoors over winter( we also had a premmie baby who after intensive care was advised not to go out for weeks as it was so cold, which after an outdoor life,was a test

2. The stunning natural beauty of oz- devon in the uk has many beautiful places but we just prefer oz

3. The respect that Aussies have for their environment. We lived in manly, Sydney and there just seemed to be more of an idea about respecting the place you live. We have been disgusted by the way that many people back in the uk treat their environment( I'm aware it's not everyone....)

4.the outdoor/ fitness/ healthy lifestyle in manly. Plymouth in devon....well,what can I say

5. When renting in oz you don't have to pay water rates/ council tax....makes a big difference

6. The wages to spending ratio we had in oz- I thought Sydney was an expensive place to live,but we have been shirked by how tight it is financially in the uk

7. The positivity of folk in oz

I could go on and on. It's been amazing to hAve so much more time with our treasured families, I've been eternally grateful to a wonderful uk health system who saved my babies life and my son going to an unbelievable creative arts school....apart from that,I'd go back to oz tomorrow x