register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

andyglendenning

Visa eligibility confusion- teaching

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that with the wealth of experience and knowledge of all the members on this forum, I might be able to clear up some of my confusion.

My partner and I attended the Down Under Live expo in Glasgow recently in the hopes that it would answer all of our questions. Although it did provide us with a lot of information, it through up a lot more questions which I couldn't get answered.

A little about me; I am 34 and currently studying on a PGCE course in secondary education in Design Technology and will qualify in June. Previous to this I studied a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course at uni for a year in D&T due to my 3 year Bachelors degree being in History, so needed to gain the relevant experience in D&T before teaching it. I spent nearly 2 years in Oz on a WHV back in 2006.

Some of the questions that I hoped to have answers for are;

1) if granted a PR visa (such as 190 or 489), can I work in any other type of employment whilst looking for teaching positions (due to the lack of teaching positions from what I hear). If so are there any time restrictions?

2) Who decides if the type of PGCE that I am studying is accepted? Also, will there be any issues of my degree being in a different subject to my PGCE? (by the end of the course I will have spent 5 years at uni)

3) Am I required to do the academic IELTS due to going into teaching? If so anyone have any experience with them? Obviously I hope to get 8's across the board for the extra points!

4) Is it possible to register with multiply teaching agencies in more than one state at a time (to have the option to teach in any state where I can find work)

5) Finally (for now!), what is the situation with NQT and teaching in OZ? is it required? Do I need teaching experience in the UK before I can submit the EOI?

sorry for the long message and thanks in advance!

Andy

Have you tried both Googling those questions and searching the DIAC site? Migration throws up so many of the same problems that it's likely that other people have already experienced them.

PS, I hate to be critical, but for a teacher, I am surprised at you writing 'through up' rather than 'threw up!' Seriously, you don't want to be making these sort of errors on any written submissions and applications

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I have been looking through Google for some time but don't seem to get consistant answers. I was hoping that people who may have had similar experiences could share them with me.

Thanks for the feedback regarding my mistake! I would rather people were critical as I may not have noticed my error. I wouldn't care, I have just passed the teaching skills tests as well!

Thanks again,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I have been looking through Google for some time but don't seem to get consistant answers. I was hoping that people who may have had similar experiences could share them with me.

Thanks for the feedback regarding my mistake! I would rather people were critical as I may not have noticed my error. I wouldn't care, I have just passed the teaching skills tests as well!

Thanks again,

Hi Andy

I actually feel very sorry that a member on here decided to pull you up for your post. On forums such as this we should be able to be a bit more relaxed.I often find with typing that I have to check and edit, as my ( slow) typing skills don't always match my brain power..... I actually think Mary Rose was rather rude to you.

Google cannot answer everything and it is very useful to be able to ask on a more personal level on a forum such as this.I can answer a couple of questions for you.

Whilst in theory you could register with agencies in many different parts of Oz, the reality is that you would also need to register with each and every single teaching registration board in each state. This would prove to be extremely expensive, as they will assess your qualifications each time as an overseas qualified teacher.This takes time and money.I would contact a few of the registration boards to find out if your qualification meets requirements.

Secondly, there is actually a need for Design and Technology teachers in Western Australia. It is one of those areas that has seen a huge expansion in high schools.

It should not make any difference that your first degree is in another subject, however, just be very aware that some states are more stringent than others and may require you to do a few more units in that subject.It would really depend on how much your PGCE covered.It is also likely that with the extra year you have spent studying that area that you have fulfilled that requirement.The PGCE also has to be university based.

In Western Australia ( where I teach), a two year Design and Technology teaching qualification is offered that enables graduates ( who already hold ANY degree) to study and become qualified as design and technology teachers within a two year time frame.

Good luck. There are a few of us on here who are teachers and who can answer your questions without insults.

1) if granted a PR visa (such as 190 or 489), can I work in any other type of employment whilst looking for teaching positions (due to the lack of teaching positions from what I hear). If so are there any time restrictions?
489 is not a PR visa it is a Provisional Visa, which you need to live and work in Regional Australia, ( after meeting the requirements for 887, you can apply for PR). If granted either you can work in any type of employment.

2) Who decides if the type of PGCE that I am studying is accepted? Also, will there be any issues of my degree being in a different subject to my PGCE? (by the end of the course I will have spent 5 years at uni)
AITSL will assess your skills, no there will not be issues for your degree being in a different subject, they need 4 years of University education and a certain number of supervised teaching hours, check if you meet the requirements on the AITSL site.

3) Am I required to do the academic IELTS due to going into teaching? If so anyone have any experience with them? Obviously I hope to get 8's across the board for the extra points!

"(ii) An applicant has completed study assessed by AITSL as comparable to at least four years of full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) study, that results in a qualification/s comparable to the education level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher, (must include a recognised initial teacher education qualification) undertaken in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America." http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration/questions-and-answers.html#Q12
4) Is it possible to register with multiply teaching agencies in more than one state at a time (to have the option to teach in any state where I can find work)

You would need to ask each state.
5) Finally (for now!), what is the situation with NQT and teaching in OZ? is it required? Do I need teaching experience in the UK before I can submit the EOI?

No Idea, but it maybe easier to find a job in Australia if you have some teaching experience.

Thanks for your reply, I really do appreciate any feedback people are willing to give.

It would really depend on how much your PGCE covered.It is also likely that with the extra year you have spent studying that area that you have fulfilled that requirement.The PGCE also has to be university based.

With regards the PGCE having to be uni based, do you mean that I must spend the whole of the PGCE year in university based lectures? My course is both uni lectures and placements in 2 schools. I spend 2 days a week in uni and 3 in schools for the first 8 weeks of each semester, then full time in the placement school teaching 14 hours per week.

In Western Australia ( where I teach), a two year Design and Technology teaching qualification is offered that enables graduates ( who already hold ANY degree) to study and become qualified as design and technology teachers within a two year time frame.

I wondered why secondary teaching isn't on the WA SOL list as I thought due to the current boom, especially in the mining industry and generally, that more teachers would have been needed, esp. D&T!

Hi Andy

I actually feel very sorry that a member on here decided to pull you up for your post. On forums such as this we should be able to be a bit more relaxed.I often find with typing that I have to check and edit, as my ( slow) typing skills don't always match my brain power..... I actually think Mary Rose was rather rude to you.

Google cannot answer everything and it is very useful to be able to ask on a more personal level on a forum such as this.I can answer a couple of questions for you.

Whilst in theory you could register with agencies in many different parts of Oz, the reality is that you would also need to register with each and every single teaching registration board in each state. This would prove to be extremely expensive, as they will assess your qualifications each time as an overseas qualified teacher.This takes time and money.I would contact a few of the registration boards to find out if your qualification meets requirements.

Secondly, there is actually a need for Design and Technology teachers in Western Australia. It is one of those areas that has seen a huge expansion in high schools.

It should not make any difference that your first degree is in another subject, however, just be very aware that some states are more stringent than others and may require you to do a few more units in that subject.It would really depend on how much your PGCE covered.It is also likely that with the extra year you have spent studying that area that you have fulfilled that requirement.The PGCE also has to be university based.

Good luck. There are a few of us on here who are teachers and who can answer your questions without insults.

Why is it an 'insult' to comment on another posters bad grammar? If he typed that on his application to migrate, or on a CV, do you think the person reading the document would be impressesd?

i suppose it is indicative of lower standards in education that teachers no longer care whether their students make grammatical errors. You are probably attacking their human rights if you do give them black marks for such errors?

I notice that you do not bother with a space after a full stop and before the capital letter at the start of the next sentence. Why not? I had a typing teacher who would deduct one word from my 'word per minute' for that.

I am mortified when I make mistakes in my posts and I do not mind if anybody takes me to task about them either.

Why is it an 'insult' to comment on another posters bad grammar? If he typed that on his application to migrate, or on a CV, do you think the person reading the document would be impressesd?

i suppose it is indicative of lower standards in education that teachers no longer care whether their students make grammatical errors. You are probably attacking their human rights if you do give them black marks for such errors?

I notice that you do not bother with a space after a full stop and before the capital letter at the start of the next sentence. Why not? I had a typing teacher who would deduct one word from my 'word per minute' for that.

I am mortified when I make mistakes in my posts and I do not mind if anybody takes me to task about them either.

i should be a capital if you don't mind! haha.

Mike (Sales), Cat (Primary Teacher) & Oliver (4)

Ielts: 6/4/2013 W: 8.5 L:9 S:9 R:9 Successful AITSL: 4/6/2013 EOI Submitted: 4/7/2013 State Sponsorship Approved: 30/07/2013 Invitation to Apply: 6/8/2013 190 Application Submitted: ​8/8/2013 CO Assigned: 24/09/13 Medicals Booked: 6/10/13

This made me laugh.

I am not a typist and do not profess to be.

This made me laugh.

I am not a typist and do not profess to be.

Time was, you could drop your work off in the typing pool and then blame the typists if they stuffed up your letter. After all, they trained as typists and were expected to know how to lay a letter out with the correct spacing between words.

Now, nearly everybody has to do their own typing so who can you blame if your letter is covered in mistake?

With all due respect Maryrose, I have acknowledged my mistake and appreciate your feedback. I would also appreciate if my first thread on this forum could be kept on topic as I really would like support with my questions.

P.s I am not sure what you meant by you're last sentence "...who can you blame if your letter is covered in mistake?"

Thanks again for this info Sammy1. Our original intention and hope was to move to WA. We lived in Margs for 3 months, Perth for 5 and various places up the coast and loved the state. My issue is that;

a) I would probably need to go for a state sponsored visa (for the points)

b) WA doesn't sponsor secondary teachers according to the WA SOL list.

I read one of your posts you made on another thread and you mentioned "I am a teacher in WA and there is no shortage of teachers here - both primary and secondary.It is not true at all that WA is desperate for secondary teachers or primary either. In fact over 600 new teaching graduates were without jobs at the beginning of the year. The latest batch of grads will be lookiing for jobs in February and the situation is pretty dire. However,if you are a maths or science teacher then you will be in demand".

Is this the case for D&T teachers? So far I have been teaching engineering, product deign, resistant materials, a little bit of electronics and food. Are these subjects within DT needed in WA?

Thanks again for this info Sammy1. Our original intention and hope was to move to WA. We lived in Margs for 3 months, Perth for 5 and various places up the coast and loved the state. My issue is that;

I read one of your posts you made on another thread and you mentioned "I am a teacher in WA and there is no shortage of teachers here - both primary and secondary.It is not true at all that WA is desperate for secondary teachers or primary either. In fact over 600 new teaching graduates were without jobs at the beginning of the year. The latest batch of grads will be lookiing for jobs in February and the situation is pretty dire. However,if you are a maths or science teacher then you will be in demand".

Is this the case for D&T teachers? So far I have been teaching engineering, product deign, resistant materials, a little bit of electronics and food. Are these subjects within DT needed in WA?

You need to remember that this is the current WA SOL 2012/2013 they are updated each month, and usually a big update each year after July, which will usually see more occupations added (or removed).

The current pass mark is 60 points, this could increase or decrease on 1 July.

From what you have posted, for you to be able to get the 60 points, you will need 20 points for IELTS.

D and T Teachers are in demand and scholarships have been offered for students to train in this area. However, yes there is a surplus of teachers here at the moment and the outlook is not good at the present time. This is especially so for primary teaching.In 2015 WA students will start going to government high school in year 7 ( presently year 8 ). This means that again more high school teachers will be needed.

There is a predicted shortage of teachers forecast in a couple of years time and once again teachers will be recruited from overseas and other states. A huge number of teachers here are past retirement age and that is why there will be a sudden shortfall. It sounds crazy, but that is the reality as it can change dramatically from one year to the next. Rural teachers will always be most sought after though.

Edited by Sammy1