Professional Reference for ANMAC

Mel

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on writing my professional reference as part of my skills assessment for ANMAC.

I'm a midwife - my manager is happy for me to write it for her to sign.

I've written in the format of the example refs provided by my agent, but the example refs are for community nurses so can't lift too much from it! I've covered the points from the ANZSCO job description. It reads well and is succinct and to the point. The agent says that if it was for a job application it would be spot on, but for the purposes of ANMAC, it should be 4 or 5 pages long with lots of detail. Well this is where I'm stumped....

Would anyone who's had their skills assessment through ANMAC be able to share some ideas on how to bulk it out and not sound like a load of old waffle!!!

Thank you!!

Mel x

• Like 1

Have you looked at the ANMAC site? I think there is an example of how the professional reference should be set out.

1. [h=3]Nurse or midwife registered in Australia or New Zealand | ANMAC ...[/h]

3. http://www.anmac.org.au/nurse-or-midwife-registered-australia-or-n...CachedShareShared on Google+. View the post.

4. You +1'd this publicly. Undo

5. Charlie has read the ANMAC professional reference requirements and provided his employers with a copy of the ANMAC professional reference example ...

[PDF]

[h=3]Professional reference example - Australian Nursing & Midwifery ...[/h]www.anmac.org.au/.../ANMAC_Professional_reference_exam...ShareShared on Google+. View the post.

You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    Professional reference example. A brief guide to help you prepare your professional reference for submission to the Australian Nursing and Midwifery ...

What information do my professional references need to provide?On official letterhead your professional references need to provide:

• your dates of employment
    • your areas of experience
    • a statement about your professional competence as a nurse or midwife
    • examples of your professional competence as a nurse or midwife.

Your referee needs to date their original letter and include their name, position and signature on it.

ANMAC has provided an example (24 KB) that helps to explain the criteria listed above.

If your professional references do not meet these criteria then we will not accept their reference. This will slow down your application processing time because you will have to find another reference

Policy: Recognition of Nurses and Midwives from Member States of the

European Union

ANMAC recognises the education and training of EU member states as similar in theory and

practical content to Australian standards if they meet the EU Directive 2005/36/EC.

Where the ANMAC is satisfied that the education program undertaken by a nurse/midwife in

a member state of the European Union is/was consistent with the European Union Standard

for the education of “nurses / midwives responsible for general care”, (European Directive

2005/36/EC), then the nurse/midwife will be suitable for migration without having to

complete a competency based assessment program, providing all other standards are met.

Previous ANMAC recognition for migration policies continue to apply where a nurse/midwife

from a member state of the European Union is able to provide evidence of completion of an

education program that is consistent with the European Union Standard for the education of

“nurses / midwives responsible for general care” (Directive 77/453, 80/155, 2005/36/EC).

Proof of English language proficiency will be required.

Requirements for the Competency Based Assessment Program to be Waived:

The requirement for nurses / midwives from member states of the European Union to undertake a

competency based assessment program before being suitable for migration will be waived if all of

the following requirements are met:

The education program in nursing was conducted in a member state of the European Union;

Appropriate documentation, issued by the education institution or appropriate registering

authority, verifies that the education program complies with European Union directive

2005/36/EC; and

Registration as a nurse / midwife was granted by the relevant nurse / midwife registering

authority in the jurisdiction where the education program was undertaken.

Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations

(ANZSCO) Codes

To apply under any of the new ANZSCO codes applicants must have evidence that they are

currently registered as a nurse or midwife. Descriptions of each occupation can be found on

the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website:

http://www.abs.gov.au/

Maintaining the Standards in Nursing and Midwifery Education

Previously known as the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (ANMC), the inclusion of

“Accreditation” into our name in 2010 reflects the new business of the organisation, with ANMAC

now the independent accrediting authority for nursing and midwifery under the National

Registration and Accreditation Scheme. It sets standards for accreditation and accredits nursing and

midwifery courses and providers.

ANMAC website

www.anmac.org.au

• Like 1

Hi Mel,

I'm a nurse and am currently getting everything together for my skills assessment. The agent I'm using sent me a couple of examples of references suitable for ANMAC which I'd be happy to email you if you like - not sure if it'd help as we obviously do different jobs, but you're welcome to take a look. From the references that have been written for me so far that my agent has approved, it seems to be a normal reference but with a job description / person spec. included within it, i.e. what your job involves etc. x

Thanks for the replies and information.

BeeBoDee - I would love to see your example refs if you dont mind. I feel like I'm being asked to bulk it out for the sake of bulking it out. Who needs a 4 or 5 page ref????

Thanks. x

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mel,

I'm a nurse and am currently getting everything together for my skills assessment. The agent I'm using sent me a couple of examples of references suitable for ANMAC which I'd be happy to email you if you like - not sure if it'd help as we obviously do different jobs, but you're welcome to take a look. From the references that have been written for me so far that my agent has approved, it seems to be a normal reference but with a job description / person spec. included within it, i.e. what your job involves etc. x

Hi BeeBoDee,

If you don't mind can I also have a copy of those example of references? I have 4 job's professional reference that I need to help my wife to complete and now I am scratching my head on how to make sure they will all be approved by ANMAC standard, she is apply for the "General Nurse" (ANZSCO code 254499) so my guess is I don't need couple of pages for each letter, I hope I am right.

Thank you so much for your help, have a nice weekend.

Best regards,

Rheuter

rheuter@gmail.com

I'm sure your agent is delighted about having the details sent to you in good faith distributed without the agent's permission.

Personally, I think you have absolutely done the wrong thing.

Best regards.

You're right - I'm sorry. I was just trying to help people out and didn't think of that. I've only sent the one out and won't do so again.

Personally speaking, I think what you did was extremely helpful and I would hope that Alan's reply does not put you off helping more people in the future. This forum needs people like you, as applying to organisations like AHPRA and ANMAC can be extremely daunting.

Please, please keep up the good work.

You're right - I'm sorry. I was just trying to help people out and didn't think of that. I've only sent the one out and won't do so again.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Mel,

Can u send me some examples as well..thank u

Personally speaking, I think what you did was extremely helpful and I would hope that Alan's reply does not put you off helping more people in the future. This forum needs people like you, as applying to organisations like AHPRA and ANMAC can be extremely daunting.

Please, please keep up the good work.

It may be helpful, but it may also be a breach of the agent's IP.

I sincerely hope we agents don't have to resort to including copyright and non distribution clauses in everything we send to clients.

Best regards.

Hi all!

Just like to know if will it matter if I dont send all myreferences in anmac the il send all in dic? just some of my references are not within their format and I cannot find those managers anymore since all of them moved out of the country as well...please enlighten me.

Hi all, sorry to muscle in, but im lost at the mo!

12 weeks ago, i asked my manager for a professional reference, and even though ive asked about its progress i still havent had it! Ive provided her with ANMACs prof ref template, and still nothing! I asked the other day again, and her reason now is that shes frightened that shell do something wrong and mess things up for me!!

i was wondering if somone would be so kind as to share their prof ref with me (personal details deleted of course), so that my manager has another point of reference! (Im sorry to ask, but ive paid for an assessment thats going nowhere without this).

thanks in adavance for any help or advice to point me in any direction,

mir x

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

hi google anmac professional reference, and you can print an example out . in regards to job description : im a band 5 staff nurse and my manager has copied and pasted the nurse job description to the anmac letter , put my dates of employment, talked about the ward/ unit setting and general comments about me . Also mentioned what courses i have done and competencies eg. cannulation, venepuncture, catheterisation, mentorship

Edited by Toodolou

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Adrian and welcome, my professional reference included where I worked, full or part time employment, a brief job description , courses I have attended and a little character reference, signed and dated and on official letter head paper. If I remember rightly I photocopied it and had it certified and used the same one for Aphra! Not very in depth at all and no issues with it. It was approx two pages long! Hope this helps, good luck..

Loulou