Help - costly flights home!

buckydee

if its just for adults and you dont mind the non direct route ....try getting a cheapy flight to bali and then flying from there .....malaysian are currently priced at around the $1300 mark flying to heathrow at the end of july (skyscanners)

mrs keily

1400 from Perth flight centre , Dunt know who it's with

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think i could cope without going back at least every 2 years, i'd need to make sure i had the money to do it!

Why would that be Stacey? Family? I can s\understand that a bit. Me and the wife had been used to living away from our families. The missus is a nurse and had been in nurses residences since about 17 years old. I had been to Uni and worked on pipeline testing for a while. I had moved over from where I was born to where the wife was. When people come here on holiday they generally come for a month min at a time so we saw them probably more than if we had been in the UK.

There's nothing else I miss about the UK and there are heaps of nice places to go, without even leaving Aus, for a holiday.

Hi,

We're looking to head back to the UK for two weeks at the end of June/beginning of July and have been looking at flights for about 3 months now. So far, I've been unable to find anything under $2000, other than China Southern (which doesn't have the greatest reviews and was $1800 so not much cheaper!). Being as it is such a long flight, we've been looking mainly at Cathay Pacific and Emirates as we flew with them on the way out here and found them to be good. I also don't want to spend more than a couple of hours in Hong Kong or Dubai, or wherever. Does this consign me to having to pay through the nose? I keep reading other people saying they've got flights for $1300, yet everytime I check flights, they just seem to be creeping up in price!

Getting stressed out now as it's going to wipe us out if we have to pay that much!

I've posted about this before and the general advice was to just keep checking and that there's no best time to book, but any other advice or tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

I just had a look through loads of airlines & I can not find anything under $2000 most $2500. I wish you luck, sometimes buying well in advance is the best thing. (no use to you now I know but maybe something for the future if this is an ongoing thing)

Best of Luck

Hi there,

I don't know where you are flying from but am flying at about the same time and managed to find flights for $1750 return with Malaysia Airlines (booking directly with the airline). I live in Sydney but this flight leaves from Brisbane so I will need to get an internal flight up to Brisbane for about $125 but it only takes just over an hour so that doesn't bother me too much.

The only flights I could get from Sydney were about $2000 plus and that was with China Southern any other airline was coming up at about $2200+

Anyway I hope that helps :-)

Guest littlesarah

Here's my twopenn'orth, based on my experience (such as it is):

July is peak season - last time I looked (a week or two ago) BA is showing July as more expensive than Christmas! It's usually a close second to the prices in the second half of December, but basically it's an expensive time to travel. We're going to the UK in June and only managed to get flights under $2k by booking in September.

Malaysian do some really cheap flights - but you usually have to get in quick for the best prices.

Booking now you may have missed the best deals, unless you can get a last-minute or similar deal.

I use Skyscanner to find good prices and then book directly with the airline. Having said that, though, it's often possible to get a multi-airline deal via an agent that isn't available by direct bookings.

I've found that the cheapest flights often (though not always) come with a catch - it may be that the layovers are long, that there are multiple legs to the journey or a routing that leads to a long flight time. Either that or they're 'earlybird' deals so you're booking months in advance and are tied in to fixed dates and non-refundable tickets.

Good luck in your quest!

Found it! Here it is http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/flights-holidays/139022-how-do-you-buy-uk-flights-australia.html

About half way through that thread the poster who had dealt with a Uk agent found they had made a mistake and tried to increase his price by quite a large sum!

Well I hope my flight I just bought is going to let me on as I can say 100% that I just booked one via a UK agent. The difference is though I think is that I used a UK debit card still registered at a UK address.

China air are the cheapest, I really dont know where you people are looking. Just dont go in school holidays as its obviously a stupid price

Well I hope my flight I just bought is going to let me on as I can say 100% that I just booked one via a UK agent. The difference is though I think is that I used a UK debit card still registered at a UK address.

So can you tell us the agent you used? We still have a UK bank account and bank cards, and a UK address, or could use my Dad's UK credit card, but every site I've ever looked on and every agent I've ever spoken to has told me the price is the same whether you pay pounds or dollars, it just depends where the flight originates from. Aus originating flights you pay the Australian price, Uk originating flights you pay the UK price.

Would be really keen to get details of the agent/website you have used as sounds like it could save us some money? Unfortunately I'm tied dates-wise as I want to go over for my Dad's 80th birthday as a surprise.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on here before, and it's not possible. If you start your journey (i.e. the first leg of a return ticket) from Australia, then you have to pay the Australian price. I seem to remember reading about someone whose UK agent told them it was possible, then it turned out it wasn't so they lost out as by then the prices had all gone up anyway. I'll have a search and see if I can find thr thread.

Thanks for all your responses again, everyone - very much appreciated! This idea of buying the return in the UK intrigues me - Diane, you said it's not possible if you're starting the first leg of a return journey in Australia, but would it be possible to buy a single ticket to the UK from Australia and then buy a single back using a UK credit card? I have one that is registered to my OH's dad's address so wouldn't be a problem, I don't think...?

Guest GeorgeD
Thanks for all your responses again, everyone - very much appreciated! This idea of buying the return in the UK intrigues me - Diane, you said it's not possible if you're starting the first leg of a return journey in Australia, but would it be possible to buy a single ticket to the UK from Australia and then buy a single back using a UK credit card? I have one that is registered to my OH's dad's address so wouldn't be a problem, I don't think...?

Nothing to stop you doing that...but check the cost. Singles can sometimes be 80% or more of the cost of the return!

In June 2010 I got a return from Glasgow to Brisbane with Emirates for GBP 717 return. Four months later I got a single with Emirates Glasgow to Brisbane for GBP 818. Yes, the times of year are important, but the single fare can be expensive compared to a return.

The idea is usually to buy a single from Oz to the UK, then buy a return for the UK to Oz (and back a year later!) Only useful for people going back every year, but definitely the cheapest way of doing it...you just need to start it off with a single to the Uk, then buy returns.

Unfortunately, it does have to be in July as it's my sister's wedding! I can't say how grateful I am for all the responses on this matter. I've checked out Malaysia Airlines and they are coming up cheapest at the moment, going to look at Qatar and BA now!

Probably a bit late now but I always budget for $2k although in my mind it has been $2.5k on occasion although I haven't had to pay anything like that since I got all my credit cards attached to Qantas Frequent Flyer (and if you shop at Woolies it gets even better). I haven't paid more than $1k for years now - we buy everything on credit card! I know people diss the FF scheme as being not one of the best but when you make annual trips as one or more of us has done for the last decade with everyone belonging to the scheme and the judicious transfer of points it's worked well for us.

Just done my daily check and flight prices seem to be coming down a little for August - www.zuji.com.au has Malaysian ex Adelaide to London return for around the $1660 mark.

Skyscanner keeps offering me Emirates flights for around $1700 through Skidoo as well but when you follow the link through there is no flight at that price so I have my doubts about Skyscanner....

Still hoping to hear about this UK agent that will book cheaper...

Edited by Diane

• 8 months later...
Hi,

We're looking to head back to the UK for two weeks at the end of June/beginning of July and have been looking at flights for about 3 months now. So far, I've been unable to find anything under $2000, other than China Southern (which doesn't have the greatest reviews and was $1800 so not much cheaper!). Being as it is such a long flight, we've been looking mainly at Cathay Pacific and Emirates as we flew with them on the way out here and found them to be good. I also don't want to spend more than a couple of hours in Hong Kong or Dubai, or wherever. Does this consign me to having to pay through the nose? I keep reading other people saying they've got flights for $1300, yet everytime I check flights, they just seem to be creeping up in price!

Getting stressed out now as it's going to wipe us out if we have to pay that much!

I've posted about this before and the general advice was to just keep checking and that there's no best time to book, but any other advice or tips would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

That's a lot of money to be spending for a couple of weeks. Can't you make it a bit longer? If it's going to "wipe you out" I would go somewhere else cheaper.

• 5 months later...

We have travelled Malaysian several times, the last being from London to Melbourne last weekend. Great service, and a good price. We have found it substantially cheaper to fly into Dublin rather than London or Manchester, then take the ferry over and picking up a hire car at Holyhead. Even with the ferry fares added, it works out much cheaper. The advice on buying a one way to the UK, then a return from there is good, and that is what we have done, as we have to go back to the UK in 5 weeks time. When we were flying back last weekend, we flew BA from Dublin to London, picked up a Malaysian flight from there to Kuala Lumpur, then on to Melbourne. Even with the added cost of the BA flight we came out well ahead compared to flying direct from London.

Well I have a wedding in Kells in October, family to visit in different places in UK... Trying to work out best options still have working bank accounts etc in UK and full rights here and there...can't decide cheapest, quickest or best combo! Great advice Celts.

Malaysian airfares are cheapers this year... For the obvious reason.

We've flown with Malaysian airlines and I enjoyed their service and stopover near KL just as much as Singapore. In fact the hotel we stopped at on the way back was one of the nicest hotels I've ever been in. It was massive with gorgeous grounds, pool, fishponds, in the middle of a golf course. The place had 4 restaurants and we went to check the prices in the nicest looking one. We were amazed at how cheap it was when we did the conversion, thought we must be doing something wrong. Went there for a meal in the evening and the food was great and very well priced.

Air hostesses were nice, good with kids, decent food and drink on board. Definitely would go with them again if they were a lot cheaper than Singapore.

Malaysian airfares are cheapers this year... For the obvious reason.

I priced them up for my mother flying out and they still came in £200 more than Singapore airlines. Emirates were £400 more over Singapore!

I don't mean to teach you to suck eggs, but airlines have a habit of increasing prices every time you come back to check their prices. If you use your browser in incognito mode, or clear your cache and cookies, before visiting their airline's site, you may find the price drops a little.