register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

AnxiousMum

Son talking about study in Australia

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for ages but thought I would share some news with you all. My son who will be 16 this year is talking about studying/working in Australia when he leaves school. I had this fear in the back of my mind that he might want to do this. I really don't want us to be left here in miserable England. If we don't do anything and wait to see what our son does, it could end up we are too old to do the normal migration route, I suppose we need another family discussion to see where our future is......

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Quote from Ferris Bueller.

Well first of all your son is only 16, so too young for a WHV yet.

Secondly, international uni fees are expensive here, so unless you are paying then he will need to work for a good number of years to finance his study over here.

I wouldn't start worrying yet!

Are you wanting to go to?

2012 IELTS 26/5 ANMAC 27/10 2013 LOD 14/03 AHPRA 08/05 LOE 30/05 EOI for QLD SS submitted and invited (same day) 30/05 190 Visa lodged 11/06 Medicals 29/06 CO allocated 12/7 PCC 23/7 extra docs 18/8 VISA GRANTED 23/8! Flights booked 10 Sept Brisbane bound! :jiggy:

I wouldnt worry, he'll probably end up in Timbuctu or Trinidad - kids can end up anywhere in the world!

I don't think you should let a 16 year old lead the way on this. What do you want to do? If you want to move to Australia then look into it for yourself..

I suppose I should have explained properly. For those of you who have been on here a long time, you will remember our problem with trying to get to Australia, (too long to go into now), we kind of gave up on the idea but one of our sons who has always been very keen has expressed an interest in going over to work in Australia as soon as he is able. I realise he has a few years to go yet. My worry is our kids will decide to go to Australia (because they will have the skills, and youth on their side) and we will have missed our chance to go over again due to age. We are trying to decide if we really should try harder to get over there before our time runs out and that way we will all be in the same country anyway. I know our son could change his mind and could end up anywhere in the world, but as this was our dream in the first place, maybe this is our sign to make the move.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Quote from Ferris Bueller.

I would persue what avenues are open to you if this is something you still want to do - as you say the opportunity may not be available to you in a few years.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

In terms of your son studying over here, unless he gets very lucky and scores an International scholarship, the fees are huge. Unless he (or you) can foot that bill, its unlikley that he will have much of a choice... He could obvioulsy get a WHV when he's 18, but that's a way off yet. No point worrying about that for a couple of years. In fact, even study wise, its a couple of years off being a realistic plan. He's unlikely to get a scholarship for undergrad study, so he would have to have a decent degree (most likley a first or a high 2:1) to be in the running for a scholarship... so that adds UK University study to the years total...

In terms of your son studying over here, unless he gets very lucky and scores an International scholarship, the fees are huge. Unless he (or you) can foot that bill, its unlikley that he will have much of a choice... He could obvioulsy get a WHV when he's 18, but that's a way off yet. No point worrying about that for a couple of years. In fact, even study wise, its a couple of years off being a realistic plan. He's unlikely to get a scholarship for undergrad study, so he would have to have a decent degree (most likley a first or a high 2:1) to be in the running for a scholarship... so that adds UK University study to the years total...

yeah, sounds like he is just having one of those pie in the sky brainstorming moments, as John Lennon says, Life is what happens while you are busy making plans - so don't fret about it - he'll probably meet a lovely girl from Croydon and end up in Calgary - I wouldn't bother with Australia if your only rationale is to go where you think he might end up!