Phoenix

Alternatives to using scum of the earth estate agents when selling up

Having bought and sold a number of houses in the past I find the most stressful aspect of the entire process is invariably dealing with Estate agents.

Ive yet to find an estate aget that has actually earnt the £5,000-£8,000, ive paid them each time Ive needded to sell a house, and each time Ive tried to buy a house Ive got screwed over by the agents messing us about.

So, in response to a couple of other threads Ive seen over teh past few days Ive decided to look at the alternative options.

1) Rightmove.... these guys are probably the biggest name online, however, they only deal with estate agents, so not an option unless you want to engage an estate agent, however, when I sell I would really want my property advertised on this site.

2) Sell My House Home Property. Private Selling Letting advertising Online. Sales and Lets. for £150 you can advertise your house for an entire year, and have a board outside your house.... and teh best bit is because these guys are NOT an estate agent you can use these guys without violating your sole agent agreement with a high street agent.... this site is well worth visiting, especially for their information about HIPS...bottom line NEVER LET AN ESTATE AGENT PREPARE YOUR HIP

3) Online Estate Agent Selling Property>Right Move Agents @ House Network Sales these guys say they are an on line estate agent, so you immediately need to be wary, however, they advertise on all the key on line websites (including rightmove), and will do so for only £500...... at this price who cares if they do nothing, Id pay that to put the house advert on the on line sites alone, let alone their services in preparing the brochure information.

So, thats my start on the issue, anyone got any other ideas, hints or tips....or even want to try and persuade us why estate agents are not so bad after all?

Guest Ron & Chel

How Do You Know When An Estate Agent Is Lying ,

When He Opens His Mouth

Guest Em & Rich

We have also brought and sold a few houses and have always negotiated the fee that we pay the estate agents as they charge way too much! When we come to sell this property I am considering doing it ourselves, OH is a wizz on the computer so he can knock the brochure up, then put a big ad in the local paper and hopefully get a flood of viewings!

How Do You Know When An Estate Agent Is Lying ,

When He Opens His Mouth

THEIR LIPS MOVE hehe

The oldgit

We have also brought and sold a few houses and have always negotiated the fee that we pay the estate agents as they charge way too much! When we come to sell this property I am considering doing it ourselves, OH is a wizz on the computer so he can knock the brochure up, then put a big ad in the local paper and hopefully get a flood of viewings!

Unless someone can point me to better alternatives, I'm actually quite warming to housenetwork.co.uk, its worth looking at their services, as they stack up very well against traditional agents.

Myself I feel the vast majority of buyers these days use the Internet, especially out of town buyers, only locals will see newspaper adverts, and again housenetwork.co.uk score very well on this front.

Guest Em & Rich

I think it depends on the age bracket that your house will appeal to, round here the local paper is still used a lot especially the property section on a Wednesday. Mind you I will probably put the house on an internet site as well just to cover all bases!

Guest julie2g1b

hi there

our esate agent wanted to charge £500 for the hips so we went on the hips site and got a

company through them and in total they charged £345 so it pay's to shop around.

our house has been up almost 3 weeks and they have not rang us and no one has been

round yet :cry::arghh:

julie :wubclub:

Guest seljohn

Hi,

Weve been on with an estate agent since end of Oct 07 with one viewing the first weekend, I know its not the best time of year but......

We are changing to Smartmove who are internet based, agents do veiwings etc, they advertise on rightmove and local press, and only charge £350 plus vat to go on with them and if they sell your home you pay another £350 plus vat.

Could save us and you £1000's

0845 2570345 or Smart Move - Homepage

Good luck with house sales,

Selena:wubclub: