EugeneS

Can citizenship expire or be cancelled?

Hi folks,

I was just wondering whether the citizenship can be expired or canceled under certain conditions? For example if you've been granted a citizenship and the day after you decide to leave OZ for indefinite time period, will the citizenship be active\valid forever?

Thanks,

Eugene

Thanks for your responses guys!

But can anyone also post a link to an official source stating the same?

I tried to find anything related on the government site but didn't find nothing relevant..

Thanks!

Really only if you obtained it fraudulently - eg did not declare criminal convictions which would have disqualified you.

Otherwise you keep it for life.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Hi folks,

I was just wondering whether the citizenship can be expired or canceled under certain conditions? For example if you've been granted a citizenship and the day after you decide to leave OZ for indefinite time period, will the citizenship be active\valid forever?

Thanks,

Eugene

You generally keep it for life. There are circumstances in which it can be revoked (renounced). But that is generally at the discretion of the Immigration Minister to decide, therefore it can still be declined even though you don't want it.

The following is a guide on the process of renouncing citizenship:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/give_up/

Skills Asses -Sep 07,Visa (175 ) Lodged -Feb 08,Visa (175) Payment & Ack - Feb 12 08,Police Checks Sent- April 08, Meds Comp- 23 July 08, Meds Sent and Signed for 01/08/08, Arrived in OZ 27/08/08 as ETA !, Visa Grant 12/09/08, Australian Citizen 22/03/2013

[h=3]AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP ACT 2007 - SECT 32A[/h]Simplified outline The following is a simplified outline of this Division:

There are 4 ways in which you can cease to be an Australian citizen:

• you may renounce your Australian citizenship: see section 33; or

• if you did not automatically become an Australian citizen, the Minister can revoke your citizenship: see section 34; or

• you serve in the armed forces of a country at war with Australia: see section 35; or

• if you are the child of a responsible parent who ceases to be an Australian citizen, the Minister can revoke your citizenship in some situations: see section 36.