Sign in to follow this  
ali

IOM

On my visa grant letter, it said the IOM can help with migration having negotiated a number of deals with airlines re fares and baggage allowance - has anyone used them or got quotes from them, just wondering if they're reasonable.?

Thanks Ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ali

I've never heard of IOM. Who are they, do you know? Obviously, if DIMA sent you their details then they must be 100% pukka. Can you give us a link to a website for them at all? If you can, that would be very helpful because I would certainly want to check them out for my Mum.

Many thanks

Gill

Gill,

My letter says (under the heading of Travel to Australia), - quote- that once granted a visa to enter Aus as a migrant, visa holders must make their own travel arrangements blah blah. However, there may be eligibility for a special reduced one-way economy fare, as well as a more generous baggage allowance. These concessions, which may be available to prospectibe migrants through the International Organization for Migration (IOM)

More info is available at IOMAustralia@iom.int

http://www.iom.int

Fax, +61-2-6257 3743

Not contacted them yet, if you get any info before I do, let me know. I was assuming this was on everyones letter and someone may know something about them.

Ali x

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ali

What can I say? IOM take my breath away and I had had no idea that they even exist, so thank you very much indeed for the link.

As for actually shoving the stuff into a container and getting it to Oz for you though, personally I wouldn't choose IOM.

I have read lots of very poor reports about Pickfords International and also Anglo-Pacific.

I've read good reports about some of the others. I'm thinking of contacting Robinsons in Southampton to see what they have to say for themselves abut Mum's stuff, but as I haven't spoken with them yet it is academic.

Search the forums - particularly British Expats - using "Removals" or similar. Hundreds of theads will appear. For what it is worth, I reckon the only sane thing to do is to insure the goods for their full replacement value and if anything is particularly fragile but small, take it with you by air, well-wrapped in clothes etc.

Thanks very much for the link, once again.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Nelson

Hiya.. We had a quote from IOM and it was very competetive. The only reaon why we didn't accept was that our journey is rather convoluted and we have decided to make our own arrangements. The service though, was very efficient...

Thanks Krist,

Will keep them in mind then - just got the house to sell. They're following up references on the job I was offerred (one of my referrees contacted me), so at least something is moving. Strange isn't it - you get over the big wait for the visa, then wait to go

Ali x