Living In Sydney On 70k (Is It Possible)

jt spark

Nobody said it would be easy for them to live on $70k: I said it was possible. If you don't believe I can do what I said $30k that's your problem as I am not a liar nor am I prepared to discuss my life on an internet forum. I can and have taken overseas holidays on less.

I am well aware that nobody said it would be easy for them, that is really the whole point!

I don't have a problem here and you are seriously flattering yourself if you think I am interested in how you live. My concern is the newbie on here who is about to make one of the bggest decisions of his life and you are rubbishing everybody else's response about how hard this might be because apparently you know better ... but then refuse to provide even a basic breakdown of major expenditure to back up your point of view.

Would you live in London on about 27-30K GBP? Because I'd say that's about equivalent, given the issues with 457s ........ the school fees in particular are a killer for many and get missed

I'm curious about the extra issues with the 457 visa. I know about school fees but we don't have kids so I can ignore that one and I think there's medical insurance too. Anything else?

We'd be going over on 457 visas (husband's job) and when we are there they'd look at getting PR. I think I'll have to find a job when we get there. His job is based in the Eastern Suburbs, which seems like a pricey area so I am a bit stressed about the $$$!

I'm curious about the extra issues with the 457 visa. I know about school fees but we don't have kids so I can ignore that one and I think there's medical insurance too. Anything else?

We'd be going over on 457 visas (husband's job) and when we are there they'd look at getting PR. I think I'll have to find a job when we get there. His job is based in the Eastern Suburbs, which seems like a pricey area so I am a bit stressed about the $$$!

No access to benefits is the other one.....and some spouses of 457 holders find it hard to get work because as far as their employer is concerned, their availability to work is at the whim of something over which they have no control or knowledge - eg your husband loses his job for any reason, you have to quit as well because you'll lose your residency/work rights quickly. Often there's another candidate who offers a lower risk, hence, it can be hard to find work.

I don't want to put you off or anything, it works out for most, probably best to budget on one wage and treat any extra work as a bonus if you can.

Risks are much lower for those without kids I think, when no one else is reliant on you. But saying that, plenty of people bring families over on 457s and are perfectly happy. Me included, but then we're not here to emigrate as such (yet)

I am truly fascinated to find out how it would be so easy to live on $70k as a new migrant. I am even more fascinated as to how you could happily live on half of that, could you actually provide some expense breakdowns to support this easy $35k a year living? Perhaps there is something you could teach us all.

People only say that they think it will be tight, because someone posted on here asking for opinions and that is what they think. What is there for you to get annoyed at?

My own rough calculations, $70k salary is $55k take home and $46k after school fees. So $880 take home per week. How do I get that to cover my expenses in metro Sydney and still have money for an overseas holiday?

I agree with you entirely, our $535k mortgage (which would be very average in Sydney for a family home unless you have a large deposit) is $3500 a month, so there is more than $35K to start with!

Even renting on $880 a week, say $500 for rent, $200 for food (possibly could bring that down with prudence), leaves scarily little for utilities, insurance,any kind of social life, clothes....

I wouldn't move to Australia for $70k - we came with guarenteed jobs of that each and have struggled.

We're in Perth and according to the 'affordability' index Sydney is even worse - though I think that is probably because a lot of salaries are higher in Perth.

Thanks for that. I think that for many reasons it makes sense for us to be able to get by (here and there) on one salary if necessary.

One other question (and sorry for asking things that I am sure has been asked loads before...so much info here that I am finding it hard to find the answers): we'd go on a 457 visa, all sorted out by my husband's employer. At some point after we get there, we'd start the process to get PR. Assuming that all goes through ok, is it right that my visa is no longer dependent on my husband's visa/job? And that his isn't tied to his job either but while on 457, it is? The job is basically his dream job so fingers crossed that it all works out but if it didn't, it would be good to have options

Thank you to everyone for posting their thoughts,views and experiences on living in Sydney on 70k,there is a lot to factor in especially with kids,schools,childcare etc,and the unforeseen,we can see the positive/negative sides of a 457 visa and are still not sure if that's the best way for us to go to Australia,its a big decision to make and were having a few sleepless nites thinking it over,the job etc is exactly what I want and the people I have spoken to their seemed helpful etc regarding any concerns,questions I have asked them,we have a good standard of living(not extravagant) and would hope for the same in Oz.

I hope you don't change your minds about coming! Not that I have any right, being single, to knock your decision! I did post a breakdown of cost of living in Sydney on another thread. I must have another look at that. With a company car thrown in, that must be worth another - what? - $15,000 per year? I found an NRMA (like the AA/RAC) breakdown of costs of running a car in Sydney.) Add in your wife's projected salary - was it about $30,000?

In my own case, I have paid my mortgage and I have a small income of about $300 per week. I reckon I need about $500 although I am going out most nights. When I was working for the ATO in Penrith I was pulling in about $500 a week and living well.

Here are some of the pages for calculating the cost of running a car - the top one is the NRMA one that I looked at.

1. Cost of running a car in Sydney 2012 | Car Operating Costs | NRMA ...

2. www.mynrma.com.au › ... › Buying adviceCar Operating CostsCachedShareShared on Google+. View the post.
  3. You +1'd this publicly. Undo
  4. 2012 cost of running a car in Sydney have been calculated from each location based on a return trip to Sydney's CBD, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.
  5. You visited this page on 25/02/13.

Car Operating & Service Costs| NRMA Motoring & Services

www.mynrma.com.au › ... › Buying & SellingBuying adviceCachedShareShared on Google+. View the post.

You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    ... Australia's most comprehensive list of new vehicles and their operating costs. ... About 2012 Car Operating Costs · 2012 cost of running a car in Sydney ...

Costs of running a car – budgeting for car expenses

www.moneybuddy.com.aucar loanscar loan guides & tipsCached - SimilarShareShared on Google+. View the post.

Explains the running costs associated with running a car, including purchase costs, registration, insurance, petrol prices, ... 70 Phillip Street, Sydney - NSW 2000 ...

Online tool to calculate running costs of new cars - Sydney Morning ...

www.smh.com.auTechnologySimilarShareShared on Google+. View the post.

Jan 23, 2009 – An online tool used to calculate vehicle running costs has named a three-door hatchback as the most economical car on Australian roads.

Edited by MARYROSE02

Just another thing to consider is the difficulty your wife might have in finding a job - there are threads on here from dependents on a 457 who just cannot crack a job at all. Add that to the $9k pa for school fees and, tbh you are really going to struggle. Of course you could scrimp and save, live in a less desirable area etc but whether you would enjoy the experience is a whole other matter - also consider the tenuous nature of the 457 visa and whatever you do, don't burn any bridges.

Would you live in London on about 27-30K GBP? Because I'd say that's about equivalent, given the issues with 457s ........ the school fees in particular are a killer for many and get missed

One of my colleagues from work has been for an interview today and the salary he has been quoted is between $165-$180 plus benefits and bonus and he's still not convinced that's enough to live on.

My reply was that if he wasn't happy or sure of the job can he put my name down for an interview.

:biglaugh:

Hi guys, just to let you know that you may not have to pay school fees. My husband earns $90k and we have three children in school. I spoke to the NSW school board and they said that we earn too little to pay for 3 children to go to school. So, we were exempt from paying $13.5k ($4500 each) for all three of them. I reckon that on $70k salary for two kids you too wont have to pay school fees. Its worth finding out.

Hi guys, just to let you know that you may not have to pay school fees. My husband earns $90k and we have three children in school. I spoke to the NSW school board and they said that we earn too little to pay for 3 children to go to school. So, we were exempt from paying $13.5k ($4500 each) for all three of them. I reckon that on $70k salary for two kids you too wont have to pay school fees. Its worth finding out.

We too got our fees for two children excempt, as we are only on my OH salary of about $60 k you have to enquire about it as they don'y advertise the fact you could be exempt...from what we was informed it's anything below $120k, so even when work picks up for me we will still be exempt hopefully...On your question of is $70 enough...well where not struggling like we did in the uk, we have a nice 4 bed house have more time with the kids and get out to some amazing places, Although I do need to get working..not only for my own sanity but would like to put some money away, Youv'e just got to do your research on areas to live and did you say you would get a company car that would save you loads as they are not cheap wot with rego, pink & green slips..!

Anyway I hope you make a go for it...We've been here 5 months & other than missing family & friends we have no regrets

On your question of is $70 enough...well where not struggling like we did in the uk, we have a nice 4 bed house have more time with the kids and get out to some amazing places, Although I do need to get working..not only for my own sanity but would like to put some money away, Youv'e just got to do your research on areas to live and did you say you would get a company car that would save you loads as they are not cheap wot with rego, pink & green slips..!

Thankyou for posting this, you have proven that my earlier posts were correct and I was not out of touch. I hope, now, those who posted insulting replies, to my earlier posts, will think twice, in the future, before they insult someone who has different opinion to theirs.

I am so pleased that you are coping and I'm sure you will have a successful future if you decide to stay long term.

We too got our fees for two children excempt, as we are only on my OH salary of about $60 k you have to enquire about it as they don'y advertise the fact you could be exempt...from what we was informed it's anything below $120k, so even when work picks up for me we will still be exempt hopefully...On your question of is $70 enough...well where not struggling like we did in the uk, we have a nice 4 bed house have more time with the kids and get out to some amazing places, Although I do need to get working..not only for my own sanity but would like to put some money away, Youv'e just got to do your research on areas to live and did you say you would get a company car that would save you loads as they are not cheap wot with rego, pink & green slips..!

Anyway I hope you make a go for it...We've been here 5 months & other than missing family & friends we have no regrets

this is interesting - who do you enquire about schooling costs from? is the info online , thanks

this is interesting - who do you enquire about schooling costs from? is the info online , thanks

http://www.detinternational.nsw.edu.au/media-assets/trp/fee-exemption.pdf

Go into the link above, you only need to pay the $110 per child application fee & a copy of your employment contract if you don't have 3 months wage slips which most new migrants won't have...we got a decision in less than a week...hope this helps..!

I am truly fascinated to find out how it would be so easy to live on $70k as a new migrant. I am even more fascinated as to how you could happily live on half of that, could you actually provide some expense breakdowns to support this easy $35k a year living? Perhaps there is something you could teach us all.

People only say that they think it will be tight, because someone posted on here asking for opinions and that is what they think. What is there for you to get annoyed at?

My own rough calculations, $70k salary is $55k take home and $46k after school fees. So $880 take home per week. How do I get that to cover my expenses in metro Sydney and still have money for an overseas holiday?

I'm with you. Hubby is on $80K a year and I work sporadically when I can find work. His take home barely covers rent ($470 which is really cheap for our part of Bris), food, utilities, school fees, medical fees etc. We survive due to my occasional income and by using UK savings for big ticket items like cars, holidays etc.. I source clothes from the UK to save money. Brisbaneis cheaper than Sydney & Melbourne as far as I know. I see his take home, I see our bills - there's so little left over - we rarely go out and perhaps have a holiday every 2 years. Every time someone posts that you can live well on these relatively low salaries, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Often people are mortgage free/not paying rent - and I get how they are OK, but I'd genuinely love to know how others do it - sure we have two cars, Foxtel and gym membership, the odd bottle of wine and maybe a meal out once a month (nothing flush) - these could go, but the savings wouldn't be sufficient to have a high quality of life..live the 4 bed 2 bath close to the beach lifestyle with hols that so many move to Oz for.... Take home in UK was 60K GPB and we were pretty flush, but our mortgage wasn't such a huge % of our income compared to the rent now......

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update,I have decided not to accept the 457 sponsorship, after much research into school fees,cost of living etc 70k in Sydney for a family of 4 was never going to cover everything,thanks for everyone who posted with their comments and advice cheers.

Edited by jt spark