Claiming points for Partner Skills

Tafflass

Hi

I'm just about to lodge my EOI for a 189visa.....I thought I had 65points as I was hoping to claim 5 points for partner skills. My husband has a job on the SOL list and had a skills assessment, but when I looked on the EOI page they are also asking that he have 12months experience in the last 24months

Clients can claim points for their partner’s skills if their partner is able to satisfy the following basic requirements:

• Is not an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen
  • Is under 50 at time of application
  • Has an occupation listed on the same SOL as the main applicant
  • Has a positive skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority
  • Has competent English; and

Either;

• Has met the Australian Study requirement in the period of 6 months ending immediately before the day the application was made and;
    In the circumstances in which each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to satisfy the requirement is closely related to the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation; or
  • At the time of application, has been employed in a skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 12 months in the 24 months immediately before that day

Do you think it matters that although he has been working in a skilled occupation for the last 12months...it is not the same occupation that is stated on his skills assessment?

Now I'm beginning to think I should only claim 60points rather than take the risk......any advice would be gratefully received

Nerys

I'm confused by this, as nowhere on the Visa information (including the booklet) does it say about working for the last 12 months, so why does it come up on the EOI? It says it for the main applicant, but not for Partner Skills. Worried now, as I am hoping to get an essential 5 points for Partner Skills, but I only work part time..........

Where are you pasting that info from.

I can't see the 12 months requirement here :- http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

And also on here :- http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

it states :

Partner Skills

You can receive five points if your partner meets requirements at the time you are invited to apply relating to:

English language ability

a suitable skills assessment in a nominated occupation on the same Skilled Occupation List used for your application.

You cannot receive these points if your partner is not included on your visa application, or if they are an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident.

I'm confused by this, as nowhere on the Visa information (including the booklet) does it say about working for the last 12 months, so why does it come up on the EOI? It says it for the main applicant, but not for Partner Skills. Worried now, as I am hoping to get an essential 5 points for Partner Skills, but I only work part time..........

Hi Del70, Im just as confused as you. I'd read booklet 6 and it didnt mention anything about recent work experience there. so it wasnt until I was actually filling in my EOI that read about this condition.

Rupert not sure if I can post the link as it was on my EOI....i'll give it a go...

Is it an EOI that was started a long time ago, or only recently? I don't dare start an EOI of our own yet, as we'll have a long wait for our AITSL skills results - so I can't see if ours would say the same thing for Partner Skills.

I suppose that I am employed by the local county council on their Supply Teacher list, so I may still be ok, as it doesn't state numbers of hours worked, by the looks of things.............

Is it an EOI that was started a long time ago, or only recently? I don't dare start an EOI of our own yet, as we'll have a long wait for our AITSL skills results - so I can't see if ours would say the same thing for Partner Skills.

I suppose that I am employed by the local county council on their Supply Teacher list, so I may still be ok, as it doesn't state numbers of hours worked, by the looks of things.............

I started my EOI in January...but couldn't go any further until I had my skills assessment the part about partner skills came after this so I've only just seen it.

Not sure what to do as my husband has a skills assessment for Engineering Technologist but has been employed as a Mechanical Engineer for the last 12months....it doesnt stipulate that the skilled occupation has to be the same as that on the skills assessment.

Also I've noticed that they are giving out less invitations for visas in March so I'd be better off with 65 points, otherwise I'd just forget the partner points and go with 60. Dilemmas! :frown:

Would it be worth you contacting DIAC to see what they say? They are the only people that know exactly what they're asking for........ I just wish that it gave the same information on the website and in the booklet!

At least you have the option of not using the Partner Skills points - we need them to make 60 points!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I want to confirm from you that did you get points for your Partner, I have similar case as yours. my occupation Marketing specilaist is in CSOL and my partner occupation is in SOL, will I get 5 points for my Partner statement 3' Has an occupation listed on same SOL as the main applicant' is confusing me. although SOL is a sub lit of CSOL and civil engineer is also present in CSOL.

Did you claim 60 points or 65 points ? how did it go ?

Hi

I'm just about to lodge my EOI for a 189visa.....I thought I had 65points as I was hoping to claim 5 points for partner skills. My husband has a job on the SOL list and had a skills assessment, but when I looked on the EOI page they are also asking that he have 12months experience in the last 24months

Clients can claim points for their partner’s skills if their partner is able to satisfy the following basic requirements:

• Is not an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen
  • Is under 50 at time of application
  • Has an occupation listed on the same SOL as the main applicant
  • Has a positive skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority
  • Has competent English; and

Either;

• Has met the Australian Study requirement in the period of 6 months ending immediately before the day the application was made and;
    In the circumstances in which each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to satisfy the requirement is closely related to the applicant’s nominated skilled occupation; or
  • At the time of application, has been employed in a skilled occupation for a period totalling at least 12 months in the 24 months immediately before that day

Do you think it matters that although he has been working in a skilled occupation for the last 12months...it is not the same occupation that is stated on his skills assessment?

Now I'm beginning to think I should only claim 60points rather than take the risk......any advice would be gratefully received

Nerys

Hi,

I want to confirm from you that did you get points for your Partner, I have similar case as yours. my occupation Marketing specilaist is in CSOL and my partner occupation is in SOL, will I get 5 points for my Partner statement 3' Has an occupation listed on same SOL as the main applicant' is confusing me. although SOL is a sub lit of CSOL and civil engineer is also present in CSOL.

Did you claim 60 points or 65 points ? how did it go ?

Your question is very different to the one on the old thread you posted on.

In your case, no I don't believe you can claim. Both occupations need to only be on the a SOL or only on the CSOL. Strange rule, but that is it.

• 1 year later...

The information which is discussed in this forum is not authentic,it is no where mentioned in the Govt.website., that,to get the additional 5 points contribution from the skill assessment,the partner skill also must be from the same occupation list of either SOL or CSOL. Please convince me with proof from the Govt.web site.According to me,any body gets an assessment from any category can claim additional 5 points for their spouse ,irrespective of the fact,whether they are in different ANZSCO code ,SOL or CSOL.If not,please provide me with the proof.

The information which is discussed in this forum is not authentic,it is no where mentioned in the Govt.website., that,to get the additional 5 points contribution from the skill assessment,the partner skill also must be from the same occupation list of either SOL or CSOL. Please convince me with proof from the Govt.web site.According to me,any body gets an assessment from any category can claim additional 5 points for their spouse ,irrespective of the fact,whether they are in different ANZSCO code ,SOL or CSOL.If not,please provide me with the proof.

You are mistaken and see my reply to your other post