You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Hey all,

Just a quick question you folks may be able to help us with to put our minds at ease! :smile:

Our offshore defacto visa has been lodged, case officer assigned and they have got back to us requesting further information which has been provided. Also been told to do the medical after a couple of months.

The question I have is, at which point would a visa be rejected due to character issues if they have already obviously looked at the application and asked us to go for a medical. Would it be right at the start of the process or further down the line ?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome :)

Your police check isn't in yet either I would guess (this is requested later now also). So until that comes back I'd say as if the police check is a concern they may refuse.

If they have requested extra info this is quite common. I had to submit two extra things (we knew they would want them but they were not on the list to submit with application so we waited till asked). Once they have that, if nothing heard, try not to panic.

We have an off shore partner visa thread here if you are interested

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/58449-summary-spouse-visa-processing-times-offshore-uk-please-add-your-stats-706.html

Thanks Snifter! I've been lurking for a while now so I've already been keeping an eye on that thread, very useful :)

The visa application was actually front loaded with the police check however there was no mention of it or any further information required such as Form 80 (:shocked: ) once the CO had initially got in touch. I'm unsure if that's a good or a bad thing, thus my post!

Guest GeorgeD

Did you have lots of evidence of your relationship? This is the most common thing COs ask for. If you gave lots in your application, there's no need to ask for more.

Do you expect to have a problem with your Police Clearance? You need to have been convicted of offences with custodial sentences of more than 12 months for it to be a problem. If you have anything less than this it's quite possible your CO won't even mention it. Did you explain anything in your personal statement regarding any convictions? If you have no convictions and are just worried, then don't worry! Your CO doesn't go through each piece of evidence then give you an update on what you have passed or failed on. For example, they won't tell you you have passed the medical either!

If you have a significant criminal record (12 months custodial sentences) then did you use an agent? What did they say about your chances of success?

We gave plenty of evidence and the CO asked for no more, they just wanted some further info such as an Australian address etc and a couple of other things.

As regards the police clearance it is complicated however no, it's not more than 12 months. We consulted an agent who said it should have no issues.

My question is basically - at which point would an application be rejected for character issues , at the start or further down the line ?

Guest GeorgeD

They would probably flag it early on if it was a real issue. If you have been using a registered migration agent and they have given you guidance on how to position your past...and you haven't had more than 12 months in custodial sentences, then it really should be OK.

What tends to happen is the CO reviews your evidence as soon as they open the file, or within a few days. If you are light on evidence they ask for more very early. If there is an issue with your medical it will be referred pretty early on and you will know there's an issue. If your PCC throws up any information which the CO is concerned about, I'm sure you would hear about it soon after they read it.

Listen to your agent, they will have done this more times than anyone else here...the Character requirement is the same for all PR visas, so they will have no doubt come across people with a variety of pasts.