You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Wee kimmy

Worried mum of 14 going on 15 year old son moving to Brisbane

Hi everyone, my family and i are moving to Brisbane in july, but my oldest son Daniel is not at all happy! Im worried about how he will fit in with his age group over in oz and if he will make friends easily! I want my kids to be happy, and would hate to see them unhappy! Need some advice from anyone else in my shoes or have been in my shoes.

Hi we have just moved to Australia with a 14 year old boy. He has started school this week and loves it and like your son he was not happy moving over here. He has made loads of new friends and is made up with all the girls coming up to him asking him to speak as they love his accent.He has signed up to a football team and that has helped too.

I was worried sick like you but everything has worked out and the school have been excellent.

Good luck and try not to worry.

15/02/12 Application for Vetassess, 28/03/12 Passed stage 1, 28/04/12 Bricklaying practical with Vetassess. 8/05/12 Passed practical. 09/06/12 Sat IELTS L7.5, R7, W8, S9. SS SA applied 16/05/12 Approved 18/06/12.Visa Lodged 22/06/12. VISA GRANTED 25/07/12

Is he worried about his education? In which case it might be an idea to see if you can have him finish his education in UK as it will stand him in good stead and keep all his options open. You'd want to be sure that no one is going to change their minds about living in Australia because once you take him out of the UK system it gets harder to step back in again (not impossible, just difficult)

Hi there,

We moved to Melbourne last June (our son was then 13, turned 14 last Aug) and he was worried about the move too. He had been bullied in his UK school to the extent that we home schooled him for the last 6 months we were there, so you can imagine what his feeling were about coming over here. Although he was looking forward to leaving all that behind he was anxious about fitting into a school in a different country. But.... he is loving every minute :laugh:

as Ste5hk has said, the girls cant leave him alone, they think he sounds like hugh grant, and even now, having been here almost 8, months he gets asked to say potato over and over again. He has also made loads of friends, now has a social life, goes out bowling, lazer tag, cycling, swimming at the beach etc. I constantly have a house full of xbox loving teenagers in the evenings :biggrin: We finally have our son back, a smiling, fun loving kid

So please tell your son not to worry, in our experience the children here are all welcoming and friendly. They bent over backwards to help our son feel at home in the school etc, and I am sure it will be the same for your son.

Ielts 3/12/11 8.5, skills ass 20/3/12, Vic SS 26/3/12, 176 lodged 26/3/12, Medicals (adults 20/4 ,childrens 26/4) PCC uploaded 17/3/12, CO 18/4/12 visa granted 27/4/12, 27/6/12 landed In oz, loving every minute, and ain't ever going back!! :laugh:

Thank you all for great advice, it has def helped ease my mind, it such a big step to take as a family, but i just hope it will be one that is worth it esp for the kids :)

hi, I have a Daniel aged 13, moving to north Brisbane early July, he's really not keen as he will miss his family back home. this post has been reassuring. I'm wondering how other children his age have delt with missing family? I would also really like to meet up with mums in the area with boys n girls of a similar age :)

i am 14, moving to australia this year, i am looking forward to it and as it is a one in a life time opportunity. Moving to melbourne:)