Why am i the odd one out?

Guest guest82966

Guest guest82966

Moved back to Rochdale from Tapping,Perth WA in jan 2009! After only 5 months!

I liked Australia, had a good job, loved the days out, loved the beaches! Hated getting up at 5 for work but i was getting used to it..

Everybody else, my wife, step-son, step-daughter hated it and wanted to go home!

So now i have 30,000 debt, hardly any work and im paying £800 a month plus to live in Rochdale! yep same rent as Perth!

Is it just me,or does that sound a bit crazy??????

You are probably not alone. There have been quite a few families move back, where one person has had to compromise.

At the end of the day, you have to evaluate what is priority. If family and sticking together is the number one priority, then yes, someone will always lose out.

It sounds like family is important to you, look back on your time in Oz with fondness and what an adventure you had, but concentrate on the present.

Try to make the best of your current situation.

Good luck.

Cheers

Karen

Guest guest82966

Fingers crossed one day they might change their minds........ maybe a massive population boost the uk or something?? Romania,Bulgaria,India!!!

Doubt it though! Yep family first,dreaming of the surf unfortunately must come second!

How nice for you to put your family 1st, its a shame that you couldn't have had a timescale to see how you all felt . We said that we would give it two years, if we was still unhappy we would go back. I really struggle for 19 months then things started falling into place, am glad that we had our pact as now here 4 years later & love OZ!

Guest guest82966

Thanks for the replies! We've had a few holidays over here, Disneyland paris, Cornwall, Edinburgh.....

The thing is, where else in the world can you move where everyone speaks English, there's plenty of work and has depending on which part there's such a variety of climates.....

We said we'd give it 2 years but the relentless moaning began after less than 2 months....

There really is just something about Australia that will never leave me.

Guest guest82966
That's unfortunate that you had to move back, to Rochdale of all places :/ (I'm from Bury) you don't happen to be a sprayer do you? It's just a lad at my work place did exactly what you described and he was from Rochdale I think.

No i'm a mechanic though! I used to work at Westrac in Guilford,perth,WA

Moved back to Rochdale from Tapping,Perth WA in jan 2009! After only 5 months!

I liked Australia, had a good job, loved the days out, loved the beaches! Hated getting up at 5 for work but i was getting used to it..

Everybody else, my wife, step-son, step-daughter hated it and wanted to go home!

So now i have 30,000 debt, hardly any work and im paying £800 a month plus to live in Rochdale! yep same rent as Perth!

Is it just me,or does that sound a bit crazy??????

if its any consolation, your rent in Perth would have doubled since 2009 and a mechanics wage certainly wouldn't have - unless of course you fancy the inhospitable conditions of working with your head down a mine! It sucks that you're in debt, but you probably would be in Australia too - it is much more expensive than the UK now.

if its any consolation, your rent in Perth would have doubled since 2009 and a mechanics wage certainly wouldn't have - unless of course you fancy the inhospitable conditions of working with your head down a mine! It sucks that you're in debt, but you probably would be in Australia too - it is much more expensive than the UK now.

Was going to say 800 quid a month in Perth ($1280!) - what were you renting? Here (Brisbane) we pay $2100 for a real dump. It is so hard when your family is divided - you have my sympathy but as poster says, price of living for the average worker in Oz has spiralled, employment much more shaky so I don't view my current prospects in Brisbane any better than they would be at home. I may be wrong of course, but SE UK still seems more bouyant than QLD, even given GFC. Maybe a move from Rochdale may be a sensible one

We first lived in Melbourne ............................... Hated it with a passion , tried another state which was QLD best move we ever did , got married there made some awesome mates , now we live on the Gold coast and keep in touch with our friends from the Sunshine coast , have the best OF BOTH WORLDS NOW , we wouldnt change it for anything , yeh its tough at times but it all takes time adujusting to the Aussie way of doing stuff .The thought of ever moving back to the Uk now simply horrifies me , been here 4 yrs now and defo would not head back , so glad we changed States.Australia is for some of us HOME for others it will never be Home .Doing our Citizenships now and can not wait .Hope you sort everything out , you can always come back one day Good Luck

Guest Guest26012
Average rent it tapping now days is 500-600 a week. About 350-400 quid a week on today's exchange rate.

Yeah, no cheap rentals at the mo in Perth! We're renting our own house back from an investor that bought it from us! We were lucky in that we don't have to find a rental whilst our new house is being built! Scarce rentals at the mo! Real estate agent reckoned 30 to 40 couples turning up at home opens with 6 months rent on the table! It's tough at the moment, pushing up rental prices to the max!

I'm in the same place, whatever I do, I can't change the decision, but it still comes back 2 me that I suggested it in the first place! Now just need to keep strong til we get on the plane in a week & find ways to be positive & block out Oz when we get back. Good luck! I know how much it hurts!