Guest Gollywobbler

Calling Truck Drivers

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Truckers!

Please do not get your hopes up at this very early stage, but I have some information which may be of interest to some of you.

There is a recruitment company which is based in SA, though they have clients all over Australia, I am told. Some of their clients are haulage companies which are crying out for truck drivers.

The problem for truck drivers is that you would need RSMS visas in order to obtain PR in Australia, therefore the hauliers have to be bsed in "regional Australia", I gather. The whole of SA is regional, which is good news because it also seems to be the State with the greatest shortage of truck drivers. However, lots of other parts of Oz are also "regional" and I don't imagine that many haulage compamies are actually based in non-regional areas of Oz.

I gather than for RSMS visas, the Company has to nominate the occupation (I think) and this has to be approved by the relevant Regional Certifying Body.

Historically the problem has been that the Trades Unions which represent truck drivers in Oz are large and powerful. They are totally opposed to adding truck driving to the skills lists because they argue that if the pay & benefits packages offered by the hauliers were better than they are, there would be no shortage of home-grown Aussies willing to drive trucks. The unions fear that if hauliers were able to attract foreign truck drivers it would simply push the pay & benefits packages downwards, putting home-grown Aussies out of work because their jobs would be snapped up by foreign drivers willing to accept virtually any lousy pay/benefits deal in order to get PR in Australia.

I think the Unions are probably right. British drivers might not be willing to accept lousy packages, but the market would undoubtedly be flooded by drivers from countries where there is no welfare state,the general standard of living is low and so forth.

Therefore when the recruitment company told me that their haulier clients are not scared of the Unions, I said, "Not so fast! The Unions are definitely blocking these visas in some way, so if they are not nobbling the haulage companies they must be nobbling someone else higher up in the chain that eventually leads to an RSMS visa."

At this stage, I don't know whether the Regional Certifying Bodies have been refusing to approve the nominations because of pressure from the Unions or whether the Unions are able to get at DIAC instead in some way, later on in the chain.

The recruitment agency has Registered Migration Agent as part of the team so I have asked him to try to find out exactly what is causing the seeming deadlock and whereabouts in the chain it is happening. If we can discover what and where the problem actually is, then there is SLIM possibility that it might be possible to resolve whatever the problem turns out to be.

I do not want you to get your hopes up at this stage, because lots of people have tried to get visas for truck drivers and the majority of the attempts seem to have failed as far as I can discover. The odd few seem to have worked but they are definitely a small minority.

At this stage, though, I aim trying to gauge what sort of interest-level there would be from PiO Members, and I am also interested to hear what any of you may have been told about this in the past - whether by haulage companies, Migration Agents, DIAC or anyone else? The more information I can get about this, the better.

I know that Mr Broughton on here has recently obtained a truck-driving licence in Victoria. Does anybody know what happens if the truck has to go inter-State, though? Does the driver need a valid licence in each of the states that the truck will pass through, meaning multiple licences for the long-distance drivers, please?

Mr Broughton explained to his wife Felicity (the Broughtons) what getting the licence entailed and she tried to explain it but I didn't understand it. Her descriptionis Post No. 6 on the thread below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/26416-hgv-drivers.html

So at this stage I am really looking for (a) interest and (b) feedback, please.

Also, would people be willing to consider SA if that is where the possible jobs turn out to be based?

Many thanks

Gill

Guest notanotherone

hi gill thats sounds a little more promising for us hgv drivers,i'm def up for SA as thats where i wanted to go anyway, i know what your saying about other countries accepting any package thats offered to them as we are inundated with polish drivers here in the uk.

Keep us posted gill cos as usual any info about this is bound to encourage us drivers not to give up at the first hurdle.I'm currenlt waiting on a call from GO MATILDA agency to tell me if its worth going down a different route, or ya never know they might have some new info! cheers mate......jason

Guest roan

Hi Gill,

I have read your post with great interest as we have been looking into this for a while. Any information at all would be really helpful! Other half is a HGV driver & apart from the student visa route this is our only option. I have been in touch with an agent only last week who said he can help (Perth area).

I am waiting to hear back from him as we speak (he did say it is not an easy one).

Many thanks & thanking you in anticipation.

Romy

Guest emmvee

Hi Gollywobbler

I am looking to get over to Oz on a 457 as a hgv driver. I'm quite willing to go anywhere,

Very interested.

Thanx for the detailed info in your post

Guest Gary and Bev

20 years pounding the roads all over europe looking for better life will it be the same old .... in Aus wot about $ eaning 26K could it be better in AUS

I have a HGV Licence until 2012 but have not driven HGV for 20 years. A suitable refresher course would put me back in the swing of things.

I have this week written to BIS Inductrial, Cockburn site, Perth, Bunbury (email) but have received no reply. That was a question to a basic query.

If I don't gt anything with the railways then HGV, or HC / Hm as it is known in Australia, West side, will do nicely.

Pay varies from $19 to $26 n hour. I am a good driver !:twitcy: (And it's also a good job to see a bit of the area you live in as well. Seeing whilst driving)

So anyway I can get out of the Cesspit of Europe and 457 visa help will be nice.

If it happens then it happens. If it doesn't well it doesn't. Amor Fati !!

Hi All truckies,sorry to upset you but no matter what experiance you have you will need to resit your H.G.V in Oz and depending where you live on what runs you do is which state licence you get.

Good luck.

Guest lynneflinn

Gill

my husband is a fuel tanker driver (hgv1) and we are looking to go to Adelaide SA - what do you think the chances are? who is the haulage company that you are refering to and how do you know all this info? We are going to a job expo in Leeds in April and hope this might be usefull to us and we are waiting for a call from Go Matilda too!!! Can you suggest any other info or sites to help us get to OZ

many thanks

Flinny

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Flinny

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

This thread started when a recruitment agency based in Adelaide put a couple of posts on PiO about other things, but when I looked at their website it says they are also looking for truck drivers.

So I asked the Agency whether their haulier clients would be willing to sponsor people for visas because if so, there would be no shortage of British candidates for the jobs.

The recruitment lass was very enthusiastic but the company also has a Registered Migration Agent in tow. I inisted that we got some advice from him before asking truckers to submit CVs to the recruitment lady.

The RMA was deeply pessimistic. He says that loads of home-grown Ozzies have HGV licences but they won't apply for the jobs because the pay & perks package is not attractive, the inter-state drivers work immensely long hours, are away from their families a lot and so forth.

His feeling was that DIAC would not allow hauliers to sponsor HGV drivers when there are so many Ozzie drivers. (The numbers of Ozzie with licences - including migrant Permanent Residents - is easily proven via Department of Transport figures or something similar, apparently.) Matters are not helped by the Unions who represent the Ozzie drivers because they are adamant that opening the doors to foreign drivers would make the whole game even worse than it allegedly already is.

Every year, DIAC and the Unions have a pow-wow about the question of whether to add HGV drivers to the list of recognised skills. I think the last series of meetings was either in December 2007 or January 2008 and the talks may still be on-going - I don't know.

I did a bit of research into this, as follows:

• Tell Google UK to find Google Australia.
  • Tell Google Australia to confine itself to Australian webpages only
  • I think I told it something like Truck drivers + Visas - just play with it, I suggest.

I came across a couple of pdf files which were evidently reports prepared by one of the unions for submission to somebody in the Government (not necessarily DIAC.) They may have used extreme examples but some of the drivers' lives really did sound quite grim.

Also via Google Australia it should be possible to find out about HGV licencing in the different states, what is needed if the driver will be going inter-state and so on.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest lynneflinn

Hi Gill

thanks alot for the info-Ive been doing some digging too.Have a look at www.ministers.sa.gov.au/news and read the report. I didn't hold out much hope before but this looks a bit promising. Also Gill have you heard the rumour that BHP Billiton is supposed to be opening a mine in Adelaide and needing 10,000 truckers. That might be of interest to Jason as he wants SA as well.

thanks

Flinny

Hi Gill

thanks alot for the info-Ive been doing some digging too.Have a look at www.ministers.sa.gov.au/news and read the report. I didn't hold out much hope before but this looks a bit promising. Also Gill have you heard the rumour that BHP Billiton is supposed to be opening a mine in Adelaide and needing 10,000 truckers. That might be of interest to Jason as he wants SA as well.

thanks

Flinny

Adelaide. 10,000 truckers. Very interesting. As a route to Oz I'm interested.

If it happens then it happens. If it doesn't well it doesn't. Amor Fati !!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Flinny

The recruitment agency whom I had some chats with is called Global TradeSearch. Their website is here:

Global TradeSearch Recruitment - providing skilled trades people and professionals for the Australian workforce

The recruitment lass is called Mrs Sandy Coates (or rather, she is the one I have exchanged PMs etc with - there are probably others in the recruitment team as well.)

Sandy is very nice, though. I have had no contact with any of her colleagues apart from Richard Coates, Sandy's husband, who is the relevant Registered Migration Agent in the context of this thread.

His direct contact details are here:

Migration Agents Registration Authority=

Sandy and I were very enthusiastic about the idea that we might be able to help truckers, but Richard was very pessimistic, as I have said elsewhere on this thread.

At the time, either in January or very early Feb 2008, Sandy was about to come to the UK. I don't know whether she was coming over for the expo in Edinburgh the following week. I don't know how long she was planning to come to the UK for, either.

So Sandy was too busy to look into the truck driver question any further herself at that moment and also she mentioned that the company had just been awarded a major recruitment contract to find staff for a new mining project.

Global TradeSearch place staff in jobs all over Australia, not just SA. So I have no idea whether Sandy's client is the company that you have mentioned.

The Global TradeSearch website does insist that they want "qualified staff." When truck-driving is not even a recognised skill according to the ASRI list, it is difficult to know how to present a truck-driver who does not yet hold all the relevant Australian licences, I suspect.

I don't know. If BHP Billiton need 10,000 truckers then DIAC would have to do something, I suspect. Outlook Express, in its wisdom, has managed to delete or otherwise hide all the e-mails I received during January so I no longer have Richard's e-mail to me. However, he did give me a figure for the number of Australian Citizens and PRs who hold truck-driving licences. I can't remember the figure but I suspect it was not high enough to be able to produce enough drivers willing to soak up the demand from BHP Billiton.

Plus a company which is masterminding a project so vast that it needs 10,000 drivers alone must surely have pretty massive clout with the Immigration people both at State and at Federal Government levels, I should think. After all, 10,000 drivers can't work a mine on their own so how many staff - in all fields - does this new mine need? Where are they all going to come from? Where are they all going to live? The men doing FIFO on their own might not mind pre-fab static caravans but that won't do for their wives and children as well, the children will need schools, the whole community will need shops, doctors and so on. It must be a simply massive overall undertaking I would imagine.

I don't know any more than I have told you and I stress that BHP Biliton are not necessarily the mining clients (un-named) whom Sandy mentioned to me.

However, it may do no harm to ask Sandy and maybe also Richard, I suggest.

Best wishes

Gill

hi all

just to let you all know, in perth the uk lgv1 licence will be changed to a medium rigid licence =8 ton truck,

scott

I have the body of an eighteen year old. I keep it in the fridge.

Spike Milligan

Guest Gollywobbler
hi all

just to let you all know, in perth the uk lgv1 licence will be changed to a medium rigid licence =8 ton truck,

scott

Hi Scott

Thanks for this information. I'm a woman and I have enough trouble driving a small hatchback so I have no idea about anything bigger & heavier.

A recent documentary in the UK showed scenes of a huge iron ore mine somewhere in WA. The largest iron ore mine in the world, apparently.

The dumper trucks used in this mine were IMMENSE. I'd say that each wheel was at least 7 ft high because the driver was able to walk right under the truck in order to look au at the engine, checking for oil leaks etc, and at least one TV cameraman was able to get under the truck too. They said that this one truck, fully-laden, is heavier than a 747. I know as well that the contractors who own and run these trucks have engineers chasing all over the world trying to find spare parts for them, which apparently are scarce.

Is such a truck a HGV or is it something else, please? Obviously it stays within the site.

Also, you have said that UK HGV1 = medium rigid 8 tons in Oz.

Using that analagy, what would a 2 or 3 trailer road train be, roughly, please?

Many thanks

Gill

Guest lynneflinn

Thanks for the info Gill, Ive just emailed Sandy to see if its the same contract. She might be able to throw some light on the situation. In the meantime I am going to do more digging and Im waiting for Darrell (TA) to get back in contact early next week, he might know a way forward for truckers - we'll see. Ill keep my fingers and everything else crossed........could be painful

cheers Flinny

Hi

Oz Truck Licences Are,l R =light Rigid, M R = Medium Rigid, Hr =heavy Rigid, Hc=heavy Combination ,mc =multi-combination,

Scott

PS THIS IS IN WA , NOT SURE ABOUT OTHER STATES

I have the body of an eighteen year old. I keep it in the fridge.

Spike Milligan

20 years pounding the roads all over europe looking for better life will it be the same old .... in Aus wot about $ eaning 26K could it be better in AUS

Hi i'm now retired been driveing heavy trucks in Aus for 20 years.The transport industry in Aus is the pits.Long long hours very little pay.The worst bosses, that want the goods delivered yesterday,interstate drivers are on a diet of cafine.Alot of drivers in Aus are owner drivers .But they are on slave wages,it's not like driveing in the Uk It's dog eat dog. If anyone wants to come over here to drive, stay off the roads.It's a nightmare.Unless u can get driveing for a oil company.(I drove 4 Shell Oil for 12 years) Best to go to WA See if you can get on at the mines.Realy Good Pay.But u have to have a Heavy Transport, Aussie licence.at least.

Guest wayniexagt

well im here in bunbury driving a HR . been here 8 mths and would love to get PR .....

and as regards the hourly rate we are all on trip rate ...... im so if you know what your doing ive worked it out to be nearly $50 an hour on some of the runs ... you take the good with the bad.... im doing about half the hours of what i used to do back in the uk for around £2/300 a week more in oz.

please keep us posted on this thread ... we all know its a long shot but at least something is better than nothing !

Hi i'm now retired been driveing heavy trucks in Aus for 20 years.The transport industry in Aus is the pits.Long long hours very little pay.The worst bosses, that want the goods delivered yesterday,interstate drivers are on a diet of cafine.Alot of drivers in Aus are owner drivers .But they are on slave wages,it's not like driveing in the Uk It's dog eat dog. If anyone wants to come over here to drive, stay off the roads.It's a nightmare.Unless u can get driveing for a oil company.(I drove 4 Shell Oil for 12 years) Best to go to WA See if you can get on at the mines.Realy Good Pay.But u have to have a Heavy Transport, Aussie licence.at least.

Your bringing up a thread thats over 2 yrs old :wacko:

Are you really a truck driver? Whats a heavy truck????

Long hours for little pay?????? mmm you must not of been a good driver.....

I'd respond but your post is pure **** :wubclub:

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

Guest wayniexagt

oops i never checked the date ........ my bad

Your bringing up a thread thats over 2 yrs old :wacko:

Are you really a truck driver? Whats a heavy truck????

Long hours for little pay?????? mmm you must not of been a good driver.....

I'd respond but your post is pure **** :wubclub:

What a pack of wanker's

A heavy truck is what it says on my licence HEAVY VEHICLE DRIVER LICENCE

THATS RIGHT long hours little pay 75c per k is not alot of money.nothing to do with ability( You IDIOT)

W:biglaugh:ouldn't want to here your response,as you have no idea.your pure ****.

What a pack of wanker's

A heavy truck is what it says on my licence HEAVY VEHICLE DRIVER LICENCE

THATS RIGHT long hours little pay 75c per k is not alot of money.nothing to do with ability( You IDIOT)

W:biglaugh:ouldn't want to here your response,as you have no idea.your pure ****.

75cents per K is that right???? so travelling 1 way from Melbourne to Sydney 873 k = $654.75 it takes around 10 hours but we'll say 11 to be on the safe side so that equals out to $59.52 an hour........... Thats not to bad

Now most truck drivers would do 3 return trips a week so their before tax wage is $3928.50 per week!!!! then you get your nights allowences on top of that!!!! not bad for an unskilled worker........... but hey if thats a crappy wage respect :notworthy:

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

Guest wayniexagt

and when your batting along the freeway you can do 2ks per minute ........ . throw me them long distance runs !!

I was looking at this, and thought there might be a job in this for me. I currently have a C+E (HGV1) and I have been told I will have to do my test again on aussie roads, which wouldn't be a bad thing for me. A refresher would be good as I haven't really driven C+E since my test.

Guest wayniexagt

possible mate . but also did you know that on the HR (uk class 2) that you can tow atrailer up to 8tons aswell !