Where does everyone live in Sydney? Which suburb? Dave the sad anorak wants to know!

MARYROSE02

Hi

Me and the family (wife, 3 kids and dog) are looking to emigrate next year (sept/October) - and was recommended Collaroy/Dee Why/Narrabeen type area.

We want to be near the beach really, with a quieter, more chilled/family vibe - BUT - I also want to be able to commute to work by public transport and not spend more than 45 mins on each trip in/out of the city. It also needs to be affordable (we will be working as a senior nurse and graphic designer)

Does anyone here have any ideas about this? any info would be much appreciated.

I currently commute 70-80 minutes each way to work here in the UK and if I am honest I don't really enjoy it - therefore cutting commute back is a big thing. if i could do it in 30 or 40 minutes that would be great.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Me and the family (wife, 3 kids and dog) are looking to emigrate next year (sept/October) - and was recommended Collaroy/Dee Why/Narrabeen type area.

We want to be near the beach really, with a quieter, more chilled/family vibe - BUT - I also want to be able to commute to work by public transport and not spend more than 45 mins on each trip in/out of the city. It also needs to be affordable (we will be working as a senior nurse and graphic designer)

I currently commute 70-80 minutes each way to work here in the UK and if I am honest I don't really enjoy it - therefore cutting commute back is a big thing. if i could do it in 30 or 40 minutes that would be great.

Head south of the city. Better public transport than where you mentioned, busses and trains not just besses where you mentioned.

Hi I live in Mortdale 2223 (been here for 2 months) and before that Oatley (2223 also) for a month.

I'll let you research the areas as ou obviously enjoy it but know some interesting facts lol. I do think people automatically gravitate to the north shore. I've not been up thee myself yet so I may not realise the reason why. But down here we have fantastic facilities and good transport. I can be in the city within 40 mins door to station and we have a large 3 bed apartment for $500pw. Great community full of families. Oatley is very affluent and has a villagy feel. Mortdale is made up mainly of apartment vblocks and has a real buzz to it in the evening- lots of eateries and during the day there are plenty of great shopping streets- mortdale, penshurt and of course Hurstville just a few moments drive away. We can access the beaches within 20 mins- Cronulla or Eastern beaches and we have direct access to the Georges river in various pleasure grounds around the area. Parks are fantastic down here. Houses within the near vicinity look relatively affordable with places on the west and south of the shire being $600-700K and Padstow/ Riverwood to our west can be even cheaper at time.

Hi I live in Mortdale 2223 (been here for 2 months) and before that Oatley (2223 also) for a month.

I'll let you research the areas as ou obviously enjoy it but know some interesting facts lol. I do think people automatically gravitate to the north shore. I've not been up thee myself yet so I may not realise the reason why. But down here we have fantastic facilities and good transport. I can be in the city within 40 mins door to station and we have a large 3 bed apartment for $500pw. Great community full of families. Oatley is very affluent and has a villagy feel. Mortdale is made up mainly of apartment vblocks and has a real buzz to it in the evening- lots of eateries and during the day there are plenty of great shopping streets- mortdale, penshurt and of course Hurstville just a few moments drive away. We can access the beaches within 20 mins- Cronulla or Eastern beaches and we have direct access to the Georges river in various pleasure grounds around the area. Parks are fantastic down here. Houses within the near vicinity look relatively affordable with places on the west and south of the shire being $600-700K and Padstow/ Riverwood to our west can be even cheaper at time.

Yes, I like those areas too, and often recommend where my brother lives at Picnic Point, which is just a little further out along the East Hills railway line, close to Revesby, Panania & East Hills stations. I often drive via Padstow on my way to my brothers, depending on which route I am taking, down Canterbury Road and left at ?Davies Rd? is it? as opposed to left at The River Road, same if I'm on the M5 too.

Hi

I have a soft spot for Narrabeen, as I lived there on two occasions in the 1980's. The express bus used to do the trip to Wynyard in about 35-40 minutes then, although I must admit I did not care for them, and I moved to Surry Hills to avoid commuting. (Ironically, I now commute to Penrith which is twice the distance I used to travel from Narrabeen, although it is by train rather than bus, and if I get the Blue Mountains trains, they do the trip from Central to Penrith in 50 minutes.)

[h=3]From:[/h] Narrabeen

[h=3]To:[/h]

Wynyard Station, Sydney

[h=3]When:[/h]

Thursday, 12 December 2013

[h=3]Leave after:[/h]

6:00am

[h=3]Mode:[/h]

Regular Buses, Trains, Ferries, STA School Bus

[h=3]Accessibility:[/h]

All Services

What is easy access / wheelchair accessible?

Change to show:

btn_easy_access_only.gif

[TABLE=class: dataTbl botmgn_10]

[TR]

[TH]Option[/TH]

[TH]Depart[/TH]

[TH]Arrive[/TH]

[TH]Travel time[/TH]

[TH]Transport[/TH]

[TH][/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 [/TD]

[TD] 6:01am [/TD]

[TD] 6:53am [/TD]

[TD] 52mins [/TD]

[TD]icon_bus_s.gif[/TD]

[TD]view_trip_link.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 2 [/TD]

[TD] 6:08am [/TD]

[TD] 7:03am [/TD]

[TD] 55mins [/TD]

[TD]icon_bus_s.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 3 [/TD]

[TD] 6:16am [/TD]

[TD] 7:09am [/TD]

[TD] 53mins [/TD]

[TD]icon_bus_s.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 4 [/TD]

[TD] 6:19am [/TD]

[TD] 7:14am [/TD]

[TD] 55mins [/TD]

[TD]icon_bus_s.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 5 [/TD]

[TD] 6:23am [/TD]

[TD] 7:16am [/TD]

[TD] 53mins [/TD]

[TD]icon_bus_s.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

ah thanks - how quick would it be to get into or somewhere like Surry Hills from those places you recommend? is this by train?

ah thanks - how quick would it be to get into or somewhere like Surry Hills from those places you recommend? is this by train?

Just checked trains and it would be either redfern or central you would need. Both on the same line (Mortdale is the stop beside Oatley on the same line)

For me to walk to the station from a good way across Mortdale is about 5 mins. There isn't much more beyond me before you turn into Peakhurst- and when I was in Oatley I would have to allow 10 mins to walk to the station and I was at the extreme of Oatley. Some of Oatley West ma take 15 mins- but then you can find you are a closer to Mortdale station then anyway. If that makes sense!

They are every 10 mins approx at that time in the morning s0

8.17 gets you to Redfern 8.39

8.27 train gets you into Redfern at 8.49

and the 8.37 at 8.59 etc.Central is only a few minutes further than Redfern.

I will be commuting to Kings Cross and I can allow myself an hour door to door but train site says 55 mins allowing 15 mins to walk to the station! I won't take that long!

Hope that helps

ooh and another thing (I sound like i'm doing a sales pitch lol) but securing a rental , certainly in Mortdale, was easy. Less so in Oatley. We had a short term rental which we paid 3 months in advance so secured quite easily. Sadly they decided it was more short term than they originally said and we were left with no real work lined up no advance rent and trying to find a place. We applied for a few large houses- 4 beds $670 region and got turned down cos everyone wanted them. But first unit we applied for we got. Nicely fitted and freshly painted as I said for $510 pw. But I have since found out the two for rent in this block had been vacant for a few months and another I looked at that was over priced is still vacant 2 months on! The opens were busy but noone was really applying. I believe the north shore is a bit of a scrabble for places.

Mortdale and Oatley are on the Eastern Subs, line aren't they? So you don't have to change if you are going to Kings cross.

Surry Hills you can get of at Central and walk. I am sitting outside Central now having coffee after I got off the Penrith train. Campbeltown train just pulling out on Airport and East Hills line. I, think that one misses out Revesby and Panania but stops at East Hills, takes about 30/35 mins?