Bulk bill doctors in canberra

Laguna

After a physical assessment at the ballet school my 14 year old daughter is joining I was told some worrying news that she may have scoliosis and need to get it checked out. Having only been in Canberra for just under two weeks I am struggling to find a bulk bill doctor that we can go and see. Can anybody please point me in the right direction. To be honest I cannot afford to pay $80 each time I take one of my three children to the doctor and only get $36 back from Medicare as that is what has been told to me by two doctor's receptionists. Before moving to Canberra we were in Brisbane and went to a bulk bill doctor. Many thanks.

• 6 months later...
Hi Quoll,

What do you mean by suck up the co-payment?

Most doctors charge you around $60 of which you get a refund from Medicare of around $30. The $30 you are out of pocket is the co-payment. The system was designed that patients paid something out of pocket for each GP visit. Bulk Billing (which seems to be the sole aim of Pommy migrants - they're the only group I know that are so determined to get it!) was designed to be a safety net for low income earners who couldn't afford to visit the doctor but its been adapted somewhat so that big conglomerates often with transient and often overseas doctors can make a motza. The Medical Centres generally don't offer continuity of doctors and you get who is free.

Most doctors charge you around $60 of which you get a refund from Medicare of around $30. The $30 you are out of pocket is the co-payment. The system was designed that patients paid something out of pocket for each GP visit. Bulk Billing (which seems to be the sole aim of Pommy migrants - they're the only group I know that are so determined to get it!) was designed to be a safety net for low income earners who couldn't afford to visit the doctor but its been adapted somewhat so that big conglomerates often with transient and often overseas doctors can make a motza. The Medical Centres generally don't offer continuity of doctors and you get who is free.

Im going to jump in and agree here (whilst putting my neck on the line!!), there is a belief here in WA it's the POMS ('m one!) who seek out the bulk billing doctors. it's a different health system, yes as a POM it takes some getting used to paying, but I'm a believer of the OZ system having had medical issues, I've paid but I've been seen and had my results within the day, I love my GP, we have a great relationship, he knows me, my daughter my husband, he's so thorough, I go in with a pimple, he's double checked me for melanoma, I'm usually in there for at least 15 minutes of superb service, I think the $80 minus the $30 rebate is money well spent and if I call at 8 am, I'm guaranteed I get to see him before lunch the same day. I know money can be a struggle but I can't find a better thing to spend it on than mine and my families health.

I will also add that working in the Health system and understanding how GPs are paid here, it's NOT like the UK, your bulk bill GP doesn't get paid a great deal compared to the years of medical studies he has done, certainly not paid as highly as your NHS GP's, you patients are his bread and butter hence the thorough service, but the gap between bulk bill and fees is vast and it may mean he has to see many more patients in a much quicker time than he would otherwise like. I know what trainee GP's earn and it's quite shockingly low, you'd be surprised.

LOL Jessie, I've talked about this with Aussie mates and TBH they are a tad gobsmacked that anyone would actively seek out a bulk billing doctor, as am I! Must be more Australian than I thought!

A few comments!! Im not a bulk biller, by defaullt found a fab GP but he charges $80 a go, I soooo wish i could have found him and had that service in UK, id have HAPPILY paid!!

heres why people look for bulk billing1800 Bulk Bill | Connecting you to bulk billed health care

Not the way id approach my health care but hey ho, each to their own.

Quoll, I really have to ask the obvious question, you very rightly are pro co contribution, you do clearly oppose bulk billing ( I do actually, it does wind me up when POMS actively seek it).

I understand you are in the UK now, are you enjoying the 'free'dom of the NHS? Are you co-contributing, or are you full fee paying as an aussie citizen who openly states you are temporarily in the UK, (your hubby intends to return...) you would never, under the comments youve made, pass the UK habitually resident test and therefore

shouldn't be entitled to free NHS assistance. So it begs the question, to compare with POMS in OZ, are you getting your healthcare free of charge or do you co-contribute......??

Having re-read my comment i will quantify it...there are times and i soo know it when you have to make a choice if you can afford to go to the GP, for myself there has been moments when the $80 (the refund goes in the bank the next day) I needed to go weekly for INR tests but sometimes so skint I didnt go, the GP realised my dilemma and started to bulk bill on the times i was desperate, but as far as my child goes, if she was ill it was beyond question, we went, i told the GP in the consult i was struggling to pay, can i pay later, he just said ill bulk bill it, its a child for gawds sake, dont ever hesitate to bring in your child, i will always bulk bill if youre struggling. Those times thankfully are long gone but....a point i felt was worth making.

I was thinking about this the other day as another pom suggested looking for a bulk bill doctor.

After reading this post and doing some research i think i will go for a co-contribution now.

I got peed off in the UK with seeing below standard international doctors who dont have time of energy to correctly diagnose you and find the solution to your problem.

I dont want that. I dont want to my doctor missing sometimes because he doesn't have a jar of glue.

$50 dollars is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. A family of 4 can probably run up $50 in MacDonald and lets be honest, what's more important?

I was thinking about this the other day as another pom suggested looking for a bulk bill doctor.

After reading this post and doing some research i think i will go for a co-contribution now.

I got peed off in the UK with seeing below standard international doctors who dont have time of energy to correctly diagnose you and find the solution to your problem.

I dont want that. I dont want to my doctor missing sometimes because he doesn't have a jar of glue.

$50 dollars is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. A family of 4 can probably run up $50 in MacDonald and lets be honest, what's more important?

Agree, but how do you compare the quality of doctors? If you pay, are you guaranteed a better doctor?

Agree, but how do you compare the quality of doctors? If you pay, are you guaranteed a better doctor?

Surely you'll know if the doctor you choose is better? If not you go elsewhere

Let's not forget though that it's a different ball game when you have a chronic medical issue that requires regular doctor's visits. Would you still want to pay $80 each time if you had to see a doctor twice a month or more?

It doesn't cost $80 as you get the rebate

$80 or $50 or $30... I'm just saying... I can see how it would be an issue for people who don't earn as much as some of us on this board are lucky to have if they have to have numerous doctor appointments.

If you have a health card because you are a low earner you are bulk billed. There is also a tax rebate if you spend more than a certain amount on medical expenses in a year - around $1200 I think and that includes medications - there is also a PBS safety net so once you get to that you pay a reduced rate for meds.

We have chronic health issues and have hit the Medicare safety net pretty much every year since we moved here. Having chronic health issues is exceedingly expensive here. We changed to the West Belconnen Health Co-Op and pay an annual fee and get all appointments bulk billed. We get to see our choice of Doctor pretty quickly and have been happy with the care to date. Makes sense for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• 1 month later...

Laguna just fInd a GP you are happy with!! I have heard some horror stories about GP's not only from Bulk Billers but from subsidised only GP's. Don't be embarrassed by having to Bulk Bill I'm sure the majority of Ozzies while living in the UK make the most of the freebie NHS. I have heard there is a female doctor at Ginnindeera (Bulk Billers) that is meant to be one of the best GP's. The wait can be atrocious but our receptionist at work goes there (an Ozzie I might add) and she phones first and finds out how many people are there and how many doctors are working. If the wait is going to be hours she books in and comes back to work for an hour or so. She requests to see her preferred GP and never had an issue seeing them. You know what's best for you and your family :-)

I have read through these posts and I may be mistaken but I feel there is a certain snobbery with some members who feel that no one should visit a GP who bulk bills and indeed there are those on here who infer that you get inferior service and treatment from a bulk billing doctor.

Members who have chronic illness or have children can find the cost of visiting a GP prohibitive, personally I visit a GP at least twice a month and my wife will also visit at least twice a month, because of our conditions we are automatically bulk billed by a majority of doctors, if we had to pay then we would find a cost of $120 a month after medicare refund prohibitive and we would cut down on visits to save money and no one should have to cut down on health care. We normally hit the safety net by June each year and because we both have health care cards we do not pay for medication for about 6 months a year.

If you have children or chronic illness then sort out a Bulk charging GP and ignore the moaners who feel no one should be bulk billed. If you have a good income and can afford to pay for your GP then good for you, not everyone is in that position

I wonder how many have returned to the UK after years away are paying for their GP Visits or are they quite happy to just take what the NHS has to offer, even if they have not paid towards the scheme for years.

Just a tip, if you want info on a GP ask at the local pharmacy who they recommend and who will bulk bill for kids. They will normally point you in the right direction...