Homesick after 20 days?!?!?!

phillllip

I'm the one that would cut of my right arm for a visa.australia is a fantastic country.you can really make a fantastic life for yourself.you have to put a lot of energy and effort in life to get the best out of everything .im a strong believer that the settling in period is between 2 and 5 years. ( not 20 days) when emergrating .time is a great healer hang in there and please give it more time.i live in the uk.i went to oz in 1997 on a 1 year holiday visa fell in love with the country.my biggest regret was returning to the uk.but i am looking at visas for me and my family.my advice is you only get one shot in life .life is not a rehearsal just give it more time a couple of years then if u haven't settled then go home .goodluck hope u stay.

I'm the one that would cut of my right arm for a visa.australia is a fantastic country.you can really make a fantastic life for yourself.you have to put a lot of energy and effort in life to get the best out of everything .im a strong believer that the settling in period is between 2 and 5 years. ( not 20 days) when emergrating .time is a great healer hang in there and please give it more time.i live in the uk.i went to oz in 1997 on a 1 year holiday visa fell in love with the country.my biggest regret was returning to the uk.but i am looking at visas for me and my family.my advice is you only get one shot in life .life is not a rehearsal just give it more time a couple of years then if u haven't settled then go home .goodluck hope u stay.

UK is a fantastic country also...it what suits the individual.

If its football you miss then as Paul1Perth says - get foxtel when you have a job, in fact I'm in agreement with him and cannot see what your problem is - why would you bother coming here spending all that money then giving up after such a short time for such weak reasons. Harden the **** up mate.

Personally I think you're trolling but if you're serious and the daylight hours arn't to your liking move south - Tasmania has long summers and short winter days just like the old dart. In fact, its a lot like Bulgaria down there but with even more gypsies!

Is it culture shock you are suffering from, Phil? Understandable in Brisbane I think. Lovely sunshine, lovely life but so very different from a place like Bulgaria. With time you will probably feel a lot better- especially when you make a couple of friends. Hang in there mate, the country needs your skills!

Thanks everyone for the advices. By the way the site you are suggesting for the Bulgarian community hasn't been updated since 2009. I can get in touch with them anyway. I bought my ticket so in 10 days I'll be home. I think that only couples should make this big move, so if I get married I might come back. There is no point to stay here with no family around. Thanks again for all the posts in the thread.

Hi Phillip,

to some extent your story is similar to mine, with the difference I am married and with two small babies.

I remember when you applied for the 175 visa, we had practically the same timeline, getting our visa granted in the same period of time.

I'm an engineer as well and now I'm in Perth since the last February 11th, alone...my family is in Italy, I decided to come here to secure a job, get e rental and come back to take my family here (they have to validate by the end of May).

I'm finding it difficult and i feel lonely, the last week I was in tears because my little daughter turned 1 and I'm at the other side of the world...

But a better future for my daughters and our family as a whole is my main motivation....and I am giving everything to succeed.

I had 3 job interviews so far, one of the Companies called me twice today for additional information, it's a FIFO role (not family friendly at all), but it's well paid and I have to get rid of the 'lack of Australian experience' status as soon as possible...

I was then called by a recruiter for a role here in the city (around 100K AUD per annum, not the best for a family of four...but again...good to get started...)., and for several other roles I'm potentially close to the interview phase.

I am spending my time in library, refreshing my studies and knowledge waiting for technical interviews, meantime I apply online for positions in my role...some days are frustrating not hearing anything back from anyone, and I didn't think it took so long to secure a job, but actually I'm here only for a little more than two weeks...

I've given myself 6 months, if I will not succeed I will come back to my normal life, my employer at home gave me 6 months unpaid leave, and will be more than happy to take me back, however I honestly don't want to...and I'm doing everything to be successfull here.

I will always miss my parents, friends, the Italian food, history, arts and culture...but I have a goal, I want to have a better future for my family and my daughters, progress in my career adding one of the big Australian projects in my CV, and eventually stay here forever.

If I'll be successfull....fine, if not....I'll go back to my normal life without regrets...

Good luck Phillip,

I hope that you are happier once you're back home. I know I will be once I leave this place.

Be proud of yourself for trying such a big move on your own and remember that in the 22 months that I have been here I have not met one couple that moved here and both liked it, most people only stay as they think it's a better place to raise children.

I can't wait to leave and get on with my life, very jealous of you!

Bye Jonathan

Hi Phillip,

to some extent your story is similar to mine, with the difference I am married and with two small babies.

I remember when you applied for the 175 visa, we had practically the same timeline, getting our visa granted in the same period of time.

I'm an engineer as well and now I'm in Perth since the last February 11th, alone...my family is in Italy, I decided to come here to secure a job, get e rental and come back to take my family here (they have to validate by the end of May).

I'm finding it difficult and i feel lonely, the last week I was in tears because my little daughter turned 1 and I'm at the other side of the world...

But a better future for my daughters and our family as a whole is my main motivation....and I am giving everything to succeed.

I had 3 job interviews so far, one of the Companies called me twice today for additional information, it's a FIFO role (not family friendly at all), but it's well paid and I have to get rid of the 'lack of Australian experience' status as soon as possible...

I was then called by a recruiter for a role here in the city (around 100K AUD per annum, not the best for a family of four...but again...good to get started...)., and for several other roles I'm potentially close to the interview phase.

I am spending my time in library, refreshing my studies and knowledge waiting for technical interviews, meantime I apply online for positions in my role...some days are frustrating not hearing anything back from anyone, and I didn't think it took so long to secure a job, but actually I'm here only for a little more than two weeks...

I've given myself 6 months, if I will not succeed I will come back to my normal life, my employer at home gave me 6 months unpaid leave, and will be more than happy to take me back, however I honestly don't want to...and I'm doing everything to be successfull here.

I will always miss my parents, friends, the Italian food, history, arts and culture...but I have a goal, I want to have a better future for my family and my daughters, progress in my career adding one of the big Australian projects in my CV, and eventually stay here forever.

If I'll be successfull....fine, if not....I'll go back to my normal life without regrets...

I was a little like you for a while, I had my family here though so a lot easier. We came in 92 and I was out of work for 5 months. I used to stay in waiting for the phone call at first and it was driving me crazy. I ended up getting an answer phone, so if someone rang I wouldn't miss it and went out and bought a 2nd hand cheap pushbike. It was a lifesaver. I used to put the 2 year old on the back of the bike and just go out to see some of Perth and confirm why we had emigrated. When work eventually did come along I missed the days out with my youngster. We certainly gave those bike paths a good going over and it kept me sane and stopped me worrying.

Good luck with the job leads $100k in the City is a decent salary. Perth is a much better place to be, job wise, than it was in 92 mate.

Hi,

I moved to Melbourne only 27 days ago on my own, I'm 29 and I have also had lows out here, I miss my family so much it actually hurts sometimes but then I have amazing days and I now how proud they are of me, I really think 20 days isn't long enough and you should keep going a little longer, it will get better and if in 3 months you still feel the same then go home but I gaurantee you won't. I have the most amazing family and friends back home, a business that I sold and a house that I owned and I have given it all up so if I can do it, you can. My parents said before i came here that you have to give it a minimum of 3 months anything sooner than that and you really didn't experience it. Go to the beach, watch the sun set and think about it, I have been writing a diary since being here and I find that helps.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the posts. I've been home for almost 2.5 months. I think I made the right move to come back home. I talk to some people who are in Australia and everyone is stuggling to find a job. People start general jobs, just to have income. I hope they all have luck. I should admit the following mistakes I made: I was too proud to start any job, and I was looking only for electrical engineer jobs and failed. I didn't get an email or a phone call. I spent some time preparing myself for the interviews in the library /all american textbooks there/. The good think was the university library was free and friendly to use, even though I'm not a student. Another big mistake was the apartment - I rent a room in a house with the idea that I'm gonna have some people around - it actually didn't work out.

Now, when I look back, I think that I was not prepared enough to move to Australia. I'm thinking to give it a second chance. I have some 16k$ savings that I can spare on a second trip. This time my target will be most probably Melbourne. The problem is that with the savings I have I should made it work this time. I feel pretty happy right now in Bulgaria. But unfortunately I can't see the bright future here, I'm worried about the whole EU. I'm not ready to leave now and I'm gonna spend a lot of time and effort to try to secure a job before going to Australia. I understand that big firms in Australia hire people with special skills on temp visas from overseas and actually exploit them - it doesn't sound fare to me, but I'll live with it, Australia doesn't own me anything. I'm thinking about my next trip maybe in a year, winter of 2014.

I was going to write an update a month ago. But I think it's necessary to keep people posted about different problems they might have. I should add about the job search, that I applied for more than 150 jobs while in Brisbane and maybe around 300 before going to Australia. Maybe my CV wasn't that good, maybe Bulgaria sounded too much unknown and risky, maybe the job market was tight at the moment /due to uncertainty before the elections in late 2013/. I dont' know the reason, maybe it;s a mix of the above. But the truth is that nobody called or emailed, even to ask 'who is you?' I didn't call either, which I was supposed to do, just to check it out. I had to apply for some other jobs just to check out the interview process, like labourer, general helper. The other thing I missed in my previous post is that about the rent: I stayed in hotel for 4 days and rented a room. It sounds more right to rent a place for 2-3 months, before arriving. And than look for a place where you might think is your place. In the Brisbane area I found a lot of really nice neighbourhoods, which match my 'dream' criteria. And prices were even less than the 195$/week I was paying for a room downtown. And the last thing is sports, I wasn't persistent enough into getting into sports. I actually bought a basketball ball, but played just once. I should had gone to the gym as well and search the web and facebook for some soccer or basketball clubs/games.

It is great that you are reflecting on what you could have done differently, I don't think you stayed long enough to know whether Australia is for you or not. it's took me 4 years to make that decision.

If you are happy in your life in Bulgaria then why fix what isn't (yet) broken. I don't know enough about EU politics but Bulgarias acceptance into the EEA has to be a good thing? I know you have no desire to live/work in the UK but it remains an option and even a year could improve your English significantly, which could have been an issue in securing work in Australia. Not that the UK treats its Engineers well :(

If you do decide to return to Australia look carefully at the requirements for electrical work in each state - it differs and some are easier than others. You MAY find WA suits you better as there are significant numbers of Europeans, my son plays and my OH coaches football and virtually every EU member state is represented, oh and our house backs onto reserve with a basketball arena :) Ultimately if you are passionate about things that are not well represented in Australia you may find it's not for you. people will say you have to find things to replace them but my answer to that is 'why?' If the UK (in my case) is better at providing what I want then I'll choose to live there thanks.

I do realise it is different for you, we have friends here from Poland and despite being pretty negative about Australia, they know they are better off here and therefore accept the drawbacks - they can't face the thought of migrating to another country so plan on staying here. Other friends came to Australia from South Africa and again don't care for it and are now heading to the UK. Everybody is different, wants different things and prioritises different things.

Good luck :)

Hi Philllip,

I did almost the same things you did when you were here, but with a better luck.

I gave myself 10 weeks to secure a job, I was in Perth and fafter 5 weeks I found the job in my occupation in Brisbane.

I then moved here in Queensland, and did my best at work, my employer is giving me more responsibilities and people at work are trusting me more and more.

I got a rental and flew back to my country in Europe for one week to get my family and my babies...and to take my dog to the airport for her trip here to Australia...

Now all my family is here, my dog will be discharged from the quarantine this weekend, I have a good work, my eldest daughter is in kindergarten, we are settling, except for the fact we do not have friends...

It will take time, I already miss everything at home, but we are enjoying very much our new life and so far we have been successful...time will tell if this is the place we want to stay permanently or if we will be willing to come back..

Cheers.