Homesick after 20 days?!?!?!

phillllip

I arrived in Brisbane on 30th Jan 2013 and I've been here for 20 days. I was doing ok, but since yesterday I'm thinking only about home. I'm alright that I don't feel happy now, I mean I knew it was going to be hard the first 2 months. But I'm 31 single, still looking for a job, with a few contacts. I have the feeling that I'm not going to find my happiness in Australia. I'm from Ruse, Bulgaria and even though my home country is much poorer and worse organized than Australia - I'm thinking to go back home. I have what to do at home /help dad with business/, enjoy my sports /football, basketball/ - I watched a downloaded game the other day /Manchester - Real/ and I feeled scary that this is going to be for the rest of my life, looking for a wife etc. I like watching football /I'm going to the Roars game tomorow/ but I'm not able to watch the European games, Champions League, Premier League, La Liga etc. The good think is that my visa expires in 2017, I guess my entry actually activated my permanent resident visa. I miss my family /my tears go when i write that/, the friends, the real sports, the language /my english is very good, but still a second one/. It's going to turn an expensive trip, but you this what money are for - to be made and spent. I'm planning to go home in 2-3 weeks /let's first talk to my family today/. I applied for Medicare and tax file number two weeks ago so i'm expecting the letters this week, I scheduled a driving test in 10 days to get a driving license /but i'll probably cancel this one/. There is no point to leave right away, so I'll give myself 2 weeks to go to the Australian Zoo, Gold Coast and do other siteseeing in the Brisbane area. I really like the weather here, the people and the city looks pretty nice, but I really don't like that it gets dark at 18:30 and this is the whole year /17-18:45/. I was in the States for 27 months in my early twenties - I had struggle back then as well, but I had a more clear goal, stay for a while and save money. Now I don't really know what I'm doing here. What do you think, any advice?

I think you are being hasty given that you were feeling ok up till yesterday.

I don't think you can honestly know after 20 days and one day of 'homesickness'. You've yet to find a job and get yourself settled so feelings are bound to run high while finding your feet.

Personally I'd give it longer, keep looking for work, seeing if once things start to fall into place you start to feel differently. If you don't then, then to me that gives a clearer answer, but right now, this early on in every aspect, I don't think you can know for certain and you are not even attempting to give it a chance. But only you know what is best for you. If that means you are on a plane in a week or two after a nice holiday in Aus, so be it :)

Thanks guys. I'll give it some extra days for consideration, but I think working for someone/company/ in Australia will be worse than running my dads business, which is in my professional field. I will be closer to my parents /they don't live together/ and they are going in their 60s soon and to my friends and everything else. I know EU is not doing well recently /Bulgaria is not doing well at all/, but I'll take my chance - and I'm sure EU will go in the right way in a couple of years /2008 nobody wanted to leave, unemployment 8%/. I have the right to come back till 2017, which is not that bad and I have the money to do it. But being alone here /I mean no family to give your best for/ is turning to be really hard for me. And I'm not sure I'm here after the money, which are supposed to facilitate your homesickness.

I'm in the UK so can't help - I do feel very sorry for you. It's a brave thing to do to relocate on your own; I could never have done it, so well done to you. I googled on Social meets in Brisbane and came across this. Have a click and see if there's anything to take your fancy. It may not be something you would normally think of, but clearly there are others out there who want to have a bit more of a social life. As I've read so many times on here, no-one will come knocking on your door; you have to go out there and find your life for yourself. It may be that Oz isn't for you, but I think you may regret going home too soon. Having said that, given that you struggled when you were in the States too, it could just be that you are a homebird and that back home with your family is where you should be and that recognising this is what you need for peace of mind. I don't know - only you can decide. Good luck to you. x

http://social.meetup.com/cities/au/brisbane/

Thanks guys. I'll give it some extra days for consideration, but I think working for someone/company/ in Australia will be worse than running my dads business, which is in my professional field. I will be closer to my parents /they don't live together/ and they are going in their 60s soon and to my friends and everything else. I know EU is not doing well recently /Bulgaria is not doing well at all/, but I'll take my chance - and I'm sure EU will go in the right way in a couple of years /2008 nobody wanted to leave, unemployment 8%/. I have the right to come back till 2017, which is not that bad and I have the money to do it. But being alone here /I mean no family to give your best for/ is turning to be really hard for me. And I'm not sure I'm here after the money, which are supposed to facilitate your homesickness.

I have to ask, given everything you've said above, why you even bothered to migrate to Aus. Sounds to me like you were happy with your life, you have all the people around you and all that.

If you don't like it get on with your life and move somewhere else or back to the UK.

Did you read the post PB? The OP isn't from the UK. Home is Bulgaria and that is where he is thinking of going back to.

No one knows what it'll feel like until they are actually there.After settling in abit it might of just hit you that,yes this is it,I'm here alone and family/friends are thousands of miles away.If it were me I would give it longer,to meet some new people,and connect.I've just googled this (did'nt actually look into it,as I did'nt have time)but maybe it might be helpful to you? http://www.bgqld.org.au/ I'd get out and about abit first.Things also might settle down abit once you have a job.Good luck.

I don't want to go to UK /thanks anyway/. I was on vacation for 4 days in London 3 years ago and I liked it. But I don't like big cities in general. I arrived in Brisbane assuming that I'll move to Gold Coast /I still have to go there next week/. I'm staying in Brisbane to be closer to CBD where the job interviews are /I haven't been to one yet/. I'm electrical engineer by the way. The market here is very strange in the electrical field - I don't understand that Australia is having 5.4% unemployment rate and the job 'electrician' is almost impossible to fill, but they don't do anything to facilitate the things and keep saying we are short of electricians; I feel so sorry for all the electricians coming here /and this tickets for everything - just ridiculous/. I didn't come to make a living here, I came to work as an engineer so I'm not driving a taxi. I came here with no plan, I came here because I had the opportunity and I decided just to try it out. I didn't want to come here alone, but things didn't go the way I wanted. And all the visa waiting etc was pretty fast /I expected to wait around 2 years, but all happened for 10 months, I got my 175 in 3 months/ I had to come before 07.2013 to activate my visa. Maybe I shoud go home because I think this is right now, and if I decide to come back I'll just go to Melbourne /this city is closer to my understanding that it's not right to get dark at 18:45 during the summer/. I should check the visa types if I meet somebody and decide to marry.

Only you know how you really feel, If you are sure Oz isn't for you then so be it!! Your life your decision.. as you say you have plenty of time to return to as at a later date if you wish to do so.

Very easy for others to say.. " give it longer" etc, but they are not you, Just because it may have worked for them doesn't mean it will be ok for someone else

All the very best in which ever path you decide to follow

I think you should try stick it out a bit longer, why not go do some trips, you will likely meets some backpackers around your age. It can be stressful when you are there on your own, maybe being with other for a few days might help. Fraser Island and Whitsundays are great 3 day trips.

Different citys have very different vibes, why not head down to Melbourne and see if you like it?

Least you will have a better understanding of where you would like to live if you do decide to come back in the future.

Not sure that I fully understand where you are coming from Phillip. You have a skills visa. It sounds like you are a clever guy and didn't come out to Oz on a whim. You have also plenty of experience of migration so would have a better idea than most of what to expect. While you might need some local tickets for your work, agencies & local firms can advise. In the meantime as others have suggested, maybe move to Melbourne. It will get dark there much later in the summer (though won't be as warm). 20 days is really not enough time to settle into a new country. I have been in Sydney for 18 months now and still struggle personally at times but the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. Get yourself settled into a place you like, get a job - any job while getting your tickets in place. Bar work is a really good way to meet loads of people - and settle into the community life. You like football so either go down the local bars & watch the games (Foxtel, ESPN and Setanta show most games live or repeated) and mix with people who share your interests. If you really don't want to be in Australia then go back but if you do then get through the next couple of months (they are the hardest) and I am sure you will grow to enjoy this country.

Edited by The Pom Queen
removed link as per rules

Australia can be a very lonely place. I have come across a number of Europeans over the years that didn't hack it and often around reasons related to what I mentioned.

If your family have a business I would probably look towards that depending how successful it is. You could give yourself a year in Australia just experiencing a different commercial environment with knowledge of a return at the back of your mind.

I don't want to go to UK /thanks anyway/. I was on vacation for 4 days in London 3 years ago and I liked it. But I don't like big cities in general. I arrived in Brisbane assuming that I'll move to Gold Coast /I still have to go there next week/. I'm staying in Brisbane to be closer to CBD where the job interviews are /I haven't been to one yet/. I'm electrical engineer by the way. The market here is very strange in the electrical field - I don't understand that Australia is having 5.4% unemployment rate and the job 'electrician' is almost impossible to fill, but they don't do anything to facilitate the things and keep saying we are short of electricians; I feel so sorry for all the electricians coming here /and this tickets for everything - just ridiculous/. I didn't come to make a living here, I came to work as an engineer so I'm not driving a taxi. I came here with no plan, I came here because I had the opportunity and I decided just to try it out. I didn't want to come here alone, but things didn't go the way I wanted. And all the visa waiting etc was pretty fast /I expected to wait around 2 years, but all happened for 10 months, I got my 175 in 3 months/ I had to come before 07.2013 to activate my visa. Maybe I shoud go home because I think this is right now, and if I decide to come back I'll just go to Melbourne /this city is closer to my understanding that it's not right to get dark at 18:45 during the summer/. I should check the visa types if I meet somebody and decide to marry.

Probably why I don't place too much emphasis on stats. It's a bet of mine that any number of areas are adequately covered now without the need for further immigration as many drift off into other areas below their qualification.

The end result being rather obvious in the not too distant future.

I arrived in Brisbane on 30th Jan 2013 and I've been here for 20 days. I was doing ok, but since yesterday I'm thinking only about home. I'm alright that I don't feel happy now, I mean I knew it was going to be hard the first 2 months. But I'm 31 single, still looking for a job, with a few contacts. I have the feeling that I'm not going to find my happiness in Australia. I'm from Ruse, Bulgaria and even though my home country is much poorer and worse organized than Australia - I'm thinking to go back home. I have what to do at home /help dad with business/, enjoy my sports /football, basketball/ - I watched a downloaded game the other day /Manchester - Real/ and I feeled scary that this is going to be for the rest of my life, looking for a wife etc. I like watching football /I'm going to the Roars game tomorow/ but I'm not able to watch the European games, Champions League, Premier League, La Liga etc. The good think is that my visa expires in 2017, I guess my entry actually activated my permanent resident visa. I miss my family /my tears go when i write that/, the friends, the real sports, the language /my english is very good, but still a second one/. It's going to turn an expensive trip, but you this what money are for - to be made and spent. I'm planning to go home in 2-3 weeks /let's first talk to my family today/. I applied for Medicare and tax file number two weeks ago so i'm expecting the letters this week, I scheduled a driving test in 10 days to get a driving license /but i'll probably cancel this one/. There is no point to leave right away, so I'll give myself 2 weeks to go to the Australian Zoo, Gold Coast and do other siteseeing in the Brisbane area. I really like the weather here, the people and the city looks pretty nice, but I really don't like that it gets dark at 18:30 and this is the whole year /17-18:45/. I was in the States for 27 months in my early twenties - I had struggle back then as well, but I had a more clear goal, stay for a while and save money. Now I don't really know what I'm doing here. What do you think, any advice?

Give it 6 months,if you are still in the same frame of mind go home.It seems home is where your heart is.Money,sunshine,nice home ect,don't mean nothing.Happiness, satisfaction and belonging, is what life is all about.My friends in Britain haven't got half the material thing i have.But they are happy. when i have been home on hoildays ,i'm so envious everyone down the local knows each other,it's so friendly, i miss all the family weddings,birthdays,Xmas ect.Never felt at home here,never felt i belonged here.But i stuck it out,for the material things and money,i hated it,now i loath it.How life just slips away from you,i can't beive i've stuck it out for 27 years.But we hope to go back home this year.if the houseing market picks up.Just hope this Tory government gets kicked out soon.The Tories were the reason we came here in the first place.Thatcher the Tyrant destroyed all Britain's heavy industries ten's of thousands like me left to get work..Cameron is destroying whats left.

I have been here six months now on the GC and things are very hard, I dont have homesick but starting to think the dream is turning into a nightmare due to lack of full time work in construction, looks like we may be heading back to uk.

If you're from Bulgaria mate you might benefit from hooking up with a social group from your country. Australia only gives back what you put into it like anywhere else. If I was settling in Oz I wouldn't choose Brissy or the Gold Coast. If all else fails you can settle in the UK within twelve months when immigration restrictions are lifted on Romania and Bulgaria. That is if you can handle the curries etc. good luck mate. Australia is full of opportunities.

I have been here six months now on the GC and things are very hard, I dont have homesick but starting to think the dream is turning into a nightmare due to lack of full time work in construction, looks like we may be heading back to uk.

lack of work was just one of our little issues, Our savings were just going down the drain, that and the kids not settling! So we cut our losses whilst we still had the money to return and buy a property!! Very hard when you have no income coming in, it's a constant worry x

I'm sorry to hear that there are other people having trouble settling in Australia. I almost make my mind and I'll be probably going back home in two week. I'll buy the ticket probably tomorow if nothing extraordinary happens. Thanks for the invitations but I don't want to move to Britain. I can always come back till 2017 so there is no point to screw my soul right now. Thanks for all the advices.

Mate I just can't get my head around why you would only stay for such a short time after going through all the hassle of getting a visa that some would cut their right arm off for.

Your reasons for not liking it, not being able to see soccer games for one seem crazy. Get foxtel all the soccer you want is on there, or go to the pub to watch it, you might even meet a few people and have a good night out.

Go home if you think it's the answer. Pity visas can't be just passed on to the next person on the list.