457 visa and temporary work should I lose my job

kimmynicholls

Hi all. Curious about 457 temp visas. We have the opportunity to go to Canberra on a perm 190 but heard Canberra is not all that for fun loving partying 30 something's. So the other option is to go to Perth on a 457 but we are concerned that if hubby loses his job or gets made redundant he only has 28 days to find another job. If that happens can he get a temporary job or does it have to be another permanent job? I understand it has to be in the same field of work. What does everyone think? 190 in Canberra for 2 years or 457 to Perth? Thanks

Thanks for the reply. We have had a long chat tonight and we will go to Perth on a temp 457.

However can anyone answer this question. If OH loses his job or gets made redundant and only has 28 days to find another job, can he get a temporary job or does it have to be another permanent job?

thanks

If your OH was to loose his job with his sponsoring employer, and wanted to remain on that 457, he would need to find another employer who was eligible to meet the criteria required by DIAC to be an employer sponsor in order to take over the sponsorship of his 457.

If by temporary job (as all 457 are as such temp) to take any old job that comes along in the meantime, until he finds another employer sponsor, the answer is no as this would be a breach of the conditions of the visa.

You think Perth is more buzzing than Canberra? Hmm, now if you had said Sydney or even Melbourne I would have believed you but Perth? (Read some of the posts on here about the boredom engendered by living in Perth!) I'd go for the permanent option - nothing binding you there if you find it doesnt float your boat after a year or so. IMHO it's insane to gamble your life on a temporary visa when you have the option of a permanent one.

You think Perth is more buzzing than Canberra? Hmm, now if you had said Sydney or even Melbourne I would have believed you but Perth? (Read some of the posts on here about the boredom engendered by living in Perth!) I'd go for the permanent option - nothing binding you there if you find it doesnt float your boat after a year or so. IMHO it's insane to gamble your life on a temporary visa when you have the option of a permanent one.

Same wavelength buzz! It's official then, the Perth party scene sucks slightly! :)

Thanks for the reply. We have had a long chat tonight and we will go to Perth on a temp 457.

So why did you ask? i answered your question within 2 minutes of you posting. :laugh:

However can anyone answer this question. If OH loses his job or gets made redundant and only has 28 days to find another job, can he get a temporary job or does it have to be another permanent job?

thanks

Don't really understand what you mean about temporary jobs and permanent jobs, he is on a temporary visa so any job is surely temporary. Anyway, if he loses his job he will receive notice of visa cancellation and will need to find another visa in this time. This will involve finding another employer to take over the sponsorship, until that is done, then no he cannot start another job, he can only work for the sponsoring employer.

I am inclined to agree wih Quoll, Perth is hardly a happening place for a young couple. At least Canberra is not so isolated and an easy trip to Sydney, Melbourne, and the east coast.

Edited by Rupert

thanks

Legally, there is nothing stopping you getting a 190 visa sponsored by ACT and never setting foot in Canberra. The states have no input into your visa beyond the sponsorship. Morally it is however a dilemma.

Hi all. Curious about 457 temp visas. We have the opportunity to go to Canberra on a perm 190 but heard Canberra is not all that for fun loving partying 30 something's. So the other option is to go to Perth on a 457 but we are concerned that if hubby loses his job or gets made redundant he only has 28 days to find another job. If that happens can he get a temporary job or does it have to be another permanent job? I understand it has to be in the same field of work. What does everyone think? 190 in Canberra for 2 years or 457 to Perth? Thanks

Canberra has the least restrictive liquor lic'ing rules in Australia. Add in all the young people from NSW country towns who move for the jobs and I think you'll do just fine. When sgl I was out until 5:00 am most nights, not actually sure how I survived to be honest