ozziepom1963

Commonwealth seniors card

Hi everyone on this bright hot sunny day in Western Australia :jiggy:

My mum at the age of 75 has been approved for the contributory parent visa yay! She is going to be living with my husband and I.Can anyone tell me that if she qualifies for the commonwealth senior card will she still be able to get the senior supplements if she is living with us? Or do they only give to them if they live in there own dwelling?

thanks in advance :laugh:

I'm not sure what you mean by the Commonwealth seniors card or senior supplements.

The various Australian states issue their own seniors card and the conditions vary from state to state. For information on the Western Australian one, you can go here:

http://www.communities.wa.gov.au/serviceareas/seniorscard/Pages/default.aspx

But I'm not sure if that is what you meant?

You can get a seniors card at 60 but its not for health just for travel and getting reduction at some venues and businesses.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Hi everyone on this bright hot sunny day in Western Australia :jiggy:

My mum at the age of 75 has been approved for the contributory parent visa yay! She is going to be living with my husband and I.Can anyone tell me that if she qualifies for the commonwealth senior card will she still be able to get the senior supplements if she is living with us? Or do they only give to them if they live in there own dwelling?

thanks in advance :laugh:

In order to qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card which gives discounts on prescriptions among other things, she will need to have been in Australia for 2 years.

However, she should be eligible for the WA Seniors Card (assuming she will not be working) which gives free travel on Transperth and also various discounts on things. The only way she can get discounts for the property is if she registers it as being in her name. I did get a small discount on the electricity for our rental property but I had to register for the bills to be sent to me and paid by me. Help with rates is only available if she owns her own home.

I can't find the links at the moment but if you Google 'Commonwealth Seniors Card' and 'WA Seniors Card' you should get all the information.

Thank you Can she get her prescriptions free if she has paid the contributory parent payment? She won't be working and she will be living with me so I can take care of her in years to follow

We own our own home where she will be living, she doesn't drive, so I will be driving her around. I was just wondering if she would get the supplement for power etc and the fuel voucher yearly?

If she is living with you then she will not get any assistance. If she is boarding with you and you have an agreement in place she would have to submit this to Centrelink as depending on her income she may be entitled to some rent allowance. If you were retired and she was sick or disabled you may get a carers allowance.

Prescriptions are not free they are $5.50 approx and if the drug is a special one can be more expensive, mum pays eight dollars for one of hers. My oh pays seventy dollars for one of his. I pay $52.00 for one of the drugs I take. This is per month.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

We own our own home where she will be living, she doesn't drive, so I will be driving her around. I was just wondering if she would get the supplement for power etc and the fuel voucher yearly?

When she was granted the CPV you (or she) should have been given information about any entitlements or benefits she may receive. If you haven't received it ring Department of Immigration.

I don't know anything about a fuel allowance - that must be a West Australian benefit for senior citizens? We certainly don't receive that in this state.

She would receive a rebate on power bills only if she was entitled to a Centrelink card and she was living in her own accommodation and responsible for paying her power bills.

Similarly with reductions in the costs of pharmaceuticals: she would receive this only if she was entitled to a Centrelink or Health Care (low income) card.