Please Help

Xeneminie

Hello everyone,

I've got a couple of question.

My friend who is in England has applied for a Working Holiday Visa and it was granted a couple of hours later. When she got the e-mail with the grant number, the date of birth was incorrect by 2 days, how do we change that? And is that going to matter a lot? Will they charge to change just the date of birth? Everything else is correct.

Also, the available funds? Who has recently come to Australia, Perth mainly, and been asked to show evidence, and are there any ways around it? Can I sign a stat declaration saying that I am willing to support her during her stay in Australia? Would that help? She will be arriving at 5.40am, does that make a difference. I'm here on a permanent visa.

Reason why I am posting is because I already had an account with this forum.

Please any help would be great, she's flying out on the 11th of March 2013 so we need help fast.

Thank you everyone in advance :)

Hmmm about the date of birth. Is it possible she filled the form out incorrectly? Hopefully someone will be able to answer on this as to if its a problem.

With regard to funds, the idea is she has funds to support herself for her stay. She should have access to sufficient funds either in her account, visa credit card or some such. Its not wise to go on a WHV without some financial fall back in savings IMHO. You can put emergencies on a credit card but for day to day living etc savings are better. Especially for a plane ticket to get out of Aus at the end. Sometimes work isn't around or doesn't pay much and so savings are good to have. Aus immigration states something like $5000 AUD which is reasonable. Some go over with less, others more but she really should not chance it with say £500 IMHO.

As for being asked to show proof. Often not but sometimes they do. Hence its good to have some savings to show and so on.

Hmmm about the date of birth. Is it possible she filled the form out incorrectly? Hopefully someone will be able to answer on this as to if its a problem.

With regard to funds, the idea is she has funds to support herself for her stay. She should have access to sufficient funds either in her account, visa credit card or some such. Its not wise to go on a WHV without some financial fall back in savings IMHO. You can put emergencies on a credit card but for day to day living etc savings are better. Especially for a plane ticket to get out of Aus at the end. Sometimes work isn't around or doesn't pay much and so savings are good to have. Aus immigration states something like $5000 AUD which is reasonable. Some go over with less, others more but she really should not chance it with say £500 IMHO.

As for being asked to show proof. Often not but sometimes they do. Hence its good to have some savings to show and so on.

Hello, thank you for the reply.

Yes, she did enter the wrong day by accident. Only 2 days off. She's worried and has e-mail the department but has not heard back yet, it has only been a day though. She will call the London offices on Monday morning to see what is happening. She's just worried that her visa will be taken away from her, and she has booked the flights now the same day the visa was granted.

So the money does not have to be in her account? Can she have about $2500 in her account and another $2500 in her parents account that can be transferred immediately if she needs it?

When I first came here on a working holiday visa, I was coming from Bali, and did not have any savings, they did not even check.

She's always worrying about something, and I didn't want her worrying too much over the weekend about her visa, so thought I would ask for her.

Has anyone had funds but not the full $5000 in savings, was checked and was able to enter Australia with no problem on a Working Holiday Visa?

Most people won't be asked to prove funds, still it would be a good idea to have an answer for that just in case she is that rare one that is picked out. It also just is a good idea to have funds of course.

Does it need to be in her account, or can it be for example in her parents account that they can transfer quickly. What if she only has $3000 in her bank account?

The goverment only advice a guideline. So unless you really come with next to nothing they cant really turn you away! I have never known them to check anyones bank account. Even with several of my friends being questioned by immigration. In regards to her visa get her to call immigration. There should be a number on their website.

The goverment only advice a guideline. So unless you really come with next to nothing they cant really turn you away! I have never known them to check anyones bank account. Even with several of my friends being questioned by immigration. In regards to her visa get her to call immigration. There should be a number on their website.

Thank you for that! I will let her know.

She has emailed the department as soon as she saw the mistake, and she already said she is going to call them Monday morning as soon as they open. I came first to Australia on a working holiday visa with practically nothing and was never asked a thing! She will have some saving though so I think she will be alright.

Thank you for that! I will let her know.

She has emailed the department as soon as she saw the mistake, and she already said she is going to call them Monday morning as soon as they open. I came first to Australia on a working holiday visa with practically nothing and was never asked a thing! She will have some saving though so I think she will be alright.

She should be fine re savings. So long as she has some to show and access to more I doubt she'll have problems if they do stop her and ask.

And she can only wait and see what they say once she speaks or hears from someone in email. I have to be honest, I've never heard someone making this kind of mistake on their application for a WHV so its a new one on me.

She should be fine re savings. So long as she has some to show and access to more I doubt she'll have problems if they do stop her and ask.

And she can only wait and see what they say once she speaks or hears from someone in email. I have to be honest, I've never heard someone making this kind of mistake on their application for a WHV so its a new one on me.

She was on the phone to me while filling out the form, her birthday is on 9th of November, and we we're talking about her coming here on the 11th of March, as that was one of the questions on the form, and she accidentally put in 11th of November. Its still one of those drop down menu's and I can see it as a honest mistake, I'm sure if she explains they can change it without effecting her visa, as it is only few days, and everything else was correct on the form, plus her passport details were all correct. She did not notice the mistake until a couple of hours later when her visa was granted. Pretty quick that was too.

I made a more serious mistake on my permanent visa and they changed it for me pretty quickly. Just the waiting over the weekend is a killer.

The goverment only advice a guideline. So unless you really come with next to nothing they cant really turn you away! I have never known them to check anyones bank account. Even with several of my friends being questioned by immigration.

Unfortunately thus advice is completely wrong - it is not 'advice' it us a requirement of the visa, and thet ate perfectly legally entitled to send you straight back on the next plane if you don't have the required funds and they check. Yes it might seem nit picky, and yes its only the minority that get checked, but if they do, and you do not have access to the funds they can send you home. A credit card with the appropriate limit would be fine - can she not get one herself, or ask her parents to get her a card on their account perhaps?

The date of birth might also be a big issue, and one that will almost certainly lead then to check on the money situation, as it will call attention to your friend as her dob won't match her passport dob, which just looks dodgy (not saying she has done anything wrong, just how it might look to a suspicious immi official)y. Tell her to call diac (the number will probably be on the email with the visa) and ask them directly, they will tell her exactly what can be done - I'm sure they will just cancel the first one and reissue it, Ozzie red tape seems pretty easy from our experiences :)

Edited by PositivePixie

Unfortunately thus advice is completely wrong - it is not 'advice' it us a requirement of the visa, and thet ate perfectly legally entitled to send you straight back on the next plane if you don't have the required funds and they check. Yes it might seem nit picky, and yes its only the minority that get checked, but if they do, and you do not have access to the funds they can send you home. A credit card with the appropriate limit would be fine - can she not get one herself, or ask her parents to get her a card on their account perhaps?

The date of birth might also be a big issue, and one that will almost certainly lead then to check on the money situation, as it will call attention to your friend as her dob won't match her passport dob, which just looks dodgy (not saying she has done anything wrong, just how it might look to a suspicious immi official)y. Tell her to call diac (the number will probably be on the email with the visa) and ask them directly, they will tell her exactly what can be done - I'm sure they will just cancel the first one and reissue it, Ozzie red tape seems pretty easy from our experiences :)

Thank you for the reply.

She e-mailed them as soon as it was approved as she saw it was incorrect, tried calling them yesterday but they close at 4.30pm and she missed them by few minutes, so she is calling them again first thing Monday morning. She does not want to travel with a mistake on her visa.

I'm still personally so confused about the available funds. I know people who only had $3000 in savings, we're asked and it was fine, I guess it needs to be a reasonable amount. I was not asked, but maybe I was just lucky, and very lucky as I had no money. Lol. The weekend wait is a killer though. She's so nervous, she's also nervous about flying on top of that. Poor thing.

My friend just told me that she has 3500pounds to take with her, which makes it $5155.50 dollars. That is fine isn't it?

She'll be good.

I'd suggest she look to opening up an Aus bank account online and transfer the funds before she leaves so its there waiting for her when she arrives. Well, its what I would do. I'd not carry that much cash on me.

She'll be good.

I'd suggest she look to opening up an Aus bank account online and transfer the funds before she leaves so its there waiting for her when she arrives. Well, its what I would do. I'd not carry that much cash on me.

Thanks for the advice, I'll speak to her about it now.

You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AUD5000 may be regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.

You may be asked to provide evidence. Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

that is what is posted from the immi website. So they say 5k is regarded sufficent but dependent on length of stay. How are they to know you dont plan on staying for 6months or 3! Like you xeneminie i came with no savings and was fine. Chances re very slim i wouldnt stress it if she plans on saving around 3k anyway :)

,my 2 friends came over in jan and one came with just under 2k and was fine :). And im sure shes not the first one to make a mistake and it can easily be changed

That is what I said to her, and on the IMMI website it says the application only has to re-lodged if the name or passport number is incorrect, so if its something so small I'm sure she can get it done on the phone when she rings and explains.