Why are Aussies so insecure?

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

Seriously, I cant believe how insecure Australians are about their country. They believe they live in the greatest country in the world but get their knickers in a twist if you dare to criticise absolutely anything about it. I have noticed it jusr recently on here that the few resident Aussies get really would up by the slightest thing. It would be acceptable if they didnt complain about everything when they go overseas. It really is one of the big things that would stop me returning to live in Australia, the incredible insecurity. Why does criticism bother them so much ?

Bear in mind that I grew up in Australia and love the country an enormous amount but the people absolutely drive me to distraction.

I do get protective of England but in all fairness most of what I say is tongue firmly in cheek.

I think it is because they are a new country and have been a very small player on the world scene. The rest of the world largely ignores them. So, they feel pretty insecure. Also, the reality is, that a lot of Oz is dull as bat crap. Yes, the desert is stunning the first 10 minutes and you go, "ohhh, look at that red dirt and blue sky. 10 mins later, ohhh look at that red dirt and blue sky" Wear a bit thin pretty quick

Is it the fact that this country was basically formed by nicking it from the original Australians before slaughtering them?. Or that it was essentially a rubbish bin for the British to dump their undesirables?. Either way it's a country which (in it's current incarnation at least) came into being under a bit of a shadow. Then you have decades of immigrants coming here because they feel that their country of origin was holding them back or was unable to offer them the lifestyle they wanted. They get here and secure that life and in the process over-identify with their new country, becoming pathetically grateful to it for what it offers them. All the while harbouring resentment towards their countries of origin for failing them. How many posts do you read on PIO from British people who feel aggrieved with the UK, that the government prioritises the needs of ethnic minorities, asylum-seekers, immigrants, single mothers etc ahead of their needs as the silent (sic) majority. The crack gets made often enough about Australians having a chip on their shoulder, but there are plenty of angry British white van drivers queuing up to get to Australia where they'll be quick to tell anyone who'll listen how the UK's gone to the dogs, how Australia is the future and thus beyond critical appraisal. And thus a whole new generation of chippy Australians are born!

Edited by User70277

Is it the fact that this country was basically formed by nicking it from the original Australians before slaughtering them?. Or that it was essentially a rubbish bin for the British to dump their undesirables?. Either way it's a country which (in it's current incarnation at least) came into being under a bit of a shadow. Then you have decades of immigrants coming here because they feel that their country of origin was holding them back or was unable to offer them the lifestyle they wanted. They get here and secure that life and in the process over-identify with their new country, becoming pathetically grateful to it for what it offers them. All the while harbouring resentment towards their countries of origin for failing them. How many posts do you read on PIO from British people who feel aggrieved with the UK, that the government prioritises the needs of ethnic minorities, asylum-seekers, immigrants, single mothers etc ahead of their needs as the silent (sic) majority. The crack gets made often enough about Australians having a chip on their shoulder, but there are plenty of angry British white van drivers queuing up to get to Australia where they'll be quick to tell anyone who'll listen how the UK's gone to the dogs, how Australia is the future and thus beyond critical appraisal. And thus a whole new generation of chippy Australians are born!

Yep, Tony Blair and Peter 'Mandy' Mendelsohn would be proud of all the Ford Sierra men on PIO!

Come on guys, I know most of what you say is tounge in cheek but how about practising what you preach. I agree with 99% of what you say but the remarks about White van man and sierra man are in danger of coming across as slightly elitist/snobby.

back OT.. I found the insecurity across the board from the senior management down to the tradies on the tools. Awesome australia syndrome has no class boundaries IMO.

Come on guys, I know most of what you say is tounge in cheek but how about practising what you preach. I agree with 99% of what you say but the remarks about White van man and sierra man are in danger of coming across as slightly elitist/snobby.

back OT.. I found the insecurity across the board from the senior management down to the tradies on the tools. Awesome australia syndrome has no class boundaries IMO.

By Sierra man, I'm referring to the stereotypical tory voter that new labour wanted to win back. The spin doctors believed he was real!

I think it's still the brash adolescent stage of development - a colonised Australia is still a fledgling compared with communities that go back for thousands of years and roll with the punches. Australia is still at the "my dads bigger than your dad" phase of development - brash, irrational and in your face! It hasn't really experienced the turmoil of other first world countries to slap it into place. Even the wildlife is big, brash and in your face (or, in the case of the dawn cacophony, in your ears!)

I think it's still the brash adolescent stage of development - a colonised Australia is still a fledgling compared with communities that go back for thousands of years and roll with the punches. Australia is still at the "my dads bigger than your dad" phase of development - brash, irrational and in your face! It hasn't really experienced the turmoil of other first world countries to slap it into place. Even the wildlife is big, brash and in your face (or, in the case of the dawn cacophony, in your ears!)

Basically, living in Australia is a bit like spending a fortnight with the in-laws and having to put up with their teenage kids telling you how great they are at everything, before sulking off when they don't get the attention they need from the grown-ups!

They aren't just insecure, but have a huge chip on their shoulders too. Some of them are quite frankly, just simply arrogant. Not so much the women, but the men. In actual fact, Aussie men make my skin crawl... the macho attitude they're trying to exhibit...little do they know it isn't clever, it isn't big, and it certainly isn't impressive... it's just pathetic.

That is so true

Edited by landv
repair quote

That is an excellent post.

Deserved far more than just a 'like" from me

• 1 month later...
Guest guest74886

Very old joke ,'why are Australians the most balanced people in the (Southern Hemisphere) world'.

Answer:-' because they have a chip on both shoulders'

Guest guest74886

Excellent post