(Advice needed) Surveying: What is most in demand?

mikeoz2007

Hi all,

I've decided to emigrate to Oz in three years time, and I've decided to go as a skilled worker, in the form of a surveyor.

I already have an idea of what *I* think would be the type of surveying where most jobs will be available come the time I get over there, But right now I'm in the lucky position where I have the option of choosing what type of surveying I want to start learning via a degree here in the UK.

If anyone can offer any thoughts or advice on what type of surveying work is most in demand over in Australia at the moment, and what they predict will be most in demand 3 years down the line, I'd really appreciate it. I only really get one shot at this, and I need to do it right, so I need as much advice as I can get :)

If you're in Australia and know about this sort of thing, or are based elsewhere and have done some really serious homework on this matter, I'd really really be thankful for any wisdom you can share :D

Thanks in advance folks!

It impossible to say what will even be on the list for a visa by the end of this year, let alone 3 years. Also, it wont just be 3 years. In order to pass a skills assessment you will need to get a few years experience in the UK

Hi,

Thanks, I am aware that the skilled migration list will change year on year, but it's a risk that I've already considered. Thanks for the advice on the experience time also.

More suggestions/advice is still welcome folks :)

Get cadastral. Here in QLD it's such a bind trying to get people certified by cadastral that we won't bother looking at surveyors unless they already have the qualification. Last time I spoke to our survey manager (I've tried to place a couple from this board) he said basically if they have the full certification already, it takes a long time to get them recognised here, if they don't, forget it.

I wouldn't base what field of surveying you go into just to get to Oz.

You would be setting yourself up for a fall.

I currently work as a CA (though in the UK my role was more PQS, but still for me the roles are very similar) If had chosen to study Building Surveying instead of QS then I wouldn't be in the field I love....

So you have to decide what you want to do then do it. do you know the difference between a Building Surveyor and QS for example?

• 2 weeks later...
...If had chosen to study Building Surveying instead of QS then I wouldn't be in the field I love....

So you have to decide what you want to do then do it. do you know the difference between a Building Surveyor and QS for example?

Hey,

Yes, I've deeply researched the different types of surveying because I am genuinely interested in getting into the field regardless, so I know what they involve. But I think it's pretty sound advice to choose the type that think I will enjoy most :)

On that note, can anyone speculate as what field of surveying has the most job vacancies open at the moment? I can only get so much of an idea by looking at Australian jobsearching websites, and I've heard that most of those are pretty unreliable at the best of times anyway. If anyone already in the surveying field can offer their opinion, it'd really help out.

Many thanks for your advice so far folks!