Anyone else been in similar situation?

Paulashacks

Hi all. We Would like to hear from anyone who has moved to the Sunshine Coast from the uk without a job to go to. Basically my hubby is a gas fitter over here and although he is willing to do anything we are worried that we end up moving over there and finding there is no work. He doesnt want to work for himself as apparently that is even harder to achieve. Can anyone give us some advice?

Hi thanks for the advice. I am 45 and hubby will be 40 soon. We have 2 girls 9 and 11. It's now or never really I guess. Just fed up of hardly seeing each other during the winter months. Any other device much appreciated.

I agree don't burn your bridges....can I ask why you don't see each other in the winter months? does your hubby work away?

I agree don't burn your bridges....can I ask why you don't see each other in the winter months? does your hubby work away?

Hi

No but he works such long hours and every other weekend in the winter so by the time he gets in he is really tired and grumpy and cant be bothered to do anything. In the summer it is totally different - sometimes only works 3 days a week and finishing earlier. I guess that's just his trade, but it really gets him down.

It is very scary I agree, but hopefully worth it. We just cant make a decision - at least nurses are required whether it's a hot climate or a cold one! We are really torn as we have a good life here but after visiting the Sunshine Coast in 2008 we have been wanting to emigrate. Only money stopped us before but we can now just about afford the move, is more the job prospects are what are holding us back. I am just an office worker so although I could probably get a job, it wouldnt keep us afloat as I hear food and bills are expensive. Good luck to you too, do you know where you would like to live?

Hi all. We Would like to hear from anyone who has moved to the Sunshine Coast from the uk without a job to go to. Basically my hubby is a gas fitter over here and although he is willing to do anything we are worried that we end up moving over there and finding there is no work. He doesnt want to work for himself as apparently that is even harder to achieve. Can anyone give us some advice?

Hi,

We're the same...we (me, my hubby and 6 year old son) fly on the 28th Feb.... We don't have jobs to go to but I have applied for 6 and have an interview on Wednesday night.....I'm an occupational therapist and my hubby works in construction. We are heading to the Sunshine Coast for at least the first 4 weeks....staying in holiday accommodation in Maroochydore....We are panicking a bit as well... Worried that we don't find jobs and we end up using our savings....fingers crossed it all works out........Good luck with you plans but I think you should just go for it.... You don't always get an opportunity like this and life's to short to be wondering "what if"........

Leah, Rab and Declan

Leaving Scotland in 17 days :biggrin:

Edited by Leah31

I will be unlikley to have a job to go to as I want to check out schools first so our rental will be based on catchment areas. Im a nurse and hoping there will be something! scary thought but fingers crossed! Good luck x

Just be aware that nursing jobs in Queensland can be difficult to find at the moment. Queensland health have virtually stopped recruiting and has been making redundancies...there are a lot of nurses looking for work at the moment. Better to have a back up plan or find a job before you come. The Sunshine coast does not have many hospitals

Hi, we are living in Brisbane and my husband is a gas fitter or at least he was until he was laid off at the end of November. He went to the agencies, because nothing was coming up for gas fitters, and now he is labouring on $22 hr (even that took 6 weeks to get though but it was over Christmas). Gas fitting jobs are quite rare in Queensland. Be very careful about what you are prepared to give up in the UK, I wish we were.

Edited by Maria1970
changed my mind

Hi, we are in a very similar situation we are hoping to move to Sunshine Coast, I am heading out on my own to do a bit of research on 10 March. My Hubby is also a Gas Fitter, so some of the comments on here a a bit worring. We run our own business here so may end up doing something similar in Aus, or if no need for it may do something completely different. Would be good to know how you hp get on with your move, where are you heading for, I'm trying out Buderim for a start, but may end up changing depending on what I find when I get there.