Not elligible for Working Visa, no money and living with partner

MissMyMum12

Hi there

Met my partner in March 2012, in Sydney. Went back to the UK, re-visited for 3 months, back to the UK, now back in NSW and on 12 month tourist visa (Expires July). As of 2 weeks ago, i am officially broke. I cannot work as i am 33, do not have a skilled profession and have no money to re-train for anything. Getting married is not an option and i cannot afford the cost of applying for a de-facto visa, that would grant me the right to work, even temporarily.

Has anyone been in this position? Do you have any suggestions? I miss working (for my own sanity and a healthy social life outside of my partner) and would relish the opportunity to earn some money.

Going home seems the only alternative and this, of course, is heartbreaking.

Can anyone help????

:ssign16:

Hi there

Met my partner in March 2012, in Sydney. Went back to the UK, re-visited for 3 months, back to the UK, now back in NSW and on 12 month tourist visa (Expires July). As of 2 weeks ago, i am officially broke. I cannot work as i am 33, do not have a skilled profession and have no money to re-train for anything. Getting married is not an option and i cannot afford the cost of applying for a de-facto visa, that would grant me the right to work, even temporarily.

Has anyone been in this position? Do you have any suggestions? I miss working (for my own sanity and a healthy social life outside of my partner) and would relish the opportunity to earn some money.

Can anyone help????

Well it doesn't really look like you qualify for the partner visa anyway at the moment.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any magical answers and you probably already know what your options are: a) your partner keeps you (this is what partners do in times of need), b) you get married and apply for partner visa then you would get working rights or c) you leave.

Hi there

Can anyone help????

I guess what concerns me here is that you say you cannot afford the cost of the de facto visa. Surely your partner ( as you cannot work) should be saving and paying for you to stay? That's what partners do for their loved ones when the situation dictates it.

Can your partner go to the UK on a tourist or working visa? If you go home you could also save for the visa costs and then legitimately apply for the defacto visa because you would have fulfilled the requirements.

One poster said that you may be entitled to help from Centrelink. The answer to this is a definite no. You are here on a tourist visa.

If you decide to stay until July, well then consider some voluntary work. That would get you out of the house and meeting people and would be great for your emotional well being.

My partner helps out when he can. I live here rent free as it is and i couldn't ask for more. My partner has dual citizenship for the UK a his Mum is British. He works in the UK July - September (for the season) and then returns to Australia. However, this has not been every year.

As your partner has dual citizenship and works in the UK most years, then I can't really see the problem. Go home, save some money and apply for the defacto visa. Alternatively, your partner could move to the UK on a more permanent basis to live with you.

You can't work because you are on a tourist visa not because of your age and lack of training. Looks like your only solution is to move to a place where you can work (borrow the fare and pay it back when you are working) and maybe your OH could move there with you - looks like he has that flexibility visa-wise.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that applies to work in your home country. Millions of tourists do online work and make phone calls for their job at home while on holiday. My employer requires staff to be available by email on leave, where ever they are in the World. Many large organisations require this of their staff. Are all these people breaking their visa conditions? I am not being a awkard, I would like to know as I look after visiting academics who do work for their home university online whilst on holiday.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that applies to work in your home country. Millions of tourists do online work and make phone calls for their job at home while on holiday. My employer requires staff to be available by email on leave, where ever they are in the World. Many large organisations require this of their staff. Are all these people breaking their visa conditions? I am not being a awkard, I would like to know as I look after visiting academics who do work for their home university online whilst on holiday.

That's a very good point, but there is a very distinct difference. They are visiting academics, not here on 12 month tourist visa living with their boyfriend.

They are not officially working, they are merely visiting, whilst remaining in contact with their home employers.Otherwise there would be hundreds of tourists here who could potentially be illegally working and thus breaking the terms of their visa.

Edited by Sammy1

Visiting academics are supposed to use a short stay business visa (subclass 456) which does allow them to work and not a tourist visa (subclass 676) which is for tourists only.