You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Dalebuk

Perth Fishing Spots

Not sure if this in the right section of the forum, so I apologise in advance if not :)

I have just been and got a bit of fishing gear, and I wondered where in Perth was good for fishing, I don't mind what I fish for to be honest, it's just to pass the time and help relax.

I have a 10ft telescopic beach/surf rod, and assorted tackle. I'm not a pro fisherman by all means, but hoping to teach myself the basics.

I live in Clarkson, Wanneroo, and don't mind driving for 30-40mins to get to a good location. Any advice from local fishing enthusiasts is welcomed :)

Thanks

Dale

Not sure if this in the right section of the forum, so I apologise in advance if not :)

I have just been and got a bit of fishing gear, and I wondered where in Perth was good for fishing, I don't mind what I fish for to be honest, it's just to pass the time and help relax.

I have a 10ft telescopic beach/surf rod, and assorted tackle. I'm not a pro fisherman by all means, but hoping to teach myself the basics.

I live in Clarkson, Wanneroo, and don't mind driving for 30-40mins to get to a good location. Any advice from local fishing enthusiasts is welcomed :)

Thanks

Dale

G'day mate, first off, what type of fishing??

Freshwater fishing is not the best in WA, a few redfin in the local dams and trout down around Denmark.

Sea fishing is another story altogether. My best advice to you is to google the WA fishing forums; they will be better to explain as it is over 40 years since I last fished the Metro area...and chuck away the telescopic rods.:wink:Can't remember anyone using them.

Good places to wet a line along the Perth beaches are the groynes and harbour walls.

Cheers, Bobj.

The breakwaters off Mindarie Marina - just 4 mins drive. Or the little beaches just at the North side of the marina, on the start of the path to Quinns. Try in the day, then after dusk - you'll get diffenert sorts of fish. Also, about 40mins North, Guilderton, Moore River estuary. Lots of people go up there fishing. There's a campsite if you want to make a weekend of it.

Wherever you are, make the most of it.

The breakwaters off Mindarie Marina - just 4 mins drive. Or the little beaches just at the North side of the marina, on the start of the path to Quinns. Try in the day, then after dusk - you'll get diffenert sorts of fish. Also, about 40mins North, Guilderton, Moore River estuary. Lots of people go up there fishing. There's a campsite if you want to make a weekend of it.

Yeh I just finished looking on google maps and it looks like there is a marina there, I'll go and check that out as it's the closest, I also saw one at Two Rocks which is only half an hour from here too!

Thanks for the input :)

G'day mate, first off, what type of fishing??

Freshwater fishing is not the best in WA, a few redfin in the local dams and trout down around Denmark.

Sea fishing is another story altogether. My best advice to you is to google the WA fishing forums; they will be better to explain as it is over 40 years since I last fished the Metro area...and chuck away the telescopic rods.:wink:Can't remember anyone using them.

Good places to wet a line along the Perth beaches are the groynes and harbour walls.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for the advice Bob, I wouldn't be looking at fresh water, it would be fishing from groynes and harbour walls, so I guess I'll check out my local marinas. Whilst I have your ear, what is it that is wrong with the telescopic rods? I only bought it because it compacts down and fits in the car/apartment a lot better, I presumed it would perform similar to a normal rod, just with a slightly lesser load rating? Thanks again

Thanks for the advice Bob, I wouldn't be looking at fresh water, it would be fishing from groynes and harbour walls, so I guess I'll check out my local marinas. Whilst I have your ear, what is it that is wrong with the telescopic rods? I only bought it because it compacts down and fits in the car/apartment a lot better, I presumed it would perform similar to a normal rod, just with a slightly lesser load rating? Thanks again

They are ok for tiddlers, but there are some mean beasts out there. Just check out the numbers of 4wds that have single piece beach rods.:wink: Also, ask the tackle dealers what they recommend for fishing the rock walls; as I said earlier, 40 years since I fished the Metro are. We used to have 7 ft spins and 12 lb mono.

Be aware of the laws for taking fish. WA used to have rather draconian laws.

Cheers, Bobj.

I'd go for a 12 foot plus beach rod myself, but you may get away with 10 foot telescopic on some of the northern beaches, and it would be fine off the groyes. They don't have a lot of surf. But you may struggle anywhere like Trigg. River fishing on the swan is not bad. Bream, flounder and flathead further inland. Tailor, cobbler, flounder and flathead and mackerel from Matilda bay onwards. (The river fish have been poisoned a few times, so they may not be worth worrying about). I've caught whiting, salmon, sea bream and cobbler from the beach. Crabbing can be very good too on the river (never tried it at sea). They used to do prawning, but doubt you'd catch anything. You only need one salmon and you can feed a family of four, but you'd probably have more luck further south. Be careful about sizes and numbers. My nephew copped a big fine (about $20,000) recently.

Edited by newjez

Not in your area i know, but if you fancy a trip SOR, my OH fishes at Woodmans Point, Coogee.

He has also had a few days fishing down Mgt River way and really enjoyed that. Camping at sites for $7 a night

On 08/02/2013 at 08:02, Dalebuk said:

Thanks

Dale

Good day Dale!
You may contact Edjargo Marine, a private boat charter based in Perth. They also offer party boat hire services as well as fishing charters. You may contact them at 0400833060.